• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Satan have power? How much power does Satan have?

Does Satan have power?

• Lucifer has power, but Satan does not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Satan is another god with lesser power

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

74x12

Does Satan have power?

How much power does Satan have?

What kind of belief do you have, or not, regarding Satan.
I don't like to say satan has a lot of power, but in effect he does because people give it to him. Too many people underestimate satan so I say it. In effect he has a lot of power and should be taken seriously. Even by Christians or whatever you think you are; still take him seriously. The Bible itself says to be vigilant because your adversary goes about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.

Don't ever believe satan/lucifer/thedevil. Don't put any stock in what he says. He may tell the truth but he always will mix in deception somewhere.

Starbuck

In the Torah Satan is not a physical being ruling the underworld. In Hebrew Satan means an adversary. Satan is therefore more an illusory obstacle in one’s way - such as temptation and evil doings. The things which prevent world order. The intangible and tangible temptations which occur. Satan is not a specific being that carries around a pitchfork. Thus Satan (not necessarily an entity) has great power.

Christianity gets more specific and says Satan is an evil doer who is the opposite of God and causes evil things. We know that is contradictory given the concept God supposedly created Satan. God being omnipotent would have know Satan is evil thus he created evil or allowed evil to happen. Satan tends to go around the merry go round in Christianity. He is extremely powerful and then not in other places. He's an scapegoat for God's mess ups and definition varies from Christian to Christian. But he still has great power within temptation its just less clear because Christianity makes him more defined

Islam name for Satan is Iblees or Shaitaan (Satan). He is a being from amongst the Jinn, a species separate to the Angels, Humans and Animals. When Allah created Adam he commanded his crew to bow before him and Iblees refused to bow. He was thus kicked off the island. He's also the boogyman of Islam but tends to play a more stable role evil given Allah doesn't have the Jesus love everybody thrown in. Still has a lot of power.

But according all of their doctrine God is more powerful than Satan. Yet Satan is more powerful than men and women without God. Those without God will give or are giving into the power of Satan.

Some of my thoughts

There is much symbolism in him being the snake. Of course the snake is very powerful as it represents the double helix of the life which is DNA. He also tells humans to take knowledge instead of ignorant bliss. Letting them know with knowledge they can become Gods themselves. Knowledge is power and to ignore reality is to delude yourself. Letting humanity know they can eventually become powerful beings. A snake also represents the alignment of Chakras which create higher consciousness through meditation and other activities. Thus the expanding of the Cobra head is symbolic of the expanding mind leading to becoming more powerful beings.

I believe Satan is not of a Abrahamic creation and is instead one of the Old Gods. The origins of which being in the far east. Satnam and "Sa Ta Na Ma" are sacred mantras used in kundalini (serpent) meditation. The five primal sounds in Ancient Sanskrit, one of the oldest known languages are "SA-TA-NA-MA." "Sa" means infinity; Ta means life; Na means death; and Ma means rebirth. All variations of the name "SATAN" mean TRUTH in Sanskrit, which is one of the world's oldest and most ancient of languages. His ultimate goal is to bring the masses knowledge and power.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Does Satan have power?

Since satan is an angel and angels are described in the Bible as "powerful", I believe that satan is also powerful....but not more powerful than God, and he is not permitted to exercise his power without restraint.

When you see what he was able to do with Job, (and that was with restraints put on him by God) it is clear that satan has the ability to cause disease and even death. In this world he is god and ruler to many. (2 Corinthians 4:3-4) The state of the world reflects his invasive, immoral and destructive influence. (1 John 5:19)
He takes natural inclinations and corrupts them.

JW's believe that the devil was once an obedient and faithful servant of God who was placed in the Garden of Eden as a guardian.

"You were in Eʹden, the garden of God.
You were adorned with every precious stone.....
And their settings and mountings were made of gold.

They were prepared on the day you were created.
14 I assigned you as the anointed covering cherub.
You were on the holy mountain of God, and you walked about among fiery stones.

15 You were faultless in your ways from the day you were created
Until unrighteousness was found in you......
You became filled with violence, and you began to sin.

So I will cast you out as profane from the mountain of God and destroy you,
O covering cherub, away from the stones of fire.

17 Your heart became haughty because of your beauty.
You corrupted your wisdom because of your own glorious splendor."
(Ezekiel 28:13-17)

Observing these lower creatures who had a similar intelligence to his own, he began to desire their worship by becoming a god to them....and he plotted a way to get what he desired, and God responded with a long term plan to fix everything that got 'broken' as a result of his interference, whist retaining the gift of free will.

