• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Qur'an say anything about education?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This article ( Islamophobia: 9 tropes about Muslims - CNN ) claims that "Islam granted women rights to an education".

I don't recall any verse that even remotely discusses education. Comments from our Muslim friends?
In the Quran it does use the word "men" when speaking of education but that could mean mankind (men and woman)
Of course I still use English version of the Qur'an and the orginal arabic word may meand different than what I understand it to be.

stevecanuck

In the Quran it does use the word "men" when speaking of education but that could mean mankind (men and woman)
Of course I still use English version of the Qur'an and the orginal arabic word may meand different than what I understand it to be.

Could you please provide a verse number?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Could you please provide a verse number?
(This is) a Book (the Quran) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember. (38:29)

Of course this verse speak of understanding of the Qur'an ( important as education for Muslims)

stevecanuck

(This is) a Book (the Quran) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember. (38:29)

Of course this verse speak of understanding of the Qur'an ( important as education for Muslims)

I'm talking about education in the sense of schooling (as in the 3 R's, etc.), which is what the article I linked refers to (in other words, I'm demonstrating that Islamopropagandists always lie about what the Qur'an says).

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Wow. Talk about a collection of straw men!
There plenty of actual, legitimate criticisms of Islamic ideology. Pity the author didn't bother to address any of those.

claims that "Islam granted women rights to an education". I don't recall any verse that even remotely discusses education. Comments from our Muslim friends?
That quote from Zainab Chaudry is simply her opinion of rights she would like Muslim women to have. It has little basis in Islamic scripture.
And again, it contains straw men and .
Take the claim "Islam granted women rights to an education, property ownership, inheritance, and divorce." All those things were available to Arab women pre-Islam. Muhammad's first wife was an educated woman who owned property she had inherited from her father. As Chaudry is a spokesperson for CAIR, she presumably knows this, so her claim seems deliberately misleading.

It is quite common for mainstream Islamic apologetics to take this dishonest approach, presumably assuming that either no one will check the details, or if they won't pull her up for fear of accusations of "Islamophobia".

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
The Quran doesn't talk about education at all.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No problem, but back to the original question - do you know of any verse that supports the claim in the link?
No, mostly all of those claims are fearmongering in my view.
To scare people away from Islam.

But I dont hide the fact that some people in Islam do harmful things to others

Not the most factually accurate article :D

Mogahed points out that the term "holy war" originated from The Crusades, a series of wars initiated by the Christian church, and does not originate in Arabic or the Muslim tradition at all.
"And war is not and can never be holy," she added.

Privatized Jihad and Public Order in the Pre-Seljuq Period: The Role of the Mutatawwi'a, Deborah Tor, Iranian Studies, Vol. 38, No. 4 (Dec., 2005), pp. 555-573

The effective halting of the Jihad-and, even worse, the reversal of the offensive into Muslim territory-must have posed an unprecedented crisis for the Faithful. The Jihad, a central tenet of the faith, one which had constituted the main focus of the Caliphate's endeavours from the very beginning of the Islamic polity, had fallen into abeyance. Obviously, the resulting moral and military vacuum at the frontier could not last-and, indeed, it did not. What has been termed "the Jihad State" may have ended, but the Jihad itself did not; it simply became what we today would call "privatized;" that is, it went from cen-trally directed state campaigns to independent, non-governmentally controlled, smaller scale raids led and manned by mutatawwia, volunteer warriors for the faith. This transferral of religious leadership in the Jihad, from the caliph to the mutatawwia, in turn led to truly fundamental changes in all areas of Islamic civilization.

Religiously, the mutatawwi'a movement brought about a revolution regarding the proper role of the political authorities in the Jihad... There was a deep ideological conflict expressed in these two opposing views: namely, do political leaders have religious control over the Jihad, or is it, rather, a religious obligation in which any believer may engage at any time-as he is entitled to do with, say, the giving of alms-irrespective of the political authority. It was the latter view, the view of the mutatawwi'a, which won (at least in 'Iraq), and was eventually adopted by both the Shafi'ite and Hanbalite schools.

The ramifications of this mutatawwi' victory were immense. Again in the religious sphere, the early mutatawwi'a played a decisive role in the consolidation of Sunnism-and particularly Hanbalism-in the decades around the turn of the third Hijri century. The mutatawwi' emphasis on the individual responsibilities of the believer before God-particularly concerning the Jihad-and on guidance by the Prophetic Sunna weakened the religious role of the Caliph, and marked, if not the beginning, certainly one of the most significant steps in the process Crone and Hinds have described as the transition from Caliphal to Prophetic sunna, and also accords well with the timeline they present.24 Thus, the mutatawwi'a, the militant arm of the proto-Sunni Traditionists, played a significant role in Sunnism's victory through the religious prestige they acquired in their role in leading the Jihad...

