• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
According to the Christian theological and apologetic websites I read online, the Bible was authored over a period of 1,500 years by forty men, from three continents, and in three languages: Hebrew, Koine Greek, and Aramaic. And that's not to mention the number of times the Bible has been translated into different languages. I searched online to find out how many English versions of the Bible are now in print, and the results ranged in the hundreds (see the search results here). With this in mind, which Bible is accurate? Is it the Catholic Bible, with 73 books, the Greek Orthodox Bible, with 79 books, or one of the Protestant Bibles, with 66 books? If it's a Protestant Bible, which version is most accurate? Is it the KJV or one of the hundred other English versions?

Personally, I think that we should take whatever is written in the Bible with a grain of salt. In my opinion, it is riddled with contradictions, such as the verse that claims God never changes. Numbers 23:19 states, "God is not a man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said it, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?" However, other verses state that God changes his mind and relents from causing disaster to punish people for their sins (Jeremiah 18:5–10; Jeremiah 26:3; Joel 2:13–14; Jonah 3:9; Jonah 4:2). In my opinion, these verses contradict Numbers 23:19.

Amos 7:3 "The Lord changed His mind about this. "It shall not be," said the LORD.

Amos 7:6 "The Lord changed His mind about this. "This too shall not be," said the Lord God.

Exodus 32:14 "So the Lord changed His mind about the harm that He said He would do to His people."
I was getting more at the issue of who wrote it and when. Of course it was many authors over a long period of time. The first part, after all, even comes from a different religion.
But one can argue that "wrote the Bible" refers to when Books of the Bible were selected for cannonization.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
According to the Christian theological and apologetic websites I read online, the Bible was authored over a period of 1,500 years by forty men, from three continents, and in three languages: Hebrew, Koine Greek, and Aramaic. And that's not to mention the number of times the Bible has been translated into different languages. I searched online to find out how many English versions of the Bible are now in print, and the results ranged in the hundreds (see the search results here). With this in mind, which Bible is accurate? Is it the Catholic Bible, with 73 books, the Greek Orthodox Bible, with 79 books, or one of the Protestant Bibles, with 66 books? If it's a Protestant Bible, which version is most accurate? Is it the KJV or one of the hundred other English versions?

Personally, I think that we should take whatever is written in the Bible with a grain of salt. In my opinion, it is riddled with contradictions, such as the verse that claims God never changes. Numbers 23:19 states, "God is not a man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said it, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?" However, other verses state that God changes his mind and relents from causing disaster to punish people for their sins (Jeremiah 18:5–10; Jeremiah 26:3; Joel 2:13–14; Jonah 3:9; Jonah 4:2). In my opinion, these verses contradict Numbers 23:19.

Amos 7:3 "The Lord changed His mind about this. "It shall not be," said the LORD.

Amos 7:6 "The Lord changed His mind about this. "This too shall not be," said the Lord God.

Exodus 32:14 "So the Lord changed His mind about the harm that He said He would do to His people."
I never trust apologetic websites. Their job appears to be to lie for Jesus. Any contradiction will be denied and quite often lied about. And their dating of the Bible appears to be quite wrong too. They are assuming that some of the mythical authors were real, such as Moses. Biblical scholars give a much younger date for the Pentateuch.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/YaBBAttachments/101_Contradictions_In_The_Bible.pdf

Kindly check every entry of the 101 of above like and find for yourself, right?
These errors and contradictions occurred because the Gospel writers/failed to write correctly what Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah taught or did, please, right?

Regards
No. A lot of those are Old Testament as well. The first one checks out. I am not going to go through all 101.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And look at how bad your argument is here. You say your god blinds unbelievers, then get upset that they reject your Bible.
I don't think that God blinds unbelievers. I think that God opens their eyes so they can see past the Bible, which is an outdated book.
Whether or not the Bible was divinely inspired or not is another subject. Some of it might have been but I don't think all of it was.

Last edited:
There is no other place where the completed Bible comes from. Of course the Talmud having Jewish origins with the New Testament tacked on by the Catholic Church with exclusive possession not available to the lay.

The church took the missing bits and filled in the gaps with its clergy.

First the Latin Vulgate followed by the Wycliffe published in 1382.
The Bible has 66 books, the Roman Catholic Church had nothing to do with any of the books. They all existed long before the RCC came into existence. There are many different publishers but they can only publish the same 66 books. Nobody is allowed to mess with Gods Word, they all know that God promised to cast anyone who adds or takes away a single jot or tittle from the Bible, will be cast into the lake of fire

No need. One can just disregard it.