Instead of executing the rebels, God used satan and his influence on others to test out the desire of both angels and humans to see if love and loyalty to their Creator (within reasonable limits) could win out over the freedom to do as they please.

This whole issue is about the beneficial use of free will as opposed to the detrimental effects of using free will to dominate others. Every harmful action of humans against one another is the result of the abuse of free will when you think about it.

We were not designed to exercise our will over others.....that kind of power corrupts all intelligent creatures, which is why God set limits on its use originally. Freedom was granted only within the parameters set by our Maker. To step outside those parameters was an invitation to disaster....to which our history attests.

When the lesson is over, and humans and angels have made their choices, all will go back to the original purpose of God in the beginning......Genesis 1:28. Only those who are prepared to "do the will of the Father" will be there to enjoy the rest of forever. (Matthew 7:13-14; 21-23)

That is how we see things.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The Bible itself says to be vigilant because your adversary goes about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.

Don't ever believe satan/lucifer/thedevil. Don't put any stock in what he says. He may tell the truth but he always will mix in deception somewhere.

The most effective weapon in any warfare is to "know your enemy". It is never easy to spot a good con artist and those who fall victim had their trust hijacked by someone who pretended to be a friend but who was in effect an enemy.

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 ...."And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works."

Satan likes nothing better than to pose as an "angel of light" and to have his "ministers" pose as "ministers of righteousness"......the deception is not obvious to all. So don't just listen to what they say...look at what they do.

Look at the kind of people they associate with and the works they do. When God is backing something, it doesn't fail. Popularity has never been a good guide in seeking the things of God....satan will never allow Christ's true disciples to have 'good press'. :(

74x12

The most effective weapon in any warfare is to "know your enemy". It is never easy to spot a good con artist and those who fall victim had their trust hijacked by someone who pretended to be a friend but who was in effect an enemy.

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 ...."And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing extraordinary if his ministers also keep disguising themselves as ministers of righteousness. But their end will be according to their works."

Satan likes nothing better than to pose as an "angel of light" and to have his "ministers" pose as "ministers of righteousness"......the deception is not obvious to all. So don't just listen to what they say...look at what they do.

Look at the kind of people they associate with and the works they do. When God is backing something, it doesn't fail. Popularity has never been a good guide in seeking the things of God....satan will never allow Christ's true disciples to have 'good press'. :(
Very good points. Yes Satan does like to appear good. This is seen in the name "lucifer" which he does use. The name means "light bearer".

Everyone expects the devil to look evil and ugly. He actually can appear very beautiful.

The "tares" he sows among the wheat are his ministers posing as true Christians. However they have no good fruit. No head of grain.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Does Satan have power?

Satan is the judeo-Christian version of the Prince of Darkness. The PoD is a very real force within the cosmos at leads equal in power to the god of light, if not more powerful. The PoD is responsible for that part of you that feels separate from everything else, that can step outside situations and reason about them, to question the very nature of your existence.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Very good points. Yes Satan does like to appear good. This is seen in the name "lucifer" which he does use. The name means "light bearer".

Everyone expects the devil to look evil and ugly. He actually can appear very beautiful.

The "tares" he sows among the wheat are his ministers posing as true Christians. However they have no good fruit. No head of grain.
Lucifer has nothing to do with the Abrahamic faiths, he is NOT the Satan found in the Abrahamic myths. He is not mentioned in the Christian bible, but the word 'Lucifer' is used adjectivally as a title.

Lucifer is a pre-Judeo-Christian Roman deity personifying the Morning Star of Phoenician/Canaan cosmology. He is mentioned in Publius Ovidius Naso's "Metamorphoses", which was written in 8 B.C.E., the Roman poet Virgil mentions him as far back as 29 B.C.E. And the first mention is from Timaeus by Plato in 360 B.C.E. The title Lucifer was used for the Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar as well as Jesus himself. This title, however, is directly associated with the Morning Star which as previously mentioned appears earlier in Phoenician/Canaan cosmology.

The Hebrew translation had the word Helel in the place of Lucifer, and it was St. Jerome who replaced the word Helel with Lucifer. Helel means ‘shining one’. In 382 AD, Pope Damasus I commissioned St. Jerome to write a revision of the old Latin translation of the Bible. This task was completed sometime during the 5th century AD, and eventually, it was considered the official and definite Latin version of the Bible according to the Roman Catholic church. By the 13th century, it was considered the versio vulgate – the common translation.

