• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does your vote in 2020 really matter- most likely not

are you going to vote

• yes

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • haven't decided

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Trust you to what?
You seem extremely partisan, so in many ways no.

And that is the issue, neither republicans or democrats can be trusted to stop the shenanigans (just wanted to use that word) and the system we have is not going away anytime soon. There will be one winner and it will either be a republican or a democrat, either side would be a fool to play nice while the other side uses questionable tactics, it's just the way it is so we have to choose for one or the other.
That is one of the reasons I voted libertarian in 2016

esmith

Veteran Member
deadhors.jpg

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I am actually allergic to beer. I can drink a couple and I am fine but more than that and I start to have trouble breathing.
Maybe it's the gluten you're allergic to? Or it could be the alcohol itself, some people are sensitive to it.

Anyway, back to topic. Didn't intend to derail the whole thing. :D

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
And that is the issue, neither republicans or democrats can be trusted to stop the shenanigans (just wanted to use that word) and the system we have is not going away anytime soon. There will be one winner and it will either be a republican or a democrat, either side would be a fool to play nice while the other side uses questionable tactics, it's just the way it is so we have to choose for one or the other.
That is one of the reasons I voted libertarian in 2016
I did too. Haven't figured out who to vote for this time.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Under the Constitution as it stands, the rules governing elections, which have been written in a pretty cooperative manner by the two major political parties to ease their access to the ballot and at the same time put up barriers to independent and third-parties, will remain unchanged.

However, there is a growing movement to call a new Constitutional Convention. There, all bets would be off, and it would be dominated by the richest and most powerful of the nation (which really is no different than it was when the current constitution was drafted in 1787, when you get right down to it), even if millions showed up to present their desires. The groups that I've seen promoting this tend to be towards the Republican end of the political spectrum, along with independents such as Libertarians...

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The Electoral College was created to allow the electors to choose the POTUS. Suppose that SCOTUS reads the Constitution to allow electors to vote their judgement and not follow the vote in the state? Also, electors don't have to be chosen by popular vote. The state can decide that they appoint electors if they choose.

So would you feel the same way if your vote was taken away to be replaced by what your state government decided? Do you think that would never happen?

In most cases the electors are not bound by their state vote. Again, you have not understood the genius of the EC; but I guess we can give you a 'sour grapes' pass this time.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The key issue around the simple majority concept is that power would then be heavily concentrated in certain geographic locations.

This is more extreme in Australia, where almost 10 million out of the total population of 25 million live in 2 cities (Sydney and Melbourne). Politicians could ignore the majority of the country entirely and win power by pandering to these constituencies.

Whilst the majority of people might like policies focused only on this cities, it's hard to argue that is best for the country long term, and it would probably just exacerbate an already overly centralised population.

In US terms, LA and New York would wield more power, I guess, if not to the same extreme degree.

It's why we...like you guys I guess...have a bicameral system where only one of the houses has proportional representation, with the other providing equal representation for each state, regardless population.

I can't quite get my head around what the US Electoral College adds to the process though. I have some thoughts, but seems like a derail for this thread.
I didn't realize that Aussies were so New Yorkish. A bunch of East Coast liberals.
Their representatives here, Ken Ham and Crocodile Dundee, have rather a more Texan vibe.

So, Aussies are generally "urban cowboys"?
Eww.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You might want to google it. If they were bound by the state vote, what we be the point in having an EC?
What?
I said that EC delegates are bound by the state legislatures because the partisans who run states want their party to stay in power.
Seriously?
You should get more familiar with how the political elite remain in power.
Tom

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Does your vote in 2020 really matter- most likely not

USA 1016 election

Here are the final numbers:
Clinton received 65,844,610 votes, or 48.2% of the total vote.
Trump received 62,979,636 votes, or 46.1% of the total vote. (That's a difference of 2.86 million votes.)
Here is the final popular vote count of the 2016 election just in case you want to feel bad

It was the Electoral College that got Trump into the White House, not the U.S. citizens vote.

So folks, it matters not how you vote but if you don’t vote you have no say in the matter.

Are You Going To Vote & why

Thanks in advance

:)-

Every vote counts

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Do you really believe it isn't partisan?
Reforming the USA political system isn't a partisan issue.
But a partisan like you might be unable to see any issue without your partisan goggles on.
That's why I don't trust you. You seem more interested in what's best for the Republican party than what's best for the country.
Tom

ETA ~It's not just you. It's painfully common. @tytlyf isn't much different, except in his allegiance to a slightly different brand of corruption and political b.s. ~

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Maybe it's the gluten you're allergic to? Or it could be the alcohol itself, some people are sensitive to it.

Anyway, back to topic. Didn't intend to derail the whole thing. :D
I have a feeling that it is the hops. They do not appear in many products and I do not have other food allergies that I am aware of. And definitely not the alcohol. As to gluten, my brother is a Seventh Day Adventist and for Thanksgiving they cook gluten, the protein from wheat. They usually have some guests that do not eat turkey (which I cook) I have eaten a bit with no ill effects and it does not even taste that bad. At least the recipe that they use.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What?
I said that EC delegates are bound by the state legislatures because the partisans who run states want their party to stay in power.
Seriously?
You should get more familiar with how the political elite remain in power.
Tom

They are not "bound" by anyone...sorry...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
They are not "bound" by anyone...sorry...
Seriously?
You believe that everyone from Michigan voted for Trump simply believed that Trump was best for president?

I mean really. You posting things like this demonstrate that you don't know much about how your country is governed. It's kinda scary that you don't, but you vote.
Tom