• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dreading Friday

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
This coming Friday morning I will be going for surgery. :eek: This is something where I really have no choice. The doctors have been watching my cervical spine closely for the last few years and now see the need for surgery. I am beginning to have muscle atrophy from nerve damage to the spinal cord. Without surgery my neurosurgeon says that I would be facing paralysis in the arms and possibly legs and even loss of my ability to breathe if nerve compression continues in that area. The down side is with the surgery there could be some paralysis, damage to the vocal cords and you know the last of the downers, death.

The plan for this surgery is to enter from the anterior (front) side of the throat, pulling the esophagus and the trachea to the side and exposing the spinal cord. Removal of all the tissue that is pressing against the nerves and then since the spine is leaning in the wrong direction then they will insert bone grafts, cement them when they are satisfied with the fit and then use stainless steel plates with stainless steel screws to secure the bone. There are 2 levels to work on c5-6 and c6-7. The surgery is going to be approximately 5-6 hours.

The good part is my neuro surgeon is a doctor that I worked on his neuro team before I had to quit work due to this worsening problem..Most of the people involed are people that I have worked with. That gives me comfort along with the fact that the doctor believes in the power of prayer and it's healing ability.

If you believe in prayer, then please do me the favor of honoring me with them. If you don't believe in prayers just knowing you may even think about me would be an honor also. Special thanks to the person that I consider my inspiration on this forum.....

I really considered putting this in the "jokes" section since I tease and joke around so much, but figured since I was going to have my throat cut I would get a little more serious about it. :D..........Love you all Charity

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
Good luck, Charity, you'll be in my thoughts and I'll throw a prayer out there just in case someone's listening.

What job did you used to have?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yow. Good luck, Charity. I'll be thinking about you.

On the upside, with those stainless steel plates, you'll be able to mess around with airport security people. :D

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Yow. Good luck, Charity. I'll be thinking about you.

On the upside, with those stainless steel plates, you'll be able to mess around with airport security people. :D
Golly gee, I've always wanted to make whistles and sirens go off when I enter a room......Perfect opportunity. :D I'll plan a trip just so I can mess with security...

It sounds pretty terrifying. But im 110% you will pass this with ease. You will be fine. I think the msot important thing is to be positive. If you are positive you will be fine. Ill pray for ya.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Golly gee, I've always wanted to make whistles and sirens go off when I enter a room......Perfect opportunity. :D I'll plan a trip just so I can mess with security...

You say that as if you don't get whistles when you enter a room now. ;)

I can understand why you'd be worried about the operation. It seems to me, though, that having it sounds overwhelmingly better than not having it. Hopefully that knowledge can be a source of comfort for you on Friday.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
You say that as if you don't get whistles when you enter a room now. ;)

I can understand why you'd be worried about the operation. It seems to me, though, that having it sounds overwhelmingly better than not having it. Hopefully that knowledge can be a source of comfort for you on Friday.
Thanks Penguin for your encouragement

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
It sounds pretty terrifying. But im 110% you will pass this with ease. You will be fine. I think the msot important thing is to be positive. If you are positive you will be fine. Ill pray for ya.
Thanks Don.....I am trying the positive thing...:)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll be thinking about you Charity, and praying in my own way.

God grant you the best possible outcome, and the least discomfort.

robtex

Veteran Member
Charity,

That is very emotionally painful to read about someone having to go through that pain and that kind of procedure. I hope it goes through without any complications. What will you do to relax or calm yourself on Thurs and friday before arriving? *hugs*

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Oh my... my heart and thoughts definitely go out to you. I'm sure you'll be fine, but I'll be thinking of you anyway :) :hug:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Charity,

That is very emotionally painful to read about someone having to go through that pain and that kind of procedure. I hope it goes through without any complications. What will you do to relax or calm yourself on Thurs and friday before arriving? *hugs*
I think I will probably play several games of pool Thursday evening, pain permitting of course.....maybe a game of cards and hopefully knock myself out early with some type of drug so I can sleep, and maybe knock myself out with another drug before I get to the hospital, where hopefully they will knock me out with another medication. ....Ye gads, I'm going to turn into a druggie before this is over....then I can look forward to the drugs after the surgery....:eek: then more drugs to take home, and more drugs to sleep. I'll need help getting off drugs :rolleyes: He said I will have a morphine pump and he will give me a prescription for percocets, anyone want to party???? Just joking, I'm selfish with my pills..................

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'll say a prayer for you Charity, I dunno will anyone listen to a Heathen like me but for this I'll give it a go. I'm sure you'll be fine. I'll be thinking of you.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I shall keep you in my thoughts, and I hope all goes well for you on friday, and that the time you will spend recovering won't be to long.