• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does polytheism have any advantages over monotheism?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think monotheism is the natural position.

Nonsense, animism is the natural position. If monotheism was the natural one, there would have been a major incidence within tribes around the world, but we find major incidence on animism instead.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What is a "natural" position?

*stands up from chair* Is this a natural position?
*sits back down* How about this?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I don't get you. Please elaborate.

What don`t you get?

I am saying that animism is the natural position. As in, a position we adopt naturaly.

If the problem is that you don`t know what animism is you can google it :p , but if the problem is another one, please tell me what don`t you get and I`ll try to be clearer :)

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure that a judgement can be made in regards to mono vs poly because religions in either group do not need to have the same rules or beliefs. One monotheistic religion may have more advantages over a particular polytheistic religion while another polytheistic religion may have more advantages than a particular monotheistic religion.

The question is too broad to provide a real answer imo.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that ignorance and confusion is the natural position of human, who in his frustration chooses to seek knowledge. This involves a development of discovery and understanding that starts with animism, followed by polytheism and ending with monistic monotheism.

PS: I'm referring to the evolution of religion, not everyone's individual experience.

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I'm not sure that a judgement can be made in regards to mono vs poly because religions in either group do not need to have the same rules or beliefs. One monotheistic religion may have more advantages over a particular polytheistic religion while another polytheistic religion may have more advantages than a particular monotheistic religion.

The question is too broad to provide a real answer imo.

Hummm... maybe that is right. We would need to define advantages at least (not to say for starters)

Are advantages being percieved as you feel better? as you will be more socially accepted? as you are in the "right" belief?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I think that ignorance and confusion is the natural position of human, who in his frustration chooses to seek knowledge. This involves a development of discovery and understanding that starts with animism, followed by polytheism and ending with monistic monotheism.

I think to seek knowledge, rather than confusion is the merit-able position of a human being. One who seeks knowledge would get it from several sources; Word of Revelation from the creator God could be one of the best available to one, in my opinion.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think to seek knowledge, rather than confusion is the merit-able position of a human being. One who seeks knowledge would get it from several sources; Word of Revelation from the creator God could be one of the best available to one, in my opinion.

The Bhagavad Gita is my favourite.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes, very clearly.

The same is true for many other religions in the world; they were monotheists in their origin.

Jesus was a monotheist; he never believed in any Trinity; but Christians became trinitarian under teachings of Paul who corrupted teachings of Jesus, in my opinion.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
14.27. Indeed, I (Krishna, the God of love and grace, or the Pratyagatman the true Inner Self), am the basic support of Brahman - of the incorruptible state of Moksha, of the Eternal Law and of unending Bliss.

