• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't the Hinduism (Dharmic) people need a concise Scripture?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
My endeavor is that an ordinary man could read the Veda in a reasonable time unit,

For all the time being wasted in these discussions, how much progress could you have made on this
k1396742.jpg
Vedas?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sorry! I am neither improving the Veda nor making a new one. I am just facilitating the ordinary man to know Veda with convenience. Please
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is Ramayana, Bhagawat Purana, Upanishads and Bhagawat Gita that are more important for a Hindu rather than Vedas. Vedas are for people who understand Hindu thought and history.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry! I am neither improving the Veda nor making a new one. I am just facilitating the ordinary man to know Veda with convenience. Please
Regards

Actually you are making a new one, but technically they are no longer the Vedas. By being re-written by someone who has virtually no knowledge of Hinduism or Vedic culture, you are destroying the original Vedas and making a mockery of them. I would have less of a problem if you entitled this magnum opus as Based on the Vedas.

But let me rephrase anyway:

For all the time being wasted in these discussions, how much progress could you have made on this project to make the Vedas concise?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Veda/Yajurveda itself mentions that it is for the world not for a portion of it. It does not mention of Hindu or Hinduism. Does it ? Please
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Actually you are making a new one, but technically they are no longer the Vedas. By being re-written by someone who has virtually no knowledge of Hinduism or Vedic culture, you are destroying the original Vedas and making a mockery of them. I would have less of a problem if you entitled this magnum opus as Based on the Vedas.
But let me rephrase anyway:
For all the time being wasted in these discussions, how much progress could you have made on this project to make the Vedas concise?
One is welcome to write a book in refutation when the concise/compressed Veda is published. Right? Please
Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
One is welcome to write a book in refutation when the concise/compressed Veda is published. Right? Please
Regards
Indeed, and that is another interesting thing to comment. Another important part of Dharma practice is indeed learning of and choosing among various interpretations of the doctrine.

Nor is it just a matter of deciding who to trust, although that is no small part of it. There is a matter of compatibility of emphasis, of style, personal vocation, and even of vocabulary as well.

An often overlooked reason why that is a good thing involves the downside of concise scriptures: ambiguity of meaning. Without commentary, and lots of it, religious doctrine may easily fall prey to staleness - and worse still, people may fail to even realize that it happened.

It may sound strange or even outright wrong to someone who accepts the Qur'an as literally correct, perfect, complete and true, but in all honesty I must say that religious practice can only be complete when it transcends the texts and becomes living practice, empowered by the discernment and effort of actual living beings.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Indeed, and that is another interesting thing to comment. Another important part of Dharma practice is indeed learning of and choosing among various interpretations of the doctrine.
Nor is it just a matter of deciding who to trust, although that is no small part of it. There is a matter of compatibility of emphasis, of style, personal vocation, and even of vocabulary as well.
An often overlooked reason why that is a good thing involves the downside of concise scriptures: ambiguity of meaning. Without commentary, and lots of it, religious doctrine may easily fall prey to staleness - and worse still, people may fail to even realize that it happened.
It may sound strange or even outright wrong to someone who accepts the Qur'an as literally correct, perfect, complete and true, but in all honesty I must say that religious practice can only be complete when it transcends the texts and becomes living practice, empowered by the discernment and effort of actual living beings.

I am not doing any translation myself and I intend to give the original text in Sanskrit side by side a translation, so that will alleviate all such things considerably.
The reader is always free to access other translations and commentaries if one is interested of one's liking.. Right? Please refresh the points mentioned for "Veda Scripture- The Compressed One" in the next post, for your convenience.
Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Veda Scripture- The Compressed One

I wish that ordinary man should be facilitated to read and finish Vedas- the Scripture in a reasonable time frame , and people get spiritual guidance direct from the scripture itself, rather than from a third person.
Life being so busy, ordinary people cannot afford to read such a voluminous Vedic scripture, they will rather be thankful if such a concise/condensed/compressed scripture is compiled which could be finished if not in 30 days or a month, then at least once in a year. Quran could be finished in thirty days , if read a part of it in 30/45 minutes a day, just for information in this connection, please.

The revised planning/blueprint of it is like:

1. Rigveda, is proposed to be kept mostly as it is. I understand that it is about 1000 ± pages, not possible to read by a busy person, therefore, it also needs compression as is evident. The elite class of Brahmins wanted to create as many as possible obstacles to keep Veda out of reach of an ordinary man, it is one such obstacle. Rigveda is also to be compressed, therefore, however, references provided so that one who wants to go in detail could access them. Right? Please
2. Sam Veda which is a liturgical text whose 1,875 verses are primary derived from the Rigveda and only 65 new mantras/verses are there in Samaveda, so it should be compressed to 65 verses only and a footnote written on the verses in the Rigveda indicating that.
3.I am reading Yajurveda as one knows and now I nearing its end. It has total 500+ pages. I have found out that about some 50 or more verses are just repetition of the previous verses . These could be compressed for an ordinary man and only references provided in the original one.
4.We get a clue from post #18 , in another thread, that only a few verses on war/battles in Yajurveda should be mentioned in the compressed Yajurveda, though they form about 10% of Yajurveda, and the rest should be compressed. and only references retained, as this is against the contemporary Vedic readers, who hold Ahimsa as a basic creed of Veda, and that is a wrong concept. Right? Please
5.I get a clue from post #12 that the original, if there was/is one, should have the holy Sanskrit text side by side the translation to solve any ambiguity if the need be. That would require a two-fold compression, yet not impossible, if the friends who ascribe themselves to Vedas help us, as I don't know any Sanskrit as of now myself. Right? Please
6. We get a clue from post #23 in another thread that there is too much monotony in Rigveda. So for minimizing it only some or more representative passages/verses should go to the compressed Rigveda but their references will be provided as mentioned in point one above. Please
7. We get from Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS of G-d.God and the attributes of God are most mentioned in Yajurveda, hence, these parts of Veda must be given preference over anything else #52. Right? Please.

Anybody, please

Regards

#228,229,230, 345, #315,#391,410, #458

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am not doing any translation myself and I intend to give the original text in Sanskrit side by side a translation, so that will alleviate all such things considerably.
To an extent.

The reader is always free to access other translations and commentaries if one is interested of one's liking.. Right?

Quite so.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

I wish that ordinary man should be facilitated to read and finish Vedas- the Scripture in a reasonable time frame , and people get spiritual guidance direct from the scripture itself, rather than from a third person.
Life being so busy, ordinary people cannot afford to read such a voluminous Vedic scripture, they will rather be thankful if such a concise/condensed/compressed scripture is compiled which could be finished if not in 30 days or a month, then at least once in a year. Quran could be finished in thirty days , if read a part of it in 30/45 minutes a day, just for information in this connection, please.

1. Rigveda, is proposed to be kept mostly as it is. I understand that it is about 1000 ± pages, not possible to read by a busy person, therefore, it also needs compression as is evident. The elite class of Brahmins wanted to create as many as possible obstacles to keep Veda out of reach of an ordinary man, it is one such obstacle. Rigveda is also to be compressed, therefore, however, references provided so that one who wants to go in detail could access them. Right? Please
2. Sam Veda which is a liturgical text whose 1,875 verses are primary derived from the Rigveda and only 65 new mantras/verses are there in Samaveda, so it should be compressed to 65 verses only and a footnote written on the verses in the Rigveda indicating that.
3.I am reading Yajurveda as one knows and now I nearing its end. It has total 500+ pages. I have found out that about some 50 or more verses are just repetition of the previous verses . These could be compressed for an ordinary man and only references provided in the original one.
4.We get a clue from post #18 , in another thread, that only a few verses on war/battles in Yajurveda should be mentioned in the compressed Yajurveda, though they form about 10% of Yajurveda, and the rest should be compressed. and only references retained, as this is against the contemporary Vedic readers, who hold Ahimsa as a basic creed of Veda, and that is a wrong concept. Right? Please
5.I get a clue from post #12 that the original, if there was/is one, should have the holy Sanskrit text side by side the translation to solve any ambiguity if the need be. That would require a two-fold compression, yet not impossible, if the friends who ascribe themselves to Vedas help us, as I don't know any Sanskrit as of now myself. Right? Please
6. We get a clue from post #23 in another thread that there is too much monotony in Rigveda. So for minimizing it only some or more representative passages/verses should go to the compressed Rigveda but their references will be provided as mentioned in point one above. Please
7. We get from Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS of G-d.God and the attributes of God are most mentioned in Yajurveda, hence, these parts of Veda must be given preference over anything else #52. Right? Please.

Anybody, please

Regards

There is no need to do this. Hindus don't need to read scripture to practice their own faith.
You are free to do so. But it's like compiling all the texts of Shakespeare in one book and condensing it all for easy access. You lose the flavour, the personality, the meaning, and many of the indosyncrisities.

Many classics that are thought to be in the top 100 books to read before you die are over 1000 pages. People seem to read them all the same and have done for hundreds of years.

This is ultimately a fruitless endevour but it's a free country. You can spend your time however you please.

ukok102nak

:alien: as they say
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, wilful restrain: against such there is no law.

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

Anybody, please

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
(Please not a new point added at serial 5 below)

6.We get a clue from post #79 that Veda is not to be taken literal, it is in symbols and metaphors.#80,#5
7. We get a clue from post #23 in another thread that there is too much monotony in Rigveda. So for minimizing it only some or more representative passages/verses should go to the compressed Rigveda but their references will be provided as mentioned in point one above. Please
8. We get from Yajurveda 15:13 “learn that part of the Veda which deals with the Unity of God” ONENESS of G-d.God and the attributes of God are most mentioned in Yajurveda, hence, these parts of Veda must be given preference over anything else #52. Right? Please.

Anybody, please

Regards