• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dominionist Theology

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
So, not a denomination of its own then?

Nope. Dominionist Theology is a theology, not a denomination. The term "dominionist" seems to come from the fact the theology advocates that Christ have dominion over the US and the US have dominion over other nations -- or something like that. It's been awhile since I read up on it. Don't quote me.

Ellen Brown

Nope. Dominionist Theology is a theology, not a denomination. The term "dominionist" seems to come from the fact the theology advocates that Christ have dominion over the US and the US have dominion over other nations -- or something like that. It's been awhile since I read up on it. Don't quote me.

That idea is such a crock! America is not now and never has been a Christian nation, especially not with tDrump. I left that stuff between 2001 and 2003. Looks like I got out just in time.

whirlingmerc

Has anyone heard of this? I think it is centered in the south from Virginia to Texas.

Have not heard of it... but 'dominion' shows up lots of places like 'The Dominion of Canada''

Wiki says Dominion theology (also known as dominionism) is a group of Christian political ideologies that seek to institute a nation governed by Christians based on their personal understandings of biblical law. Extents of rule and ways of achieving governing authority are varied.

Which sounds like a not precisely defined term

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Have not heard of it... but 'dominion' shows up lots of places like 'The Dominion of Canada''

Wiki says Dominion theology (also known as dominionism) is a group of Christian political ideologies that seek to institute a nation governed by Christians based on their personal understandings of biblical law. Extents of rule and ways of achieving governing authority are varied.

Which sounds like a not precisely defined term
In other words, "Christian Taliban".

Ellen Brown

In other words, "Christian Taliban".

That is what I fled in 2003. I was so disillusioned that I eventually became Muslim because I felt that the Jesus they worshipped was not real. Any time something really nutty and conservative happens, it is likely them

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Dominion theology is a Protestant strain of thought (although there is a similar Catholic one, known by the name Integralism, which is about subordinating the state to state to the moral principles of the Catholic Church).

It is highly indebted to theonomy, the idea that the divine law revealed to Moses, is a model for society - or at the very least an ideal, since it was (they think) the one occasion where God laid out such a system for a given state (i.e. He doesn't do so in the NT).

They believe that the Second Coming will not happen until Christians have actively fought "evil" and established God's reign on earth through assuming mastery over the civil, political, social, economic and other aspects of society.

The principal goal, then, of dominion theology and Christian reconstructionism is religious domination of the world through the enforcement of the moral laws, and subsequent punishments, of the Old Testament.

It's quite terrifying.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Dominion theology is a Protestant strain of thought (although there is a similar Catholic one, known by the name Integralism, which is about subordinating the state to state to the moral principles of the Catholic Church).

It is highly indebted to theonomy, the idea that the divine law revealed to Moses, is a model for society - or at the very least an ideal, since it was (they think) the one occasion where God laid out such a system for a given state (i.e. He doesn't do so in the NT).

They believe that the Second Coming will not happen until Christians have actively fought "evil" and established God's reign on earth through assuming mastery over the civil, political, social, economic and other aspects of society.

The principal goal, then, of dominion theology and Christian reconstructionism is religious domination of the world through the enforcement of the moral laws, and subsequent punishments, of the Old Testament.

It's quite terrifying.

Sort of sounds like the '12th Imam' (Ahmati) theory of the radical Muslim crowd.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Sort of sounds like the '12th Imam' (Ahmati) theory of the radical Muslim crowd.

Yes, it's not dissimilar to the velayat-i-faqih ideology of the ruling mullahs in Iran, which advocates revolutionary, theocratic Islam being established over governments to help inaugurate the return from occultation of the Imam Mahdi and his worldwide religious state.

A Christian version, really.

Pray God we don't ever see "the Christian Revolution" akin to the Islamic one in Iran.

Dominionism is deemed a heresy by mainstream Evangelical Protestants, just like the Integralism of groups like Church Militant has been declared heretical by the Vatican.

But Ayatollah Khomeini's cult of the Guardianship of the Jurist was originally deemed heretical by mainstream Shi'ite clerics in Najaf and Qom in the 1970s. That didn't stop him enforcing it on Iran in the 1979 revolution against the Shah and then in a more limited sense Lebanon (through Hezbollah).

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
This strain of thinking happens in many forms not just in religion but it shows itself very dangerously in religion. Its a kind of collective delusion that feeds itself not unlike a cult.

There is an interesting feedback between leadership and the collective. Where the leadership over time becomes increasingly crazy being supported in that and the collective responds in becoming more and more crazy in response to what it is listening to.

This is not unlike an individual who slowly spins into madness. Which btw i find curious because the exact same phenomena can and does effect all areas of collective agreements. Science is not exempt from this happening. It to can take on crazy ideas about reality and they start to believe what they think is reality collectively. History has shown it is very often mistaken.

GoodbyeDave

I'd say the only difference between those publicly supporting it and the majority of Evangelical and Catholic Christians is their honesty. When Christians try to block abortion or gay marriage, isn't that an attempt to create a Christian state?

If I were a USian, the one thing that might move me to exercise my 2nd Amendment right is they thought that when they came for me, I'd be ready for them!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
That idea is such a crock! America is not now and never has been a Christian nation, especially not with tDrump. I left that stuff between 2001 and 2003. Looks like I got out just in time.
Oh, Dominion Theology is a dangerous crock of ****.

However, America has always been, and even now with its decline is still a Christian nation. Just because we have a secular government doesn't mean that the culture isn't thoroughly enmeshed with Christianity. Try turning on the TV or radio or walking into a shopping center in December and avoiding Christmas, and then tell me America isn't Christian.

Personally, I have no problems with it. Jews have often been minorities in countries where other religions have prevailed. As long as they allow us to worship God and keep our own covenant with him, I'm good with it. I think the US has been very, very good to Jews. Has it been completely free of anti-Semitism? Of course not. But it doesn't have the 2000 years of entrenched anti-Semitism that Europe has. When the spree shooter killed our people at the synagogue in Pittsburgh, America uniformly condemned it. It is because, in a large part, the US sees itself as "Judeo Christian" and pulls from that ideology the idea of human rights, including freedom of religion.