• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does The Bible Contain Errors And Contradictions

Colt

The Holy Bible has been the worlds best selling book, in every generation since the printing press was invented many centuries ago.

Many Historians have studied the 66 books of the Bible, and compared them to secular contemporaries, to see if they could find any contradiction or errors. Most of those who set out to find faults with the Bible, became devout Christians instead. Because they found no faults of contradictions.

It's no different today, many sceptics set out to debunk the Bible and end up becoming believers instead. The vast majority converted to Christianity after finding that all 66 books are reliable, historical documents.

The 66 books of the Bible were written by 36 unrelated authors from various parts of the world over a period of 2,500 years, yet none of the accounts contradict each other. But the main reason so many became believers is due to the 356 prophecies which were fulfilled in Jesus Christ. The whole Bible is about Jesus Christ. God's Prophets foretold of His coming into the world thousands of years before He came.

There is a list in the link, showing every one of the 356 prophecies and their fulfilment. This is well worth a look, as it provides irrefutable evidence that the Bible is a reliable historical document. No other historical figure ever came close to changing the world forever as Jesus Christ did.

Yes, the Bible is full of errors and contradictions as well as inaccurate historical claims. The problem is that some of the Bible is true.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, the Bible is full of errors and contradictions as well as inaccurate historical claims. The problem is that some of the Bible is true.
That's only a problem for those who believe by faith and go to the Bible for answers. I get my answers using a method that rejects insufficiently justified claims, so that's not a problem here.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Thank you for confirming everything God said about His enemies. God said He hides the truth from the proud and reveals it to the humble. He delights in putting the wise guys to shame by the foolish things of the world. He said, they will diligently seek but I will hide it form them.
Prove it.
Truth and wisdom are not something one can learn about in a text book, God must give it to the person or they will never find it. God said, "the things of God are foolishness to those who are perishing". This means it's impossible for the natural man to know the truth, he is condemned to live in darkness and he will be tossed around by every false doctrine, like a boat on a stormy sea without a rudder.
Prove it.
Everything God predicted in the Bible has either come to pass or is yet to happen, so it is 100% accurate and there's no chance anyone will escape Gods judgement. Everyone will be judged according to their relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, everyone either knows Him as their friend or enemy. He will cast all of His enemies into the lake of fire, where the torment is eternal.
Prove it.
Everyone one is created to worship, whether you believe it or not. We all either worship and serve God or the god of this world "Mammon". Nobody can opt out of serving one of these two, those who deny that they serve either are serving Mammon by default.
Prove it.
I can't share spiritual things with you, unless God opens your spiritual eyes. Until then they will remain foolishness to you.
Prove it.
God doesn't get upset when unbelievers reject His warning, as they will be severely punished for their disobedience He would only be upset if they escaped His justice, but that's not possible so all is well.
This entire post is just flat out preaching. It's basically a sermon.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
John 20:1, “Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb.

It doesn't seem to me that John is claiming that marry went by "herself".....the text doest say that she went alone

If I tell you that Joe had lunch in McDonald's yesterday....... Am I saying that Joe went to McDonald's by himself? (Not necessarily)

John 20:2, “So she ran and came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, ‘They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.

In this text John is implying that there where other people apart from marry (note the We) if marry would have been alone she would have said "I" not "we"

So it doesn't seem to be a contradiction to me.....mentioning one person doest necesarry implies that there was only one person.

The phrase
"Joe whent to McDonalds " doesn't becesary implies that he went by himself

"Joe saw his friend Ted at McDonalds " doesnt necesairly implies tha ted was the only person that joe saw, nor that there where no other people at McDonalds

"JOE talk to Ted" doesn't implies that Joe only talked to Ted during his lunch time

In other words
If person 1 claims "Joe whent to McDonalds",

And person 2 says
Joe whent to McDonalds with his wife, ......

nobody would call this a contradiction....we all understand that authors ted to omit details hay are considered irrelevant for the purpose of the story.
Creative approach. It reminds me of the Monty Python skit about the "first" version of Michelangelo's Last Supper ("the Bible doesn't say that there wasn't a kangaroo or a mariachi band there!")

I'm not sure your approach works for other details of the story, though: most of the Gospels describe the women telling some number of other disciples, but Mark explicitly says "they said nothing to anyone."

Last edited:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I never said any such foolish thing. I said God is not fair according to human standards.
Which are the only standards we have to go on. So God is unfair.
You agree that the heart of all humans is wicked above all things, God said it.
Nonsense. Do you think babies and young children have "wicked hearts?" What a horrid view of humanity.

