• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does theism lead to immoral behaviour?

How exactly does someone "alter his weight" instantaneously in such a way that would allow him to walk on water, without using magic? Is there some law of physics that can account for that? If not, sorry to tell you, but you've just described magic.
If magic means something that you don't know, then I can accept that magic is real.

Heyo

Veteran Member
And if so, it could mean that we just don't understand the laws correctly.
You surely don't. And what are the odds? Every time you (or anybody else) goes swimming, you conduct an experiment on conservation of mass and on buoyancy. Trillions of experiments with always the same outcome. Believing that nature would make an exception is believe in magic and it is based purely on the wish that it could happen without any explanation and without any evidence.

You surely don't. And what are the odds? Every time you (or anybody else) goes swimming, you conduct an experiment on conservation of mass and on buoyancy. Trillions of experiments with always the same outcome. Believing that nature would make an exception is believe in magic ...
Sorry, I disagree with that. But, maybe it is because we have a different definition for magic. I don't really know what you even mean with the word magic.

However, I believe this world is much like the virtual reality in the Matrix movie. Twisting this doesn't necessary require magic, one just have to have better grasp of things to do "miracles". :)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
"actual facts"?
..a brief spell of "whoopy" followed by disaster and grief.

Yes, actual facts

(...) the correlation is clear: the most secular societies on earth with the highest rates of non-belief fare much better, on average, than the most religious, strongly-believing societies. While understanding that correlation does not equal causation, this article still maintains that theism is clearly not the societal panacea many claim it to be, nor is atheism a source of societal degradation.

muhammad_isa

While understanding that correlation does not equal causation, this article still maintains that theism is clearly not the societal panacea many claim it to be, nor is atheism a source of societal degradation..
What a lot of nonsense!
You are entitled to believe what you like .. and choose to read whatever you like.
..as am I.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
On the contrary .. they often do.
It's all about how one dresses it up using statistics.

There's not much to "dress" up when talking raw numbers like infant mortality, life expectancy, literacy, accessibility / affordability of education / health care, crime rates, domestic violence rates, teenage pregnancy rates, divorce rates, etc etc etc.

These are the results of large scale studies.

Again, you can stick your head in the sand if you want. But again, I don't see how that is a helpful stance to take.

muhammad_isa

Again, you can stick your head in the sand if you want..
I don't stick my head in the sand..
..I'm just careful not to make the wrong conclusions from a set of data.

What you want us all to believe, is that it is in our best interests to follow your way of life.
I can never agree, however wonderful and attractive it may appear to be.
I am certain that it will end in disaster.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

What you want us all to believe, is that it is in our best interests to follow your way of life.

I feel the same way about both you and TagliatelliMonster. Go figure.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Didn't sound so to me.
What a lot of nonsense!
That, to me, is the reaction of someone denying reality.

And that is your interpretation. It is never a good idea to assume a motive when you can just as easily ask.
I don't know @TagliatelliMonster's intention but when I state a fact I expect my interlocutor to agree upon it or convince me that they aren't. After we agree upon the facts, we can discuss the implications. You don't have to agree that physical well-being is an objective good, it's a value judgement. You are entitled to your own opinion - but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Sorry, I disagree with that. But, maybe it is because we have a different definition for magic. I don't really know what you even mean with the word magic.

However, I believe this world is much like the virtual reality in the Matrix movie. Twisting this doesn't necessary require magic, one just have to have better grasp of things to do "miracles". :)
You're absolutely right. It is logically if not metaphysically possible that our current understanding of the laws of physics is flawed, to the point that someone could walk on water.

However, would you believe me if I told you that I have walked on water?

muhammad_isa

It is never a good idea to assume a motive when you can just as easily ask.
It is quite clear to me, that citing such statistics is for one purpose.
..to claim superiority.

After we agree upon the facts, we can discuss the implications.
We are not agreed on the "facts" .. I do not agree that "numbers don't lie".
They can be manipulated, and unreliable conclusions can be made.

You don't have to agree that physical well-being is an objective good, it's a value judgement..
Of course physical well-being is an objective good.
..but if it is not sustainable, or is at the expense of others..