• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't settle for happiness?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Embrace your individuality.

I am a unique individual. So are you. We all are. The next time you find that you’re comparing yourself with someone else, remind yourself that “I am me and I’m proud of that.” You’ve got to let that sink in. You are your own person.

There’s no one quite like you. Comparisons are irrelevant! How freeing is that? Add that to your mental repertoire: “I’m unique, so comparisons are irrelevant.”

3 Steps to Stop Making Comparisons and Start Valuing Yourself

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
You’d love to know why you can’t hang on to those moments of happiness, wouldn’t you?

Problem is stuff happens. People mislead, mistreat or just plain cheat you.

Events happen over which you have little or no control. And because you didn’t appreciate that happiness is a bye-product and not a goal, pouffe your happiness goes up in smoke.

We spend so much time searching for happiness. Looking for it in that new job, or new home, or new city, or in that new relationship, which surely will bring us all the happiness we seek.

Except it doesn’t. It can’t.

Happiness will never be found outside of you in any external situation or experience…at least not the lasting happiness everyone desires… because it’s an internal disposition.

In is the only way out. The one way you can stop sabotaging your happiness.

So let’s start there.

https://www.finerminds.com/happiness/5-ways-you-are-sabotaging-your-happiness

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
3f5e5c80f196e5b973c3e5e8ba33af9e.jpg

List of 1000+ Positive Words to Write the Life You Want

:)

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Every night, spend two minutes writing down three things you’re grateful for that occurred during the last 24 hours. It doesn’t have to be anything profound, but it does have to be specific. For instance, instead of being grateful for your child, be grateful for the big smile and sticky hug that your child gave you that morning.

Due to your brain’s innate negativity bias, you’re usually scanning the environment for threats. However, when your brain knows that it has to come up with three things to be grateful for each night, it will start to do the opposite. It will start scanning the environment for positives.

This brings your brain into better balance. It also retrains your brain so that it will start seeing more possibilities.

6 Happiness Habits And a (Free) Happiness Journal

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Part of being happy is feeling happy, moment to moment, throughout our lives. But what does "feeling happy" really mean? Is it the feeling we get eating an ice cream cone in the heat of summer? The feeling we get sitting next to someone we deeply love? The feeling we get when something goes our way?

Without understanding more of the nuance being the phrase "feeling happy," we can miss opportunities for positive emotion in our life. In her book Positivity, psychologist Barbara Fredrickson suggests that we experience a range of positive emotions and that each of these helps us to build resources or broaden our perspective in useful ways. Take a quick look at those 10 common positive emotions and what they do for us.

Emotions We Experience Beyond Just "Happiness"

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Secrets to Being Happy

There are several routes to happiness. Some are quick and bring immediate positive feelings, and others take more time and bring lasting and repeated feelings of happiness. The following resources bring several strategies from both categories, which can help you become and stay one of the world’s happy people.

Secrets of Happy People and How to Be One

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
A Happiness Formula for Difficult Times

If we expect events to unfold a certain way, we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment. But if we lower our expectations, we also lower our attachment to a particular outcome. As a result, we suffer less. So when life throws us the unexpected, rather than say, “This shouldn’t be happening,” we’re able to say, “Oh, this is just happening” without the additional commentary about how things should have been.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/...life/201712/happiness-formula-difficult-times

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
We all experience anger in our lives. Uncontrolled anger, however, can create problems in our relationships and even with our health. All of this can lead to more stress and additional problems, which can complicate life and keep us from being our best selves. That's why learning to manage and eventually let go of anger is so important to becoming a better person.

How to Become a Better Person

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
So how can you cultivate a growing sense of gratitude—and its positive side-benefits—on your own? It turns out that the tools used by psychologists in research studies—namely a gratitude journal and some thank-you notes—are some of the best ones for boosting gratitude both in and out of the lab. By writing down positive things that happen to you and actively acknowledging those who have helped you, you become better at recognizing the good in your life, which naturally helps you feel more grateful and thankful more often. You can also find dozens of fun gratitude activities on Happify!

Full article -

https://www.happify.com/hd/cultivate-an-attitude-of-gratitude/

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The simple act of identifying and then appreciating the things people do for us is a modern-day wonder drug. It fills us with optimism and self-confidence, knowing that others are there for us. It dampens our desires for “more” of everything—and it deepens our relationships with loved ones. And when we express our gratitude to someone, we get kindness and gratitude in return. In studies led by Dr. Martin Seligman, people have written gratitude letters to someone they've never properly thanked, and seen immediate increases in happiness and decreases in depressive symptoms. Robert Emmons, Professor of Psychology at the University of California, Davis, is a leading researcher in the field of gratitude and author of Thanks: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier. He believes everyone should try practicing gratitude because the benefits are so powerful: “First, the practice of gratitude can increase happiness levels by around 25%. Second, this is not hard to achieve. A few hours writing a gratitude journal over 3 weeks can create an effect that lasts 6 months if not more. Third, cultivating gratitude brings other health effects, such as longer and better quality sleep time.”

For the happify site - click here -

https://www.happify.com/hd/the-5-skills-that-will-increase-your-happiness/

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Wasn't sure where 2 post this -

Self-Reflective Awareness (SRA) is probably the single most important competency that we teach in the doctoral program in professional psychology that I direct. It is listed first in the program’s core competencies and is central to the identity and culture of the program. Because we believe it is a very important skill in general, and it is something our program gets extremely high marks on (students rate their training a 4.8 out of 5.0 in this area), I share here how we define it and some of the ways we cultivate it in the program in order to offer ideas about how one might to achieve greater SRA.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/.../self-reflective-awareness-crucial-life-skill

Enjoy!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
From happiness terrible advice? -

Realistically, I’d be surprised if there are a dozen people in the world who spend more time reading and thinking about happiness than I do. Unsurprisingly, I come across a lot of happiness advice and I consider most of it frustratingly bad. After a while I realised everything I read has at least one of four problems. I thought I’d share those so that you can spot what’s good happiness advice and what to ignore. If you find any pieces that has none of the four problems, please send it to me.

4 Reasons Almost All Happiness Advice Sucks (But Not This Article, Obviously)