• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Qur'an say anything about education?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
If Baha'i children attending Baha'i schools are given a rounded, secular education that does not promote the Baha'i faith as special in any way - why are they called "Baha'i schools"? Why aren't they just "schools"?

The school my niece teaches at is not called a Baha’i school, just a school. Service to the community is part of Baha’i belief.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
The school my niece teaches at is not called a Baha’i school, just a school. Service to the community is part of Baha’i belief.
OK, we seem to be talking cross-purposes. I was asking about what is taught to Baha'i children within the Baha'i community, specifically Baha'i schools.
Obviously a regular state school won't teach children that the Baha'i faith is more valid than other faiths.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
OK, we seem to be talking cross-purposes. I was asking about what is taught to Baha'i children within the Baha'i community, specifically Baha'i schools.
Obviously a regular state school won't teach children that the Baha'i faith is more valid than other faiths.

Ok. In the Baha’i community children are mainly taught virtues and about other religions. This may give you a better idea. Note that in grade 3 they are taught about the different Founders of other Faiths.

9AF8E0CA-1EA7-4DA2-9B6C-E8C5B160C0C6.png

KWED

Ok. In the Baha’i community children are mainly taught virtues and about other religions. This may give you a better idea. Note that in grade 3 they are taught about the different Founders of other Faiths.

View attachment 58488
Oh, I see. So the teaching about other religions is in the context of how they were precursors to Baha'i. They are not seen as "different" religions but as part of Baha'i.
Presumably the prayers, singing, stories and quotations mentioned are from the Baha'i canon?

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
Oh, I see. So the teaching about other religions is in the context of how they were precursors to Baha'i. They are not seen as "different" religions but as part of Baha'i.
Presumably the prayers, singing, stories and quotations mentioned are from the Baha'i canon?

The different religions are taught as independent Faiths in their own right. Many of the stories, poems etc are from various sources not only Baha’i. The different religions are taught as different revelations from God each having their own message for mankind. Each is acknowledged as an independent Faith.

KWED

The different religions are taught as independent Faiths in their own right. Many of the stories, poems etc are from various sources not only Baha’i. The different religions are taught as different revelations from God each having their own message for mankind. Each is acknowledged as an independent Faith.
The problem here is that once you go beyond the purview of Baha'i schools, you are merely talking about how individual parents raise their children - something which you have no knowledge of.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
The problem here is that once you go beyond the purview of Baha'i schools, you are merely talking about how individual parents raise their children - something which you have no knowledge of.

Whether it’s Baha’i classes or parents, Baha’i children are taught the oneness of humanity and religion and to be free from prejudice of all kinds. This kind of education benefits both the child and society.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Quran doesn't want us seeking enlightenment in religion from regular people, so I would say, it's education system is different. Quran and hadiths should be studied in a life time thing and we should seek people who understand both, but not give them authority over us, as in acknowledge everything they say. Gaining skills in real life to work is one thing, trusting people for enlightenment especially when at top it's controlled by unknown few, is something else.

To see education as actually education and not be vigilant against Iblis and his forces trying to misguide us through it, would be a huge blunder per Quran "we followed our great ones and leaders so they lead us astray", "wait they will be questioned: Do you have clear authority? "

In my view, if Muslims are ever going to establish a nation again under one government on top, they should not try to "educate" as in "enlighten", but rather, that should be individual choice to learn from who they want, and rather school should try to get skill ASAP for work in the technology we have today. We should try to shorten the education process.

Islam council of God and Prophet we suppose to council each other about it at grassroots "their affair is council among themselves"

stevecanuck

Quran and hadiths should be studied

Yet when Islam was established, both Allah and Mohamed seemed to think the Qur'an alone was enough to understand Islam. We know that because the Qur'an says so.

How do you square that circle?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yet when Islam was established, both Allah and Mohamed seemed to think the Qur'an alone was enough to understand Islam. We know that because the Qur'an says so.

How do you square that circle?

It not only emphasized on the Sunnah of the Nabi (Quran) and hadiths, but it also emphasized on people deeply understanding the religion and teaching it to others.

The Quran alone approach was never a thing during Mohammad (s) time. The Quran never emphasized the books of Prophets (s) were sufficient guidance, it always talked about the human leaders appointed by God (ie. Prophets, Messengers, sent ones) as necessary and that holy books mainly are guidance because it calls to them.

