• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Earth, Air, Fire, Water

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Earth
Earth is the Element of stability, the foundation of the Elements themselves. While Earth doesn't necessarily represent the physical Earth itself, it does symbolize the part that is stable, dependable and solid. Earth means prosperity, abundance, and wealth. Without the Earth, the other Elements could not exist. It helps one to ground energy and to assist in focus. It is able to nourish, see, touch, affirm, smell feel and hold; it is sensual and practical. Earth is slow, but steady and yet is ever changing while still being able to remain the same. Earth is a feminine Element, being nurturing, moist and fruitful.

Earth people are practical, they like organization, and have the necessary quality of strength. Being steady and solid, they have a strong sense of responsibility. The Earth signs are concerned with reality and the home life (family and work). Kind and cautious, Earth people are loyal to any who can win their friendship and trust. They have been known to hold a grudge for years, or can forgive with little effort. They are attracted to power, and can be possessive and/or manipulative.

Air
Thought to be the subtle material realm between the spiritual and physical plane. Representing intellect, new beginnings and creative imagination, Air is where all thoughts are from, and where the spirit goes to be nurtured. A masculine Element, Air is associated with breath or the spirit/soul of all living creatures, and being dry, expansive and active. It rules rituals and spells involving travel, instruction, obtaining knowledge, freedom, uncovering lies, and discovering lost items; it can also be used to help develop psychic abilities.

Communication is the main concern for Air people. Those under the Air sign think, communication, analyze and theorize. Loving freedom, truth, justice and have the aptitude to change circumstances with amazing speed. They rely on rationality as thinkers, rather than on emotions or intuition to confront situations. They have a philosophical approach that permits them to endure adversity. Able to tolerate almost any circumstance provided that there is a coherent explanation for it. Air people have a great sense of leadership and a reputation of being reasonable.

The Air sign becomes negative when the expectation of everyone upholding the same standards comes up. They cannot comprehend why people do not think and/or act as they do. Mistakes are rationalizes rather than perceiving them as learning experiences. Air people are dedicated to abstract ideas but have difficulty deciding if those ideas are illusive and frustrating at times. When they are not able to cope with reality, they can escape to try and live in a fairy tale world.

Fire The Element of change, will and passion; and in a sense, Fire contains all form of magick within, since magick is a process of change. This is not an element for the faint-hearted, for this can be quite frightening. Results can be very quickly and spectacularly. It is the area of sexuality and passion. Though it is not only for sex, it is also the spark which is within us and all living creatures.

People under the sign of Fire are extremely passionate. They live to the fullest and have powerful emotions. Everything is intense under this Sign, and when nothing is happening, they have been known to create something, even if it's not for the best. They are seekers of passion and willing to suffer in order to avoid boredom. Their minds are active and fast, often quick to anger and to forget about it. They tend to get involved quickly, but lack the staying power of other elemental signs. They life for the moment, and are passionate and brilliant.

Water
The sign of Water is receptive and passionate. Associated with the universal womb, birth and fertility and the Great Mother. It is life destroying and life giving. Water is used to cleanse and/or purify psychically and physically. It's the emotional response to the situation. Water is a sensitive, inspiring intuition and part of the Goddess in everyone. It is remembering the past as well as foreseeing the future. Water involves pleasure, friendship, fertility, marriage, happiness, sleep, healing, purification, psychic acts and dreaming.

Water people can sense the feelings of others and are well aware of surroundings on the emotional plane. Everything becomes sacred, as they live in a spiritual world. These people are nurturing and protecting. Though sometimes they can find it difficult to decide what they should draw their attention to, and what they should leave alone. Sensitivity is the major problem with those under the Water sign. They can break under stress and if they cannot control their sensitivity, will sometimes escape through alcohol, drugs and/or other addictions. And due to a lack of control, they can hold grudges.

- paraphrased from Scott Cunningham's Earth, Air, Fire & Water

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Pretty much what Gentoo said. :)

I will add from my own perspective that I see air and water as needing to be in balance with each other - wisdom and compassion. Too much emotion without intellect and all you have is sentimentality. Too much reason without love and you get... well imo it ain't good. Together, they make up the horizontal axis.

I see fire as will, as potentiality, as one's own view of how the world should be. And I see earth as fruition, as actuality, as how the world is. Life again, is an interplay, perhaps a balance, between what we will it to be and what is. Together, they make up the vertical axis.

I saw you had another thread on the cycle of life. To me, the elements fit into that seamlessly.

Air is Spring, East, morning, beginning, the planting of a seed.
Fire is Summer, South, noon, working, vigorous growth.
Water is Autumn, West, sunset, ripening, harvest.
Earth is Winter, North, midnight, not ending but renewal, rest.

It doesn't have to refer to a literal seed. Like you said, most of us are not farmers. It can refer to anything that we do. One's whole life in fact.

Alva

Besides all representations, I look at the Forth as Guides :)

They contain lessons on our human dimensions, needs and values. ;)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can anyone tell me what the elements earth, air, fire, and water represent?
Earth is substance. Air is spirit. Fire is animation. Water is imagination.

Substance and imagination give form to being.
Spirit and animation give life to being.
Death is given form in the loss of spirit and animation.
"God" is given life in the lack of substance and imagination.

AlsoAnima

Friend
So far people have covered it pretty well, but the list is pretty long for each element, and not really as static as most pagans would like to think. In any case it's really the fact that the elements are such STRONG symbols that makes them important.

But then, I could be wrong. :D

FreeSpirit

Life is wonder...
I would like to thank you all very much for this. I've been trawling the internet looking for a respectable interpretation of the elements, to no avail. This goes to show that RF is very useful.

Many blessings :flower: