• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Encourage Violence?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
ProfLogic said:
Off topic this doesn't soun dlike inspired by god then, unless I am mistaken.... Now in that case how the <stratocaster> would humans figure out what the <fender> it meant with all the 606 book in the OT and whatever count in the NT.

It is possible for something to be inspired by God and written through the lens of one's own perspective.

ProfLogic

Saint George said:
When the Gospels and Acts of the Apostles were written, the Catholic leaders of the day decided to add what we now call the "Old Testament" and create what we now call the Bible. They did this for a number of reasons and here are a few. Most Catholics during the first century AD were also jews. The Old Testament is a history of the jewish people and it made sense to add their history to the teachings of Christ. After all, Christ was raised as a Jew. The Old Testament also gave the Gospels a historical context of who God was and what he demanded of us. But the New Testament is the New Covenant between God and humanity. It supersedes the teachings of the Old Testament. Here's an example. The Ten Commandments in the Old Testament specify that - you shall not kill. But why not? Because God commands it. But Christ tells us to - Love One Another. If you truly love your fellow man then you would never even think about killing them.

Historically it made sense, One was trying to create a nation, what do we see when this happens.. violence, civil war etc. It is still evident today. Now the NT seems to be that the Nation had been established so it is a time of peace, thus the authors ammended it. It may also mean that since they were a conquered people that they wanted to have a story about love so that their conquerers may learn compassion. The Catholic church believes the ends does not justify the means. So no matter what changes you still need to look at the originating action, whicg is in this case violence against humanity.

ProfLogic

sojourner said:
It is possible for something to be inspired by God and written through the lens of one's own perspective.

Then it sounds like the authors perspective since he could have overridden the inspiration with his own biases/ prejuidices. It shows..... male dominated writings...

sojourner

ProfLogic said:
Then it sounds like the authors perspective since he could have overridden the inspiration with his own biases/ prejuidices. It shows..... male dominated writings...

That's the first lucid thing I've seen from you.

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:

:149:You must spread some Karma around before giving it to $userinfo[username] again.:149:

ProfLogic

sojourner said:

Nope, I have seen it in another posts.lol.... well I am a strong advocate that the bible was written by man (hebrew) as a form of unity to become a nation. This is all it is. People translated it throught the years and became a book of manipulation.

sojourner

ProfLogic said:
Nope, I have seen it in another posts.lol.... well I am a strong advocate that the bible was written by man (hebrew) as a form of unity to become a nation. This is all it is. People translated it throught the years and became a book of manipulation.

Some have undoubtedly used it in a manipulative way. But that was not its intended use.

ProfLogic

sojourner said:
Some have undoubtedly used it in a manipulative way. But that was not its intended use.

You would think so but if the scriptures truly said we know.. then there is truly no other choice but to follow or die eternally is there? Is still manipulation in that way.

sojourner

ProfLogic said:
You would think so but if the scriptures truly said we know.. then there is truly no other choice but to follow or die eternally is there? Is still manipulation in that way.

I don't believe that.

sojourner

ProfLogic said:
thats way there are 2 sides in every statement.
If you want to twist theology to suit yourself, you may. But the twisting has no bearing upon the inherent truth that theology conveys whatsoever.

:edit: When we twist theology, we end up wearing Nikes and waiting for the mother ship.

ProfLogic

sojourner said:
If you want to twist theology to suit yourself, you may. But the twisting has no bearing upon the inherent truth that theology conveys whatsoever.

But theology is human based too....... there was no god now that speaks for it.. only humans.

sojourner

ProfLogic said:
But theology is human based too....... there was no god now that speaks for it.. only humans.

I disagree. The truth to which theology speaks is God-inspired.

A

angellous_evangellous

sojourner said:
When we twist theology, we end up wearing Nikes and waiting for the mother ship.

I won't give up my American Eagle boots for Nike. Sorry.

jorylore

PureMuslim said:
Wow and peopele say Islam is a violent religion-- See my latest post for more details about that subject (Clarafying a Misunderstood Subject: What is Jihad?)...

"WILL MAKE MY ARROWS DRUNK WITH BLOOD, AND MY SWORD SHALL DEVOUR FLESH... DEFEAT THEM AND DISTROY THEM UTTERLY...MAKE NO TREATY WITH THEM AND SHOW NO FAVOUR TO THEM" (DUETERONOMY 7:1-2)

"wHEN... GOD GIVES (A CITY) INTO YOUR HANDS, KILL ALL THE MEN IN IT... DO NOT LEAVE ALIVE ANYTHING THAT BREATHS" (DEUTERONOMY 20:10-17)

ok and this one is really messed up:

"KILL EVERY MALE CHILD AND BABY AND KILL EVERY WOMAN WHO IS NOT A VIRGIN. BUT SAVE FOR YOURSELF THE VIRGIN GIRLS." (NUMBERS 31:17-18)

--ok ok so not only do i kill the children i rape the virgins? Im telling you this is not the word of god. FACE IT THE BIBLE HAS BEEN ALTERED BY BAD AND UNHOLY PEOPLE

Does the Bible promote violence, e.i., human against human, plotting revenge based on a imperfect and bias justice system? No. Definitely not.
Is God a God of War who's actions sometimes involved the killing of others? Absolutely!

People read in the Bible that God is a God of love and they think that's all he is. No.
His other three dominate qualities are justice, wisdom, and power. Keeping these qualities in perfect balance require that when his righteous standards are violated action must be taken, even if that meant the wiping out of entire nations. Remember, we're not speaking of a imperfect judge who must decide based on incomplete info. We're speaking about the Creator of all who can reach into the heart of the individual and pull out the real motive. He knows if there is anything in there worth saving or not. When he did run across a nation that had potential, he did not have them destroyed. He sent his prophets to warn them and teach them what was right. If they changed, they were spared. (ex. Ninevah). If it was completely hopeless based on the heart condition of the people, then they were destroyed immediately. (ex. Sodom) Unlike humans who wage war for selfish reasons, God took into account the heart condition of each nation. Also, remember Rehab? (Joshua 2, 3) She was part of a wicked nation but because she showed faith in the true God she and her household were spared. So, He took into account the individual as well.

This God makes perfect sense to me. What person on this forum would allow anyone to come into your home and do whatever they wanted without any regard for your rules and requests. If they destroy furniture, hurt your loved ones, eat your food and steal your money would you think that by tolerating such action your showing diplomacy, fairness, love? No! You would feel that your rights as a home-owner and family head had been violated and that you had a right to take action in order to protect your family. Granted, you wouldn't blow the intruder away with a bazooka ( I hope) but you would get them out of your house. And you would be acting within your rights to do so.

So, God's house (earth) . God's way. Anyone who doesn't agree can leave.

ProfLogic

jorylore said:
Also, remember Rehab? (Joshua 2, 3) She was part of a wicked nation but because she showed faith in the true God she and her household were spared. So, He took into account the individual as well.

To your point, even though you are violent you will be spared if you believe in it. Thus bottom line.. promotes the idea of violence. Violence needs to be rebuked.

jorylore

ProfLogic said:
To your point, even though you are violent you will be spared if you believe in it. Thus bottom line.. promotes the idea of violence. Violence needs to be rebuked.

That wasn't my point at all.

Read, read, read!