• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does the Bible say anything about Cremation

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
A friend of a member of my dad's congregation was cremated. The member has a problem with this as he believe that those who are cremated will not be able to rise from the grave in the days of the second coming.
So I have a few questions regarding this:

1 What is the general idea under Christians regarding the various ways such as burial, cremation etc. - is there a specific preferred way with reasons?
2 Does the Bible say anything about burial or cremation?
3 Do you agree with the above statement that of the concerned friend and why or why not?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The member has a problem with this as he believe that those who are cremated will not be able to rise from the grave in the days of the second coming.
If God is able to create the world ex nihilo and raise bodies long since decayed into the elements, I'm sure he'll have no problem bringing back those who have been cremated.

What is the general idea under Christians regarding the various ways such as burial, cremation etc. - is there a specific preferred way with reasons?
Cremation has traditionally been frowned upon. The body is sacred and is to be glorified at the second coming. Even if not the intent cremation can be seen as a statement that the body is a disposable vessel to be destroyed. It's a tacit rejection of the body's sacredness and the future bodily resurrection which is a core teaching of traditional Christianity. I think the idea that people believed that cremation would actually prevent resurrection is myth. As if God's will can be frustrated by human action.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
If God is able to create the world ex nihilo and raise bodies long since decayed into the elements, I'm sure he'll have no problem bringing back those who have been cremated.

That is what my dad told the guy and was my immediate conclusion as well. I think people who say things like that have no idea of the greatness of God. However, my dad want to give the guy some Biblical proof as well.
Thanks for your answer on the traditional idea, I didn't know that.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A friend of a member of my dad's congregation was cremated. The member has a problem with this as he believe that those who are cremated will not be able to rise from the grave in the days of the second coming.
1 What is the general idea under Christians regarding the various ways such as burial, cremation etc. - is there a specific preferred way with reasons?
3 Do you agree with the above statement that of the concerned friend and why or why not?

Please mention to your friend people who were destroyed in bombings, and who had burials at sea have no remains to resurrect.
During Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over earth please have your friend notice Revelation 20:13 because it says that the sea gave up the dead in it. So, as there are No remains for the dead in the seas, and No remains for those who were completely burnt up in house fires there is hope because the person is in God's memory.

The price tag that sin pays is Not a dead body but the death of the person - Romans 6:23; Romans 6:7
Except for those of Hebrews 6:4-6, the rest are freed or acquitted from their sins by their death, Not by their dead body remains.
Being freed or acquitted does Not mean the person is now innocent, but as a governor can pardon a person so the crime charges do Not stick, Jesus can pardon a person so the sin charges do Not stick. During Jesus' 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth Jesus will resurrect those in death - Revelation 1:18 - No body needed. They will then be judged on what they do ' after ' they are resurrected in a healthy physical sound body on earth. They will have the opportunity to live forever on earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

David1967

Premium Member

The Bible is silent concerning creation, therefore I think it is just fine if its what you want. The biggest loser when a person chooses creation is the funeral home since they don't make as much money off the grieving family. Personally it is what I want for myself. Never could figure out why we would pay ,for lack of a better word, a taxidermist to stuff us like a fish to be displayed on the wall and then bury us to never be seen again. Besides, the funeral services that I have been to where the person was cremated the focus seems to be more on memories of the person than the corpse in the box. I like that.