KWED

Whether it’s Baha’i classes or parents, Baha’i children are taught the oneness of humanity and religion and to be free from prejudice of all kinds. This kind of education benefits both the child and society.
So just to be clear - Baha'i parents and teachers tell children that Baháʼu'lláh may have been making it all up or just delusional. They tell children that there may be no god at all.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
So just to be clear - Baha'i parents and teachers tell children that Baháʼu'lláh may have been making it all up or just delusional. They tell children that there may be no god at all.

They give them a balanced education about all the Prophets of God and make a point that no religion or Prophet is superior to any other. This is a teaching of Baha’u’llah Himself where He says it is forbidden to exalt one Prophet over another.

As well they receive virtues training which has stories from other religions, prayer and so on. They are also taught science is truth. Whether a child decides to become a Baha’i or not is their own decision. Many children raised in Baha’i families don’t always choose to be Baha’is. Some do some don’t. It is not an obligation and coercion is forbidden.

KWED

They give them a balanced education about all the Prophets of God and make a point that no religion or Prophet is superior to any other. This is a teaching of Baha’u’llah Himself where He says it is forbidden to exalt one Prophet over another.

As well they receive virtues training which has stories from other religions, prayer and so on. They are also taught science is truth. Whether a child decides to become a Baha’i or not is their own decision. Many children raised in Baha’i families don’t always choose to be Baha’is. Some do some don’t. It is not an obligation and coercion is forbidden.
Ok. So they are not told that Baháʼu'lláh might have been making it up or delusional, and they are not told that there may be no god at all.
So it is all based on an assumption of the truth of Baha'i beliefs.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ok. So they are not told that Baháʼu'lláh might have been making it up or delusional, and they are not told that there may be no god at all.

Honestly, kids navigate through all that, and it's actually a decision they make when wiser and mature to stick to religion of their parents. They love their parents and have a bias. It takes a while to awaken to that bias or ever want to counter it. Push to much religion on a kid, he will rebel growing up and hate it.

I remember as a kid, I understood many religions out there, and was not sure which one is true.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

And the truths of all the Prophets of the past. We cannot just accept Baha’u’llah alone as other Prophets have been sent by God throughout history. We consider Them all as equal.

Only God Himself is above the Prophets and has no peer or equal.

KWED

And the truths of all the Prophets of the past. We cannot just accept Baha’u’llah alone as other Prophets have been sent by God throughout history. We consider Them all as equal.

Only God Himself is above the Prophets and has no peer or equal.
But "the other prophets" are part of the Baha'i narrative.
Do you teach your children that the Baha'i narrative may be false, that Baha’u’llah may have been making it up or delusional, that god may not exist?
No.
So it is no different from any other religion in that respect. Basically, it relies on the indoctrination of children for its continued popularity.

KWED

Honestly, kids navigate through all that, and it's actually a decision they make when wiser and mature to stick to religion of their parents. They love their parents and have a bias. It takes a while to awaken to that bias or ever want to counter it. Push to much religion on a kid, he will rebel growing up and hate it.
Childhood indoctrination is very difficult to break, especially when it is continually reinforced by family and community.

I remember as a kid, I understood many religions out there, and was not sure which one is true.
And yet, the one you "realised" is "true" just happens to be the one you were raised in.
Funny that, eh? (Although tbf, you have since invented your own religion, so kudos)

loverofhumanity

Premium Member
But "the other prophets" are part of the Baha'i narrative.
Do you teach your children that the Baha'i narrative may be false, that Baha’u’llah may have been making it up or delusional, that god may not exist?
No.
So it is no different from any other religion in that respect. Basically, it relies on the indoctrination of children for its continued popularity.

Children are free to make up their own minds to choose their own path in life. They are taught the oneness and equality of humanity and that all religions are true.

loverofhumanity

Premium Member

Children of Baha’i parents are not forced to learn about Baha’u’llah or religion. There is no law or obligation that they must attend such classes. It is voluntary. They can choose not to attend.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And yet, the one you "realised" is "true" just happens to be the one you were raised in.
Funny that, eh? (Although tbf, you have since invented your own religion, so kudos)

I left Islam for five years. I came back to it because it made rational sense and on investigating Quran, it made the best case for religion for me, nothing to do with family pressure.