Chapter X

19. Behold, O best of the Kurus! I shall declare unto you what My divine self-manifestations are; but I shall mention only the chief of them. For, there is no end to their details.
20. O Arjuna! I am the Self residing in the heart of every being. I am their beginning, their life-span, and their end.
21. Of the twelve Adityas (suns), I am Vishnu; among the luminaries I am the radiant sun; among the seven Maruts (winds) I am Marichi; and of the Nakshatras (asterisms), I am the moon.
22. Of the Vedas, I am the Sama Veda; among the Devas, I am Indra; of the senses, I am the mind; and in living beings, I am intelligence.
23. Of the eleven Rudras, I am Shankara; among the Demigods and Titans, I am Kubera; of the eight Vasus, I am Agni; among mountains, I am the Meru.
24. Among the priests, know me to be the chief of them - Brihaspati, the priest of the Devas, O Arjuna. Among the war-lords I am Skanda; among the water reservoirs, I am the ocean.
25. Among the great sages, I am Bhrigu; among utterances I am the mono-syllabled 'Om'; among holy offerings, I am the offering of Japa (silent repetition of Divine Names); among immovable objects, I am the mount Himalaya.
26. Among all trees, I am the holy fig-tree; among the divine sages, I am Narada; among celestial artistes, I am Chitraratha; among perfected souls, I am Kapila the sage.
27. Among horses know Me to be the nectar-born Uchchaishravas, among the lordly elephants, the white celestial elephant Airavata; and among men, persons endowed with leadership.
28. Among weapons I am the thunderbolt; among cows, Kamadhenu the celestial cow of plenty; among progenitors, Kama the god of love; and among snakes, Vasuki.
29. Among serpents I am Ananta; among water-dwellers I am Varuna; among the manes I am Aryama; and among the enforcers of law I am Yama.
30. Among Daityas I am Prahlada; among calculators I am time; among animals I am the lion; and among birds I am Garuda.
31. Among purifying agents I am the wind; among warriors I am Rama; among the fish I am the shark; and among rivers I am the Ganga.
32. O Arjuna! Of the created objects I am the beginning, middle and end; among the sciences, I am the science of the spirit; and in debaters lam the power of correct reasoning.
33. Among letters I am the letter 'A', among compound word formations I am the copulative (dvandva). I am also the never-ending Time and the all-seeing Brahma (the dispenser of the Karmas of all beings).
34. I am the all-destroying Death, and I am the origin of all that are to come too. Among virtues considered as female I am fame, fortune, speech, memory, intelligence, constancy and patience.
35. Among the Sama hymns I am the Brihatsaman (the Great Chant); among the Vedic metres, I am the Gayatri; among months, I am Margashirsha (Nov-Dec.) and among seasons, I am the flower-bearing spring.
36. I am the dicing of the deceitful, the power of the powerful and the goodness of the good. I am victory, determination and constancy too.
37. I am Vasudeva among the Vrishnis and Arjuna among the Pandavas. I am Vyasa among sages, and Ushana among the far-sighted.
38. I am the rod of chastisement in the disciplinarians; I am the wise policy in those seeking success; I am silence in the arts of secrecy; and I am wisdom in the wise.
39. Of all beings I am the seed, O Arjuna. Whatever exists in this world, living or non-living, none of them can be, if I were not.
40. O great warrior! There is no end to my divine manifestations. What I have expounded forms only a few of them by way of examples.
41. Whatever there is endowed with extraordinary glory, attractiveness and vigour, know all that to be born of a fragment of My power.

And most importantly:

42. But then, of what avail is this detailed understanding of my manifestations to you, O Arjuna! Supporting this mighty universe with but one single fragment of My self, I remain unchanged and transcendent.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Please quote some verses in this connection.

Every single Hindu scripture reinforces this teaching of One Original Being, Creator of everything that is. Here are some examples:

Filled with Brahman are the things we see,
Filled with Brahman are the things we see not,
From out of Brahman floweth all that is:
From Brahman all–yet is he still the same. - Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

The Lord, who is the controller of all energies, thus creates, by His own potency, eternal time, the fate of all living entities, and their particular nature, for which they were created, and He again merges them independently. - Srimad Bhagavatam

I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who know this perfectly engage in My devotional service and worship Me with all their hearts. - Bhagavad Gita

Although I am the maintainer of all living entities, and although I am everywhere, still My Self is the very source of creation - Bhagavad Gita

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Every single Hindu scripture reinforces this teaching of One Original Being, Creator of everything that is. Here are some examples:

Filled with Brahman are the things we see,
Filled with Brahman are the things we see not,
From out of Brahman floweth all that is:
From Brahman all–yet is he still the same. - Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

The Lord, who is the controller of all energies, thus creates, by His own potency, eternal time, the fate of all living entities, and their particular nature, for which they were created, and He again merges them independently. - Srimad Bhagavatam

I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who know this perfectly engage in My devotional service and worship Me with all their hearts. - Bhagavad Gita

Although I am the maintainer of all living entities, and although I am everywhere, still My Self is the very source of creation - Bhagavad Gita

Thanks

But a Hindu priest is also called Brahman!?