• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Encourage Violence?

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
I'm sorry...wasn't the thread about the Bible promoting violins? After all...God did set a bow in the sky...:rainbow1:

:Edit: Next, someone's going to say that the Bible promotes sax, too! Although trumpets and timbrels and harps are mentioned, nowhere are pianos or saxes promoted.

God wants everyone on RF to buy me a Collings.

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
When God talks to you, does God talk in English, or do you have to translate the Hebrew? Maybe God wants everyone on RF to buy you a collie...

:ignore:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Does the Bible encourage collies? One of my students had a violin that was a real dog...

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
Does the Bible encourage collies? One of my students had a violin that was a real dog...

You're killing me!! :thud:

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
You're the one hoping to "fleas" the members for a new guitar...

I simply hope for people to live their philosophies pragmatically and consistently.:eek:

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
But we digress...

Precisely.

If we didn't talk about guitars, we would have to stop pretending that the Bible doesn't condone violence.

It's more fun to give our attention to a red herring.

SoyLeche

meh...
angellous_evangellous said:
Precisely.

If we didn't talk about guitars, we would have to stop pretending that the Bible doesn't condone violence.

At the risk of getting back on topic:

Does condone = encourage?

sojourner

Let's think about this rationally for a moment.

What does that really mean, or imply, for "the Bible" to "condone" violence.
The Bible has no mind or agenda of its own. It is the compilation of many writings of many authors from many different time periods. I really don't think "the Bible" condones anything. Maybe the writers condoned something...
And just because the writers had certain viewpoints of God and God's purposes, does it necessarily follow that we must hold the same viewpoints as the authors did?

sojourner

angellous_evangellous said:
Precisely.

Or a red Stratocaster. Sorry.

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
Or a red Stratocaster. Sorry.

Amberburst Collings.

HD28SB-AMB_body-front_sm_.jpg

When the Gospels and Acts of the Apostles were written, the Catholic leaders of the day decided to add what we now call the "Old Testament" and create what we now call the Bible. They did this for a number of reasons and here are a few. Most Catholics during the first century AD were also jews. The Old Testament is a history of the jewish people and it made sense to add their history to the teachings of Christ. After all, Christ was raised as a Jew. The Old Testament also gave the Gospels a historical context of who God was and what he demanded of us. But the New Testament is the New Covenant between God and humanity. It supersedes the teachings of the Old Testament. Here's an example. The Ten Commandments in the Old Testament specify that - you shall not kill. But why not? Because God commands it. But Christ tells us to - Love One Another. If you truly love your fellow man then you would never even think about killing them.

Remember that Christ the cornerstone of the Catholic Church. The New Testament defines the life of Christ and the teachings of Christ. Therefore, it supersedes and often contradicts some phrases of the "Old Testament". We Catholics have no quarrels with the teaching of evolution in schools eventhough it contradicts creationism in the Old Testament. In fact, I learned about evolution while attending a Catholic elementary school from Nuns.

We Catholics clearly understand that God made us in his own image and that we should live a life free of sin. And we also know that the Christ is the New Covenant between God and man, and that understanding comes from the New Testament and not the Old Testament.

:yes:

ProfLogic

sojourner said:
Let's think about this rationally for a moment.

What does that really mean, or imply, for "the Bible" to "condone" violence.
The Bible has no mind or agenda of its own. It is the compilation of many writings of many authors from many different time periods. I really don't think "the Bible" condones anything. Maybe the writers condoned something...
And just because the writers had certain viewpoints of God and God's purposes, does it necessarily follow that we must hold the same viewpoints as the authors did?

Off topic this doesn't soun dlike inspired by god then, unless I am mistaken.... Now in that case how the <stratocaster> would humans figure out what the <fender> it meant with all the 606 book in the OT and whatever count in the NT.