• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does source of our semantics come from our deep connection with reality itself?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Is it a valuable observation? Or not, please?

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Source of our semantics?

Semantics is the study of meaning in language, logic and semiotics.

What do you see as being its source?

How do you know that there is a deep connection between us and reality itself?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Have you been reading George Lakoff?
It was a new information for me. I am not a scholar, I am just an ordinary man in the street.
Thanks for giving us the information please.

Regards
"Lakoff has also claimed that we should remain agnostic about whether math is somehow wrapped up with the very nature of the universe. Early in 2001 Lakoff told the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS): "Mathematics may or may not be out there in the world, but there's no way that we scientifically could possibly tell." This is because the structures of scientific knowledge are not "out there" but rather in our brains, based on the details of our anatomy. Therefore, we cannot "tell" that mathematics is "out there" without relying on conceptual metaphors rooted in our biology. This claim bothers those who believe that there really is a way we could "tell". The falsifiability of this claim is perhaps the central problem in the cognitive science of mathematics, a field that attempts to establish a foundation ontology based on the human cognitive and scientific process."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lakoff

sealchan

It was a new information for me. I am not a scholar, I am just an ordinary man in the street.
Thanks for giving us the information please.

Regards
"Lakoff has also claimed that we should remain agnostic about whether math is somehow wrapped up with the very nature of the universe. Early in 2001 Lakoff told the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS): "Mathematics may or may not be out there in the world, but there's no way that we scientifically could possibly tell." This is because the structures of scientific knowledge are not "out there" but rather in our brains, based on the details of our anatomy. Therefore, we cannot "tell" that mathematics is "out there" without relying on conceptual metaphors rooted in our biology. This claim bothers those who believe that there really is a way we could "tell". The falsifiability of this claim is perhaps the central problem in the cognitive science of mathematics, a field that attempts to establish a foundation ontology based on the human cognitive and scientific process."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Lakoff

There is a YouTube video of a presentation Lakoff did where he reviewed decades of work in cognitive science focusing on the origin of our language. He described the following determinations:

Syllables in words originate from sounds which relate to physical characteristics of experience
Concepts have metaphorical references which are rooted in bodily experience of itself and the physical world
World views are "frames" which a set of conceptual metaphors which people use to determine what the truth is

So I recognized in your OP a deep truth that cognitive science is helping to uncover.

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
Probably everything that exists derives from the events occurring previously, and from the laws of nature. So in a sense, everything is an expression of the attributes and nature of the universe.

But these subsequent events we experience moment by moment were not planned or preordained from the beginning. They happened based on the conditions around them and the random quantum mechanics wave function collapse.

So, the possibility of language (I assume that's what you mean by semantics) was inherent in the universe itself, but it's only by chance that it developed exactly as it did.