The rise of the mutatawwi'a, and the significance of their victory in reshaping the Jihad, was not limited to the religious sphere, though; it was fraught with pol-itical consequences as well. Jihad had traditionally lain at the heart of the Muslim polity from the time of the Prophet; the very first governmental organization, the diwan, had been an outcome of this focus on bringing God's rule to the Dar al-Harb. The fact that the Jihad now passed largely out of governmental hands meant that a major factor in the religious identification of Islam with the government was removed. More importantly, since the nongovernmental mutatawwi view of the Jihad was part of a complete religious outlook regarding the relative worth of the contemporaneous imamate compared to that of the Prophet and the early Muslims as preserved by the Traditionists, the undermining effect that the mutatawwi'i victory in the Jihad had upon the caliph's religious standing and authority was not and could not be limited to that one religious area. Rather, once the question of who would wield religious authority in Islam had been settled in favor of the Traditionists-in no small part, thanks to the prestige of the mutatawwi'a caliphal religious stature and authority crumbled, with political authority and power soon following in their wake.

exchemist

Veteran Member
This article ( Islamophobia: 9 tropes about Muslims - CNN ) claims that "Islam granted women rights to an education".

I don't recall any verse that even remotely discusses education. Comments from our Muslim friends?
I would be surprised if the scripture of any religion explicitly recommends the education of women, actually. All of them were written in patriarchal societies and most were not concerned with secular education at all, anyway.

stevecanuck

I would be surprised if the scripture of any religion explicitly recommends the education of women, actually. All of them were written in patriarchal societies and most were not concerned with secular education at all, anyway.

Correct. I recall another discussion where a Muslim woman claimed that the Qur'an gave women the vote. Again, the concept of democracy and voting ( by men or women) is not even hinted at.

Islamopropagandists feel free to make any and all claims about what's in the Qur'an because they know they can get away with any lie they feel like telling.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Correct. I recall another discussion where a Muslim woman claimed that the Qur'an gave women the vote. Again, the concept of democracy and voting ( by men or women) is not even hinted at.

Islamopropagandists feel free to make any and all claims about what's in the Qur'an because they know they can get away with any lie they feel like telling.
But why concentrate on islam all the time?

stevecanuck

But why concentrate on islam all the time?

I started reading the Qur'an after 9/11 so I could prove that Islam doesn't encourage hatred of unbelievers or demand such actions. Those good intentions didn't survive the beginning of surah 2. That's when I realized that Muslims almost always lie about what the Qur'an says, and I hate being lied to. And I hate seeing these lies being accepted without question. Islam is a warrior religion, and people need to know that so they can deal with it from a educated perspective.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
مَا كَانَ لِبَشَرٍ أَنْ يُؤْتِيَهُ اللَّهُ الْكِتَابَ وَالْحُكْمَ وَالنُّبُوَّةَ ثُمَّ يَقُولَ لِلنَّاسِ كُونُوا عِبَادًا لِي مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ وَلَٰكِنْ كُونُوا رَبَّانِيِّينَ بِمَا كُنْتُمْ تُعَلِّمُونَ الْكِتَابَ وَبِمَا كُنْتُمْ تَدْرُسُونَ | It does not behoove any human that Allah should give him the Book, judgement and prophethood, and then he should say to the people, ‘Be my servants instead of Allah.’ Rather [he would say], ‘Be a godly people, because of your teaching the Book and because of your studying it.’ | Aal-i-Imraan : 79

It's translated as godly people but Rabiniyeen has a meaning of being a religious scholar as well as pious as well as free of love of dunya. Worshiping God sincerely is part of it, but the word has other implications. You can look up the word: رَبَّانِيِّينَ and look up definition of it.

So women are to educate and learn, and you can search the lives of Fatima Al-Zahra (a) daughter of Mohammad (s), Zainab (a) sister of Hussain (a), and Al-Masooma (a) and what Imam Reda (a) said about her. Also Khadija (a) research her life before Nubuwa Mohammad (a) and after, since she is considered a holy exalted lady as well.

Not only women are to be educated they are to be politically active and participate in society.

As for the right to vote:

وَالَّذِينَ اسْتَجَابُوا لِرَبِّهِمْ وَأَقَامُوا الصَّلَاةَ وَأَمْرُهُمْ شُورَىٰ بَيْنَهُمْ وَمِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ يُنْفِقُونَ | those who answer their Lord, maintain the prayer, and [conduct] their affairs by counsel among themselves, and they spend out of what We have provided them; | Ash-Shura : 38