So I was pointing out the fact that wicked men make bad judges, they falsely accuse God of being evil and they call evil good and good evil.
Has the penny dropped yet?
How did you determine that God is the good one and Satan is the evil one? Let me guess, because "God said so?"

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
My proof is God Himself,
Cool. Where is he?
I only ever cite His Word as evidence to support the facts that I claim.
How do you know you're citing "His Word?"
So our clash is due to the fact that you don't believe in God and therefore you don't accept the evidence you asked for.
You've not provided any evidence. Just bare claims. As we can see from this very post where you say that "my proof is God Himself" which doesn't make any sense.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I was born with a sin nature, which was bent towards wickedness, just as every other person is.
Prove it.
I continued to sink deeper and deeper into depravity as I grew, just as every other natural man does.
Speak for yourself.
The only difference, is God regenerated me and gave me a new nature which completely changed me, from being a carnal man to a spiritual man. As a result I no longer live to serve sin and Satan, as the all people in their natural state do.
Prove it.
I have been fully transformed and this transformation continues to change me, until I ultimately become like God Himself. Man was created in the image of God, but man lost that image when Adam sinned against God and became enslaved to sin and Satan.
And here it is ... your God complex emerges.
What God did by regenerating me, is to transform me back to His image. That's why Jesus said "I have come to redeem that which was lost", meaning that He came to fix the "sin" problem which separates us from God, once and for all.
Why did he create the "sin problem" in the first place?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
May I remind you of the fact that, I have shown you mountains of evidence and proof. The problem here is, God said you can't show spiritual things to a spiritually blind person. so there's no problem with my evidence, the problem is with your inability to see the evidence.
No you have not. You have made empty claims and then ran away when people offered to discuss them. You do not even seem to understand what is and what is not evidence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, I know you refuted the 100's of prophecies. The only problem with that is, that you used the oldest trick in the book to refute the evidence. That being the old "subjective circular reasoning", which can be used to refute any facts as long as the victim takes the kool aid first.
Now please, you cannot just claim "circular reasoning". Circular reasoning is your sin. You try to use the Bible to prove the Bible. You also do not understand the scientific method which was formed to take explanations out of the circular reasoning realm.

By your silly standards I did refute your claim. In fact I did better than you did. All you did was to make a claim with a link to a bogus site. You did not support any of the supposed prophecies. By the way, quote mined verses are not prophecies. You need to be specific when you make a prophecy since almost any book can be quote mined in that fashion. By that standard I can say that the Bible refutes God's existence since about a dozen times or more, not just the one verse that you are familiar with it says "There is no God". Quote mining is not an honest way to argue. Don't do it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, I know you refuted the 100's of prophecies.
I often hear Christians refer to these "hundreds" of prophecies. The fact that you all can't even agree on exactly how many there are should be your first clue that there is a problem here.

Jews see relatively few prophecies. How is it that Christians "see" so many more? It is directly related to the differences of importance of the Messiah in each respective religion.

While the idea of a messiah does originally come from Judaism, it is not central. We have no motivation to "find" a gazillion prophecies about the messiah.

But to Christians, the messiah is THE core of their religion. And because it permeates their thoughts, their tendency is to assume that it permeates scripture. They are therefore primed to "see" prophecies where none exist. The New Testament quotes prophecy out of context (i.e. Hosea 11:1, which is about Israel, not the messiah), misquotes prophecy (i.e. Isaiah 7:14 which is rightly translated young maiden, not virgin), and even makes up prophecy out of whole cloth (such as Matthew 2:23, He shall be called a Nazarene aka someone from the city of Nazareth.) But even more stunning is the development of this irrational idea that somehow things that are not at all related to the messiah are somehow "shadows" about Jesus.

If I could give you an analogy, it is similar to when people find bunnies and castles in the clouds, or see the Virgin Mary in the random patterns in tiles.

If you wear glasses that have "Jesus" etched in the lenses, you are going to see Jesus everywhere you look.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If I could give you an analogy, it is similar to when people find bunnies and castles in the clouds, or see the Virgin Mary in the random patterns in tiles.

If you wear glasses that have "Jesus" etched in the lenses, you are going to see Jesus everywhere you look.
I never heard it put that way but that aptly describes the average Christian to whom everything in the Bible is about Jesus...
Problem is, not everything in the Bible is about Jesus and most of the OT is not about Jesus, especially not the prophecies that refer to the end times messiah.