• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Father take second place in Christianity?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The general belief of Christianity is simple - Jesus = Father = Holy Spirit
It does look strange and it's not something we humans can understand, but that's the core of Christianity (judging by Orthodox & Catholic) so when one prays to only one of those three, he or she is praying to all three. There might be branches of Christianity who have a different view on this.

The problem though is that Jesus claimed only to be the Messiah. He never said he was God, or part of any trinity.

He also said to worship God - not him.

Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Raahim

مكتوب
The problem though is that Jesus claimed only to be the Messiah. He never said he was God, or part of any trinity.

He also said to worship God - not him.

Luk 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

I can't remember verses where Yeshua clearly stated that he is the messiah - I'm not being rude or anything, I just can't remember at the moment. :eek:
Yeshua wanted to reform Judaism in that time, but guess there were people whose interest was to make a god from him. :confused:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I can't remember verses where Yeshua clearly stated that he is the messiah - I'm not being rude or anything, I just can't remember at the moment. :eek:
Yeshua wanted to reform Judaism in that time, but guess there were people whose interest was to make a god from him. :confused:
John 10:30 I and the Father are one.”

John 8:57-59 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!” [58] “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” [59] At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

Raahim

مكتوب
John 10:30 I and the Father are one.”

John 8:57-59 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!” [58] “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” [59] At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

Thanks for the reference, again as the Bible wasn't written in the moment of those events it's very debatable if Yeshua really said those words. Thanks again for the verses.

Akivah

Acts 7:7 But I will punish the nation they serve as slaves,' God said, 'and afterward they will come out of that country and worship me in this place.'

OK, there it is.

My only "but" is that this phrase is copied from the so-called Old Testament. It isn't G-d talking about anything in the so-called New Testament.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Thanks for the reference, again as the Bible wasn't written in the moment of those events it's very debatable if Yeshua really said those words. Thanks again for the verses.

His first reference - John 10:30 "I and the Father are one.” - has nothing to do with messiah.

And it probably just means - the same goals, understandings, etc. Same as - "I and the president are one."

The second - John 8:57 is a Messiah reference.

John 8:58 Said he Jesus, Amen (so be it, or, it is so) Amen, saying to them, for Abraham to be (gonomai) fulfilled, I am.

(MOSES) Deu 18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;

(YHVH) Deu 18:18 I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.

Act 7:37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

(Jesus) Joh 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.

Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

To Abraham - Gen 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

The Messiah comes from his line.

Genesis 49:10 "The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh comes; and to Him shall be the obedience of the people"

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus

Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

John 8:58 Said he Jesus, Amen (so be it, or, it is so) Amen, saying to them, for Abraham to be (gonomai) fulfilled, I am.

John 4:25
The woman said to Him, "I know that Messiah is coming (He who is called Christ); when that One comes, He will declare all things to us." 26 Jesus said to her, "I who speak to you am He."

They are definitely claiming Jesus is the awaited Messiah.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I've heard things like "If a person worships Jesus Christ, then they are already worshiping the Father by default." (Paraphrasing of course). I hear a lot of attention being given to Jesus and the Holy Spirit, who absolutely deserve it, and relatively less attention given to the Father. The Father gets a few Highlights like "For God so loved the world... & ...fallen short of the Glory of God". But there isn't much discussion about "The Father" in these discussion boards. Am I wrong? Has anyone else noticed this? If so, do you see this a cause for concern?

Thank you.

I believe the name of Jesus is exalted above all names.

I believe there is no difference in attention because The Son and Father are one God.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The general belief of Christianity is simple - Jesus = Father = Holy Spirit
It does look strange and it's not something we humans can understand, but that's the core of Christianity (judging by Orthodox & Catholic) so when one prays to only one of those three, he or she is praying to all three. There might be branches of Christianity who have a different view on this.

I belvee I understand it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
As I understand Christianity the whole point is that you can only get to the father through Jesus Christ. In general however there is far more debating of God on the RF then Christ, God is just not referred to as the father all the time.

I believe there is an incorrect understanding of the word through. I think some people think it means "by means of" but I believe it simply means that one does not access the Father without accessing Jesus as well.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I've heard things like "If a person worships Jesus Christ, then they are already worshiping the Father by default." (Paraphrasing of course). I hear a lot of attention being given to Jesus and the Holy Spirit, who absolutely deserve it, and relatively less attention given to the Father. The Father gets a few Highlights like "For God so loved the world... & ...fallen short of the Glory of God". But there isn't much discussion about "The Father" in these discussion boards. Am I wrong? Has anyone else noticed this? If so, do you see this a cause for concern?
Thank you.
Paul and his associates and the Church carved a human-god from pagan culture for worship , against Jesus' consent and teachings.
Regards

roger1440

I do stuff
I read somewhere long time ago that it was common for Jews in the period of Yeshua to use the term father when referring to God, so it wasn't something unusual as Christians think.
Jewish scripture does not refer to God as father but it is implied. Attributes normally associated with a father are guidance, protection, discipline, love, rules, food and shelter. All of these God had provided to the Jews during the Exodus.

“Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son,” (Exodus 4:22)

“The LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.” (Deut. 1:31)

"When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.” (Hosea 11:1)

During the plague of the first born, God spared his own first born (Israel).

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Jewish scripture does not refer to God as father but it is implied. Attributes normally associated with a father are guidance, protection, discipline, love, rules, food and shelter. All of these God had provided to the Jews during the Exodus.
“Then say to Pharaoh, 'This is what the LORD says: Israel is my firstborn son,” (Exodus 4:22)
“The LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.” (Deut. 1:31)
"When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son.” (Hosea 11:1)
During the plague of the first born, God spared his own first born (Israel).
Jesus is son in the same sense as "Israel" was son of God. Paul made a blunder to have the Christians believe that Jesus was literal or physical son of god or a god. The Christians should realize.
Regards

Muffled

Jesus in me
Paul and his associates and the Church carved a human-god from pagan culture for worship , against Jesus' consent and teachings.
Regards

I believe that is very bad smelling manure. I believe you ought to try reality for a change.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus is son in the same sense as "Israel" was son of God. Paul made a blunder to have the Christians believe that Jesus was literal or physical son of god or a god. The Christians should realize.
Regards

I believe neither Paul nor Jesus nor the prophets made a blunder. I believe you are the one making a blunder.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Does the Father take second place in Christianity?
For some people, please note I am specifying people, not religions, the Father comes in third after the Son who is after the Bible....
For some, the Father comes in fourth, after the son who comes after the Bible who comes after a favoured Saint.

Please note I am not claiming that any religion teaches any of the above, merely pointing out that for some people.....