Isaiah 14:12 according to the Vulgate translation:
"Et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem : cui benefacitis attendentes quasi lucernæ lucenti in caliginoso donec dies elucescat, et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestries"

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
<...>

"Et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem : cui benefacitis attendentes quasi lucernæ lucenti in caliginoso donec dies elucescat, et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestries"
Actually, that is 2 Peter 1:19. Isaiah 14:12 is as follows:
"quomodo cecidisti de caelo lucifer qui mane oriebaris corruisti in terram qui vulnerabas gentes."

Enlil

Allah's servant
Does Satan have power?

I believe that there is an Eternal King of Light opposed by a semi-eternal King of Darkness. Satan is one of the names of the King of Darkness. I believe that the King of Darkness has a lot of power, over his Kingdom (the Kingdom of Darkness), out of which the material world was created.

74x12

Lucifer has nothing to do with the Abrahamic faiths, he is NOT the Satan found in the Abrahamic myths. He is not mentioned in the Christian bible, but the word 'Lucifer' is used adjectivally as a title.

Lucifer is a pre-Judeo-Christian Roman deity personifying the Morning Star of Phoenician/Canaan cosmology. He is mentioned in Publius Ovidius Naso's "Metamorphoses", which was written in 8 B.C.E., the Roman poet Virgil mentions him as far back as 29 B.C.E. And the first mention is from Timaeus by Plato in 360 B.C.E. The title Lucifer was used for the Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar as well as Jesus himself. This title, however, is directly associated with the Morning Star which as previously mentioned appears earlier in Phoenician/Canaan cosmology.

The Hebrew translation had the word Helel in the place of Lucifer, and it was St. Jerome who replaced the word Helel with Lucifer. Helel means ‘shining one’. In 382 AD, Pope Damasus I commissioned St. Jerome to write a revision of the old Latin translation of the Bible. This task was completed sometime during the 5th century AD, and eventually, it was considered the official and definite Latin version of the Bible according to the Roman Catholic church. By the 13th century, it was considered the versio vulgate – the common translation.

Lucifer is just a Latin name for the planet Venus and I knew that already. It means light bearer. That's why I said Satan uses that name. I did not say that Lucifer was in fact his name. Satan uses many names. Lucifer is one of the main ones though. I know you're Luciferian; so you won't believe me. As most luciferians do not hold that view. They believe Lucifer is a higher god.

But, the symbolism there is obvious with the serpent in the garden tempting Adam and Eve to eat of the forbidden fruit of knowledge. This is satan supposedly bringing light.

Still I'm just saying he is satan (prince of darkness) and at the same time he is lucifer(light bearer).

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Lucifer is just a Latin name for the planet Venus and I knew that already. It means light bearer. That's why I said Satan uses that name. I did not say that Lucifer was in fact his name. Satan uses many names. Lucifer is one of the main ones though. I know you're Luciferian; so you won't believe me. As most luciferians do not hold that view. They believe Lucifer is a higher god.

But, the symbolism there is obvious with the serpent in the garden tempting Adam and Eve to eat of the forbidden fruit of knowledge. This is satan supposedly bringing light.

Still I'm just saying he is satan (prince of darkness) and at the same time he is lucifer(light bearer).
You obviously didn't read anything I posted.

crossfire

Premium Member

Revelation 22:16
16 “I, Jesus, have sent My angel to attest these things to you for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright Morning Star.
2 Peter 1:19
19 So we have the prophetic word strongly confirmed. You will do well to pay attention to it, as to a lamp shining in a dismal place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member

The kind of people they associate with can be misleading--Jesus associated with tax collectors and sinners. They are the ones who need the help.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The kind of people they associate with can be misleading--Jesus associated with tax collectors and sinners. They are the ones who need the help.

You do understand that Jesus was sent only to "the lost sheep of the house of Israel" (Matthew 15:24).....and yes, it was not to fraternize with those who were sinners, but to call them to repentance.

Luke 5:3--32..."At this the Pharisees and their scribes began murmuring to his disciples, saying: “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 In reply Jesus said to them: “Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but those who are ill do. 32 I have come to call, not righteous people, but sinners to repentance.”

When he was not preaching, Jesus kept close company with those who believed that he was the Messiah and who accepted his teachings and were working to change their ways.