Anecdote: I moved to the reddest part of a red state in 1998 to avoid California's HMOs and regain some control over my medical practice. I joined a large group and was assigned a consultation room, a private bathroom, and two examination rooms in the clinic, which exam rooms contained Bibles in them.

I had the Bibles removed not because they were Bibles, but because they were books, which don't belong in an examination room. The doctor doesn't want to find his patient reading a book (or on the phone) when he comes into the exam room and telling the doctor that he needs a minute or two to finish the page (or the call). These were mostly conservative Christians, and they knew that I was a Californian atheist, so the news of this spread through the clinic like wildfire (less than an hour before I heard about it) beginning with the nurse (Pansy) who I asked to remove them.

This is why I'm an antitheist and why I object to this religion. It makes people small. It made these people tiny. I was depicted as an enemy of Jesus just as you would do now. Not surprisingly, as soon as my contract expired, I broke free and opened a private office, and did it my way. Exactly ten years later to the day, when my second 5-year office lease expired, we closed the office, sold everything, retired, and moved to Mexico, which was the purpose of moving to the "heartland." What a long, strange trip.

One more anecdote. As I said, I was there in backwater Missouri to avoid HMO micromanagement. My first day making rounds, I'm in the ICU, and a nurse (a different Pansy) asks me, "Dr. *****, what brought you out to rule Missouri?" This is how she pronounced rural, but I didn't know that yet. I answered, "I'm flattered that you think I could rule your state, but I'm only here to regain some control over my own life." Then her face became as confused-looking as mine must have been.

Once I realized what was happening, I poked a little more. There are people who don't pronounce R's normally (watah, flied lice), but she wasn't one of them. She pronounced the first R properly, but there was no second R sound. So I pointed out that it was ROO-rull where came from. She answered, "That's what I said." I explained that it came out ROOL. "Yes, ROOL." So I said, "Say ROO" "Roo" "Now rull" "rull." Now say the one after the other: ROO-rull." "ROOL."

In the United States, you've got a Supreme Court trying to make its understanding of that Bible commands the law of the land, and a presidential candidate and former president hawking signed copies.

They weren't written for you.

You're the one wearing the faith-based confirmation bias, the one that doesn't allow you to see the evidence in support of the theory of evolution (another active thread).

And look at how bad your argument is here. You say your god blinds unbelievers, then get upset that they reject your Bible.
Thank you for confirming everything God said about His enemies. God said He hides the truth from the proud and reveals it to the humble. He delights in putting the wise guys to shame by the foolish things of the world. He said, they will diligently seek but I will hide it form them.

Truth and wisdom are not something one can learn about in a text book, God must give it to the person or they will never find it. God said, "the things of God are foolishness to those who are perishing". This means it's impossible for the natural man to know the truth, he is condemned to live in darkness and he will be tossed around by every false doctrine, like a boat on a stormy sea without a rudder.

Everything God predicted in the Bible has either come to pass or is yet to happen, so it is 100% accurate and there's no chance anyone will escape Gods judgement. Everyone will be judged according to their relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, everyone either knows Him as their friend or enemy. He will cast all of His enemies into the lake of fire, where the torment is eternal.

Everyone one is created to worship, whether you believe it or not. We all either worship and serve God or the god of this world "Mammon". Nobody can opt out of serving one of these two, those who deny that they serve either are serving Mammon by default.

I can't share spiritual things with you, unless God opens your spiritual eyes. Until then they will remain foolishness to you.

God doesn't get upset when unbelievers reject His warning, as they will be severely punished for their disobedience He would only be upset if they escaped His justice, but that's not possible so all is well.

I read the intro .. and find the assertion that folks have not found errors and contradictions in the Bible ... long past the giggle test. Every theological School - every Seminary - all academic thought and Biblical Scholarship from Christian or Jewish Perspective - readily admit and teach that there are errors - contradictions - Edits - Omissions - interpolations - additions anachronisms and too many contradictions to count.

all except the fundamentalist literalists .. OK .. and almost none of those studying this topic have run out and become devout believers on this basis ..

The Bible was not even written to be error free or taken as literalists do .. "every word God Breathed" .. is just nonsense to those who put the Jewish Bible together .. NO one has claimed this nonsense about the Jewish Bible .. The Wisdom literature of Solomon .. proverbs .. the Songs that were sung in the temple .. are not Gods words Breathed .. these are words of Wisdom from a Wise King .. Songs written for the Temple ..by people .. just like the songs we sing in Church Today .. No Jew tells you these were written by God. This is pure nonsense .. this is not what the people who wrote the song believed .. not what the Jews who collected these songs at a later date believed .. not what the people who put these songs .. historical chronicals .. and a host of other things into the Jewish Bible Believed ?

Sure .. certain parts are believed to be "Word of God" -- but not the whole book Brother Charles .

Now -- you wished for "Contradiction" -- God's word say one thing .. then say the complete opposite. Assuming the whole book is God Breathed ... and Breathed by the Same God. .. you see .. if you read the Bible Properly .. through the eyes of the folks who wrote the darn book .. rather than your own perspected which is Jaded by Ha Satan aka the man made dogma of his minions .. there is no contradition.. one God say one thing .. another God say another .. because those in the Bible .. from Abe through the end of the Israelites believe in the existence of many Gods.

Now -- you claim you know which command in the Bible is from God -- such that you can then follow this command .. and thus do right in the eyes of the Lord.. ands .. in the words of the prophets .. be put right with God.

I claim .. firstly that you do not know which God of the Bible you follow .. never mind follow the commands of that God due to your inability to choose which of the following commands is from your God .. and the name/identity of that God (Identity - if you don't know the name .. some other descriptor such as God of Jesus "The FAther" -- something allowing a distinction between various Gods)

We will not have a problem with not knowing the name as the name of the God giving the command is known .. even if not known to you.

So in the case of Sin against the Jealous God -- which command do we follow .... and what is the name of that God.

1) Kill the Child for the Sins of the Father .. or
2) Do not kill the Child for the Sins of the Father - Let each Person be punished for his own sin

Which command will you follow .. and what is the name of the God that has issued that command. ? .. Obviously you can not follow both commands .. due to the contradiction.
Wow, you used a lot of words to say nothing. You cited no errors or contradictions, you just showed that you don't even know a single verse of the Bible you sought to discredit. That was a very lame impotent attempt, which only exposed your ignorance of the facts. I'm still waiting for some wise guy to find an error or contradiction

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Bible has 66 books, the Roman Catholic Church had nothing to do with any of the books. They all existed long before the RCC came into existence. There are many different publishers but they can only publish the same 66 books. Nobody is allowed to mess with Gods Word, they all know that God promised to cast anyone who adds or takes away a single jot or tittle from the Bible, will be cast into the lake of fire
I see that you are a bit confused. The Catholic Church was at one point the only church then on July 16 1054 CE the Greek Orthodox Church split off from the Catholic church. Both called themselves Catholics, but the Church centered in Rome adopted the name Roman Catholic and the Greeks went with Greek Orthodox. Protestantism was about 500 years in the future.

So what? People watch YT videos and convert to flat earth. This doesn't make it true.

And people loose their faith in the Bible after studying it more thoroughly. My personal experience.

It doesn't matter how many prophecies he fulfilled. If he hasn't fulfilled all the requirements he can't be the Messiah. Being more popular than other Messiah claimants is not enough.
The things of God are foolishness to those who are perishing, so the bible is certainly not for everyone

The one example of "statistics" that you gave was terribly flawed. And your other example was a joke. You used Lee Strobel of all people. You need something a lot stronger than that.

Strobel did something that an atheist, especially one that was not a scholar, would never do. He set out to "disprove Jesus". Well that is just stupid. First off he ignored who had the burden of proof. Second he did not study any of the history or language of the time so he went to a fight that was not his to fight totally unarmed. There is no wonder that he failed. He would get whipped in a debate by actual scholars such as Richard Carrier or Barth Ehrman.
You're not interested in the truth of the matter, you don't want to let the truth get in the way of a good story

danieldemol

Premium Member
One important point that needs to be touched on here is that some people believe that
the verse in Matt (24:14) says the "... gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the
world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

Without getting into a debate concerning what "all the world" meant to them, let's just cut
to the chase because it seems it was believed that was already done.
Romans 1:8 ... I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is
spoken of throughout the whole world.
Romans 16:25-26 "... according to the revelation of the mystery, kept secret since
the world began, but now has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures,
has been made known to all nations ...."

The picture here would imply that – based on what we know today regarding the size
of “the world” – they got it wrong, and “the whole world” didn’t know, hence the
writings that states this “return” was imminent (in THEIR time) – but it really wasn’t. If
that’s the case we have a problem again, because these people were getting this picture
from God, and if God saw a mistake (“the whole world” didn’t know) one would tend to
think God would have corrected it for these “coming later generations” like you, me and
everyone in between – but it never happened.

Colossians 1:5-6 ... of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel,
which has come to you, as it has also in all the world ....
Colossians 1:23 ... the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to
every creature under heaven....

For those who really worry about this study, we now, technically, have what is called
– a legal loophole. (A loophole allows an individual or group to use some gap in the
restrictions or requirements of the law or contract for personal advantage without
technically breaking the law or contract. Loophole )

In other words, if the idea of “the world now knows ” was wrong, if it was a human error,
and it was never corrected by “God” … we cannot be held responsible for this error,
Jesus is still coming, end of story. They were the “leadership” … they got it wrong …
period.

The texts, information all coming from God as source, now would have an identified
major flaw, and since God knows everything, and this text does state this “return and
end of the world” was to have happened 2000 rounded years ago, and it didn’t, it can no
longer be trusted; and as recipients of this mess, we are not responsible.

Like anything regarding constructivism, it’s all about the data, and whatever it says is
fine with me. I just don’t see this as anything else but a grand mistake that has traveled
2000 rounded years to us today, based only on non-verified information, AKA “beliefs.”
What translation are you using?

I see that you are a bit confused. The Catholic Church was at one point the only church then on July 16 1054 CE the Greek Orthodox Church split off from the Catholic church. Both called themselves Catholics, but the Church centered in Rome adopted the name Roman Catholic and the Greeks went with Greek Orthodox. Protestantism was about 500 years in the future.
The word "Catholic" means universal, so when you add the word "Roman" to Universal, it becomes an oxymoron and a contradiction of terms.

There has only ever been one Universal (Catholic) Church, and there always only will be one. But it has nothing to do with the Pagan Roman Religion which imposed itself on the Church and hijacked it and held it hostage until the Reformers came along in the early 1,500's and organized protest against Romanism.

After a long and bloody battle against Romanism, the Church was liberated from Popery and the Vatican. Tens of millions died in the battle to liberate the Church from Pagan Roman Oppression. The Church has enjoyed liberty and expediential growth for the past 500 years. Romanism was domed to extinction and we can see it dying a slow and painful death

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hey, @Charles Philips - I'm still waiting for your answer... if you have one:

I thought my meaning was clear, but apparently not.

Please give an answer - as long as you like - that gives a single coherent and consistent version of what happened.

Who do you think found the empty tomb? Was it:

- Mary Magdalene, "the other Mary," and Salome? (Mark)
- Mary Magdalene and "the other Mary" without Salome? (Matthew)
- Mary Magdalene by herself? (John)
- unidentified "women"? (Luke)

When the person or people discovered it, what did they do right away? Did they:

- enter the tomb and find a young man inside dressed in white? (Matthew and Mark)
- enter the tomb and then find TWO men OUTSIDE dressed in white? (Luke)
- not enter the tomb at all and instead immediately run to find Simon Peter and "the disciple whom Jesus loved"? (John)

After that, what did they do? Did they:

- tell nobody? (Mark)
- tell many disciples? (Matthew and Luke)
- go back to the tomb with Simon Peter and the other disciple, then stay there alone after the disciples leave? (John)

Please tell me how you reconcile all these accounts in a way that doesn't contradict any of them.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
God said that He has not given the gift of discernment to unbelievers, so His Word is foolishness to them. Only His Elect Saints have been given the gift of understanding His Word. He said "My Sheep hear My voice". So I'm not surprised to hear you struggling to make sense of what God has said.
Yes, I've heard that a lot. So let me tell you what I think of a "god" that would favour some and prevent others from "understanding His Word," for which, by the way, they will be rewarded or punished -- deserving neither reward nor punishment, since the choice isn't theirs but God's.

And here it is: blecchh! All that "godliness" and zero clue about fairness and justice. You can keep him.
If God gave you the gift of discernment and faith, then everything would make sense and you wouldn't be misunderstanding what happened in the case of Lot and his daughters.
I do NOT misunderstand what happened between Lot and his daughters. You do. (And by the way, remember these are the same daughters Lot offered to the men of Sodom, to do with as they pleased. And it must not be forgotten that those same daughters were already engaged! (Gen 19:14))

The daughters were not in the least convinced that Sodom and Gomorrah was world-wide, nor is there any such suggestion in the Bible. In fact, Lot first fled to another town, Zoar, which was not destroyed. He only removed to the mountain because he was "afraid to stay in Zoar." (Gen 19:30), so they knew full-well that the destruction was local only to S&G. They were concerned only that Lot would have no male heirs to carry on his name (Gen 19:31).

So perhaps it's you from whom God withheld the ability to understand.