• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earthbound spirits.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To all believers of the paranormal: How long do you think ghosts can stay earthbound? I've read a few cases online where people today still encounter ghostly apparitions of those who died many centuries ago in places like castles, battlefields etc.

Can they even linger on for millenniums? o_O

@Sgt. Pepper @Viker @George-ananda
@JustGeorge @The Hammer @RayofLight

My guess is that somehow, some way, they are having trouble going to a better plane, crossing over. There may not be a time limit so much as, the more time goes on, the more likely they might realize and go ahead and try to go to the other side. Anyway, that's my theory.

Viker

Häxan
Sorry, the critters petitioned for a late night snack, all four of them.:p

I'm not really sure how long. I have a theory that as long as there are folk who believe and interact with them then that is how long until they move beyond. They tend to attach themselves not only to familiar locations but to interacting with people at those locations, and vice versa. Many are caught and can't move beyond, maybe because they or we won't let go.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
To all believers of the paranormal: How long do you think ghosts can stay earthbound? I've read a few cases online where people today still encounter ghostly apparitions of those who died many centuries ago in places like castles, battlefields etc.

My first thought is that you may be confusing residual hauntings with intelligent hauntings.

In residual hauntings (which I understand to be the majority) the ghost is really a replay of past traumatic experiences. What is seen is not really intelligent or interactive with the current environment and is not possessed of a soul.

Intelligent hauntings are more what I call earthbound spirits which are still attached to places of their earthly experiences. They need to let go and move on often with the assistance of guides. This type of ghost is from more recent earthly times. Eventually they will move on.

Sometimes spirits already on a higher plane will return temporarily to the earth plane for specific reasons.

So, I think earthbound spirits do not remain for a millennium or anything close to that.

That's my best understanding.

The Crimson Universe

My first thought is that you may be confusing residual hauntings with intelligent hauntings.

In residual hauntings (which I understand to be the majority) the ghost is really a replay of past traumatic experiences. What is seen is not really intelligent or interactive with the current environment and is not possessed of a soul.

Intelligent hauntings are more what I call earthbound spirits which are still attached to places of their earthly experiences. They need to let go and move on often with the assistance of guides. This type of ghost is from more recent earthly times. Eventually they will move on.

Sometimes spirits already on a higher plane will return temporarily to the earth plane for specific reasons.

So, I think earthbound spirits do not remain for a millennium or anything close to that.

That's my best understanding.

I'm kinda familiar with residual hauntings actually. :=) Not sure if its a theory or an actual fact but paranormal experts like to hold onto the idea that sometimes catastrophic events leave behind residual imprints onto the locations where such events originally take place. They're like movie scenes that keeps playing on a loop for years (and as you said above) there are no intelligent entities or souls behind such phenomena.

What I don't understand is that, why would certain events leave imprints but not others. I mean so many tragic things happened in the past from the holocaust to the hiroshima bombings and yet we don't hear anyone reporting that they've seen those historical events playing on a loop.

If residual imprints are a real thing, then i wonder what exactly it is, that helps in planting some scenes in particular locations while rejecting others. :confused:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Earthbound- “Giygas”

I would like to believe… for as long as people remember them, or until they find peace enough to move on. I do wonder though… if spirits caught between worlds for too long might eventually degenerate into mindless husks. No rebirth, anywhere… just empty, hollow remnants of their final incarnations.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
I'm kinda familiar with residual hauntings actually. :=) Not sure if its a theory or an actual fact but paranormal experts like to hold onto the idea that sometimes catastrophic events leave behind residual imprints onto the locations where such events originally take place. They're like movie scenes that keeps playing on a loop for years (and as you said above) there are no intelligent entities or souls behind such phenomena.

What I don't understand is that, why would certain events leave imprints but not others. I mean so many tragic things happened in the past from the holocaust to the hiroshima bombings and yet we don't hear anyone reporting that they've seen those historical events playing on a loop.

If residual imprints are a real thing, then i wonder what exactly it is, that helps in planting some scenes in particular locations while rejecting others. :confused:

Yes, that's what I was going to say. From what I remember reading, yes it's like a looping tape.
I think what you're asking is why some imprints are recorded sometimes but not others?
It may have to do with, like a tape, the media. There are places where the the fabric of reality is thin.
An example would be a Fey Ring or a Ley Line. Also it may be effected by the power of the recording,
the 'volume'. You mention the A-bomb and the Camps, but those actual death events were short.
It might also require some other factors we don't understand.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Based on my knowledge of the spirit world, I do not believe that the spirit world is a static place (heaven and hell), but rather the afterlife is an everlasting existence where human spirits can come and go as they please. Therefore, I don't believe that there is a time limit for how long an intelligent human spirit can stay earthbound. I believe that spirits (human and non-human entities) can travel between the spirit world and the physical world as often as they please by going through a spiritual vortex (read here) or through a spirit portal (mirrors, windows, and doorways, for example). I also believe that human spirits can choose to cross over into the spirit world or they can choose to return to the physical world and remain for as long as they desire. That being said, I know that there are human spirits who remain earthbound because they are stuck and unable to cross over on their own. I've communicated with spirits who didn't realize that they were dead, and they were scared and confused. They either died a sudden and unexpected death or a tragic death. I've also communicated with spirits who were angry about dying or who died a brutal death, and they refused to cross over into the spirit world. They chose to be earthbound and remain at the location where they died. An angry or confused spirit can also attach themselves to an object that means something to them or they can attach themselves to a living person, whether the person is someone they once knew or someone who tried to interact with them after they died, such as a paranormal investigator.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Based on my knowledge of the spirit world, I do not believe that the spirit world is a static place (heaven and hell), but rather the afterlife is an everlasting existence where human spirits can come and go as they please. Therefore, I don't believe that there is a time limit for how long an intelligent human spirit can stay earthbound. I believe that spirits (human and non-human entities) can travel between the spirit world and the physical world as often as they please by going through a spiritual vortex (read here) or through a spirit portal (mirrors, windows, and doorways, for example). I also believe that human spirits can choose to cross over into the spirit world or they can choose to return to the physical world and remain for as long as they desire. That being said, I know that there are human spirits who remain earthbound because they are stuck and unable to cross over on their own. I've communicated with spirits who didn't realize that they were dead, and they were scared and confused. They either died a sudden and unexpected death or a tragic death. I've also communicated with spirits who were angry about dying or who died a brutal death, and they refused to cross over into the spirit world. They chose to be earthbound and remain at the location where they died. An angry or confused spirit can also attach themselves to an object that means something to them or they can attach themselves to a living person, whether the person is someone they once knew or someone who tried to interact with them after they died, such as a paranormal investigator.
That is fascinating and it all makes sense. I have some questions I will be asking you in a private Conversation.

In that book Private Dowding, he did not realize he was dead at first since he died a sudden death. Below is an excerpt from the book.

“Physical death is nothing. There really is no cause for fear. Some of my pals grieved for me. When I 'went West" they thought I was dead for good. This is what happened. I have a perfectly clear memory of the whole incident. I was waiting at the corner of a traverse to go on guard. It was a fine evening. I had no special intimation of danger, until I heard the whizz of a shell. Then following an explosion, somewhere behind me. I crouched down involuntarily, but was too late. Something struck, hard, hard hard, against my neck. Shall I ever lose the memory of that hardness? It is the only unpleasant incident that I can remember. I fell and as I did so, without passing through an apparent interval of unconsciousness, I found myself outside myself! You see I am telling my story simply; you will find it easier to understand. You will learn to know what a small incident this dying is.

Think of it! One moment I was alive, in the earthly sense, looking over a trench parapet, unalarmed, normal. Five seconds later I was standing outside my body, helping two of my pals to carry my body down the trench labyrinth towards a dressing station. They thought I was senseless but alive. I did not know whether I had jumped out of my body through shell shock, temporarily or for ever. You see what a small thing is death, even the violent death of war! I seemed in a dream. I had dreamt that someone or something has knocked me down. Now I was dreaming that I was outside my body. Soon I should wake up and find myself in the traverse waiting to go on guard...It all happened so simply. Death for me was a simple experience--no horror, no long-drawn suffering, no conflict. It comes to many in the same way. My pals need not fear death. Few of them do; nevertheless there is an underlying dread of possible extinction. I dreaded that; many soldiers do, but they rarely have time to think about such things. As in my case, thousands of soldiers pass over without knowing it. If there be shock, it is not the shock of physical death. Shock comes later when comprehension dawns: "Where is my body? Surely I am not dead!' In my own case, I knew nothing more than I have already related, at the time. When I found that my two pals could carry my body without my help, I dropped behind. I just followed, in a curiously humble way. Humble? Yes, because I seemed so useless. We met a stretcher party. My body was hoisted on to the stretcher. I wondered when I should get back into it again. You see, I was so little 'dead' that I imagined I was still physically alive. Think of it a moment before we pass on. I had been struck by a shell splinter. There was no pain. The life was knocked out of my body; again, I say, there was no pain.Then I found that the whole of myself--all, that is, that thinks and sees and feels and knows--was still alive and conscious! I had begun a new chapter of life. I will tell you what I felt like. It was as if I had been running hard until, hot and breathless, I had thrown my overcoat away. The coat was my body, and if I had not thrown it away I should have suffocated. I cannot describe the experience in a better way; there is nothing else to describe.” Private Dowding, p. 14-16