• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drugs are dangerous but also potentially helpful

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Drug prohibition is canon to most young adults. In the year 2005 almost three-fourths of all twenty year olds admitted consuming more than a few drops of alcohol in a setting that was not in agreement with their state's regulations. Alcohol is of course one of the least restricted "hard" drugs one can came across, but its effects are quite devastating in excess and produce more tragedies each year than anyone finds acceptable.

In an ideal world, how would drug education be treated?

I ask this question because I find drugs to be both dangerous (and that includes weed, although the physical harm is much less - people are recreationally addicted to getting high) and yet not entirely objectionable. I won't incriminate myself on describing my explorations, but I find that drugs and a group of friends that are not conducive towards "blasting their brains out" with any substance short of arsenic can help young adults realize self-empowerment ironically. Discovering drugs, falling for their enticements, and then emerging with a new appreciation for moderation can be a beautiful development. Few drugs in moderation are dangerous, and I would argue that if one has the will power, either through experience or innateness, all but the very strong drugs have the potential to improve one's life, just like a good bit of food, meditation, sex, or hobbies.

That said drugs also easily lure people in by offering them hedonistic paradises. The logician can recline on a sofa and let hallucinogen open up his or her mind; the partier can pop a few pills of ecstasy and be engulfed in love; the tired and stressed can just smoke a blunt and hide away in lethargy. All of the drugs listed are fine when appropriately used, but so many people abuse even "soft drugs" that I'm left wondering if drug programs should really take up a less clandestine approach that goes along with progressive sexual education: "abstinence is the safest route, but if you're going to take drugs, here's what you need to know."

For example, there's two points I hammer home to anyone who starts experimenting. I admit upfront that person X will probably have the time of his or her life (whether "rolling your nuts off" or "tripping" or "blazed" or "shwasted") but watch out for these thought processes. They usually occur in sequential order:
- I want to experiment further. [Cocaine? Heroine? Meth? Speedballing?]
- Other people may not handle it, but I can.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In an ideal world, how would drug education be treated?

By boycott.

Much as with abortion, drugs are in fact a social problem, not a legal one. They can only be duly addressed by social action. It is truly outside the scope of laws.

I ask this question because I find drugs to be both dangerous (and that includes weed, although the physical harm is much less - people are recreationally addicted to getting high) and yet not entirely objectionable.

I actually agree, despite being something of a radical anti-drug militant. It isn't drug use proper that is a problem. It is the apathy at the causes of its use. Those causes are social in nature and recreational drug use is only a problem because they are not effectively addressed.

I very much doubt people would see much of a point in alcohol, marijuana or heavier drugs if they had proper dialog, rest, recreation and emotional support from family and friends.

I won't incriminate myself on describing my explorations, but I find that drugs and a group of friends that are not conducive towards "blasting their brains out" with any substance short of arsenic can help young adults realize self-empowerment ironically. Discovering drugs, falling for their enticements, and then emerging with a new appreciation for moderation can be a beautiful development. Few drugs in moderation are dangerous, and I would argue that if one has the will power, either through experience or innateness, all but the very strong drugs have the potential to improve one's life, just like a good bit of food, meditation, sex, or hobbies.

I don't particularly disagree, but the thought greatly disturbs me. I guess I am very impressed by the times that i saw drunken friends. It is depressing to me to think that people may have to experience that in order to realize themselves. It happens, but we shouldn't have to endanger ourselves so much.

That said drugs also easily lure people in by offering them hedonistic paradises. The logician can recline on a sofa and let hallucinogen open up his or her mind; the partier can pop a few pills of ecstasy and be engulfed in love; the tired and stressed can just smoke a blunt and hide away in lethargy. All of the drugs listed are fine when appropriately used,

And the key word IMO is "appropriately". I can't even trust myself to use freaking carbohydrates properly. I'm not touching weed, much less alcohol, with a ten foot pole, thank you very much.

but so many people abuse even "soft drugs" that I'm left wondering if drug programs should really take up a less clandestine approach that goes along with progressive sexual education: "abstinence is the safest route, but if you're going to take drugs, here's what you need to know."

In all honest, that is a good idea, but I don't think very many people are all that oblivious about the risks they are running. It is more like they don't see true alternatives.

To put it in another way, "what you need to know" is that your social environment doesn't need to be forever unreasonable, and how you can change that instead of having to settle to changing your own biochemical balance with dangerous and easily mishandled tools.

For example, there's two points I hammer home to anyone who starts experimenting. I admit upfront that person X will probably have the time of his or her life (whether "rolling your nuts off" or "tripping" or "blazed" or "shwasted") but watch out for these thought processes. They usually occur in sequential order:
- I want to experiment further. [Cocaine? Heroine? Meth? Speedballing?]
- Other people may not handle it, but I can.

And perhaps most dangerous of all, "I don't care if it is risky"?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Drugs may be potentially helpful, I agree, but I'm not going to take anything that alters my mind state significantly. It's against the precepts of the dharma.

1am1ion

most drugs [illegal] are part of a mind control project america and russia adopted from the Nazis called MKultra,

if you havent heard of MKultra please take a moment to google it now.
1 assure you will find this one of the most rewarding subjects you will ever study.

This is the subject of my last [yet unpublished] book.
Moreover if you have any queries at all you can PM me, this [subject/book] culminates all my experience since 1971.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Drugs may be potentially helpful, I agree, but I'm not going to take anything that alters my mind state significantly. It's against the precepts of the dharma.

Well you may be perfectly correct there, there is another camp of thinking if you dare.
http://www.realitysandwich.com/drugs_and_dharma_21st_century

But 1'll stick with my MKultra assertion.

Last edited: