• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drug use in spiritual life?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I could draw an analogy to a time when the brain was not developed enough to comprehend logic. Then a few had it and started talking about how wonderful logic truly is. People with logic see all sorts of connections between things that seemed like magic before. They can understand how something could be true or false just by using their minds. "Stuff like that" :D

I would not necessarily call that "idealizing" though. But you can. Ain't no law against it.

Audie

Veteran Member
Are you suggesting that people use marijuana because they don't have Jesus in their lives?

Unreal, made up, non existent, imaginary people
are so tiresome.

THOSE kinda people will do just about anything.

Prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Here is the real story of Jesus, and marijuana.
Notice the Message came in a dream, as is betimes
their wont.*

* wont

adjective
LITERARY
  1. 1.
    in the habit of doing something; accustomed.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I have a question about useage of drugs in spiritual communities,
Personally i have never used any form of drugs and personally would never use drugs (i dont judge those who do)

Why do some people seem to think some form of drugs are needed to experience the highest form of bliss in spiritual or religious practice when all that is needed is serious practice of meditation or prayer to gain the same bliss?

Is it because meditation takes longer time to realize and longer time to let go of human attachments?
I always used to wonder why in Westerns (Cowboy & Indian movies), the Indians would usually be 'using something'.
When I became a lot more mature, and got a better understanding, I realized why.
The Greek word for “practice of spiritism” is phar·ma·kiʹa, which literally means “druggery.” This term came to be connected with spiritism because in ancient times, drugs were used when invoking the power of the demons in order to practice sorcery. - Galatians 5:20; Revelation 21:8.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Whatever "enlightenment" is supposed to be or do. or how it is detected, I do not know.
Enlightenment is when all your conflicts are resolved and you have no more questions. Furthermore, you are at ease with the questions that cannot be resolved today and leave it for future, for example, the problem of existence and non-existence.
.. when one reach that point nobody who are not yet enlighten can explain how it feels or what it actually is.
But those who are enlightened can explain it precisely, but even to understand that a wide knowledge and an unbiased mind is necessary. Buddha did a good job of it, some Upanishads too, I think Laozi also did (though I am not familiar with that).

Last edited:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Buddha did a good job of it, some Upanishads too, I think Laozi also did (though I am not familiar with that).
Buddha had Bhang, Lao Tzu had Wushang Biyao (Supreme Secret Essentials), the writers of the Upanishads had Soma...

Like saying people's brains don't work properly without certain nutrition, which we can only get from cannabis.

It is like putting no oil in our metaphysical car, and wondering why we're not getting to the destination.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How much of the Tao Te Ching did you read, @Aupmanyav ?
Hardly any, whatever other posters have posted, though I liked what I read. I really did not need it after 1. Buddhism and 2. Advaita.
I have attained 'nirvana', 'moksha', 'enlightenment', 'jnana', and have already been saved and delivered. :D
Buddha had Bhang, Lao Tzu had Wushang Biyao (Supreme Secret Essentials), the writers of the Upanishads had Soma...
So in other words Steve Jobs found a sense of selflessness (Anatta) through taking LSD.
I am not sure that Buddha used marijuana, though the teachers with whom he remained and the monks that he might have met during his pre-enlightenment days must have used it. Some of the Upanishads were written after the import of Soma stopped in India.
I found 'anatta' and 'anicca' without the use of marijuana or LSD.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have Thirukkural in Tamil, known as the Tamil Veda, that also is supposed to be a sublime book of wisdom. But I do not need all wisdom.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Buddha said in his journey to become enlighten he did try simiiar to bhang but found it to not help on the path to enlightenmet and stated that his followers should not use intoxicating drugs in search of Nirvana

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Buddha said in his journey to become enlighten he did try simiiar to bhang but found it to not help on the path to enlightenmet and stated that his followers should not use intoxicating drugs in search of Nirvana
Having cannabis changes the neural circuitry, once the paths are learned in the brain we don't need to continue; yet if we don't see them routes, then them parts of the brain are never switched on properly.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Last edited:

ajay0

When I speak of "idealizing" enlightenment, I speak of all sorts of things I've heard about it. Things ranging from enlightened people feel no pain to enlightened people know everything. Stuff like that.

The enlightened state is free from suffering and delusion. There are no cravings and aversions.
One responds to the situation as it is, and not out of one's likes and dislikes. The natural bliss and joy of the enlightened state is also superior to sense-pleasures.

It is a rare phenomenon and consequently has been idealized as a superhuman achievement. Unfortunately many frauds have taken the label of enlightened masters, which made the phenomenon more complicated to comprehend better and easier.

Some of them are of malicious intent for exploitation , some for the sake of showmanship and ego-fulfilment, while some are due to delusion stemming from senility and mental health issues.

A real master never declares himself to be enlightened, except if the need occurs for him or her to teach. His main purpose is the expansion of consciousness in the student, and not merely the transmission of intellectual information as in a university.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ultimately, spiritual life isn't measured in how high you can go, but rather by how low you can go. Are the lower chakras permanently sealed off?