• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does my religion count as Theistic Satanism or is it more general Syncretic?

Zarnol

Hi everyone!

I'm Christened as a Catholic, I believe in God and the Holy Trinity, many of my views match that of the Catholic Church, but there are some differences, for example the degree in which I interpret the Bible literally is more strict.

But, while I believe in the worldview laid down by the Abrahamic spiritual tradition and in God, I don't follow God, because I don't agree with his views.

I believe in magic, that by occult rituals incorporating the forces of Nature, sacrifices, and invoking demonic powers one can affect the world in supernatural ways.

I regularily attend Mass, because I find it interesting, and I can be together with a group of people who believe in Abrahamic Spiritualism, not Secular Materialism, even if we are on opposing sides. Just like how Voldemort in Harry Potter likes the company of Wizards more than Muggles, despite there being only a minority of Wizards who agree with his views. But during Mass, I don't pray to God, I don't touch Holy Water, and I don't confess.

I know that I'm serving Evil and not Good, and my home after death will be Hell. I hope to find a magical means to immortality or becoming a demon before I die.

Are there people who have similar views? What do you think about my religion and how would you categorize it?

I think witches in Medieval Europe held similar views. After all they were Catholics to some degree, seeing the rarity of other religions and Atheism in that time and place, but even if they believed in God, they didn't serve him, instead they worshipped natural forces and demons, and this practice gave them magical powers.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Whilst we wait for more knowledgeable people to comment, you should know that those who tinker with magic have no share of the hereafter., but you already know this. When you find a Demon who promises eternal life come back and I'll prove it is lying to you. Very easy to do, just be prepared for it to get very mad at you.

And they followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Solomon. It was not Solomon who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic and that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Harut and Marut. But the two angels do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]." And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew. Qur'an 2:102

It is impossible for you to become a Demon, even after death.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Hello and welcome to RF. :)

Hi everyone!

I'm Christened as a Catholic, I believe in God and the Holy Trinity, many of my views match that of the Catholic Church, but there are some differences, for example the degree in which I interpret the Bible literally is more strict.

But, while I believe in the worldview laid down by the Abrahamic spiritual tradition and in God, I don't follow God, because I don't agree with his views.

I believe in magic, that by occult rituals incorporating the forces of Nature, sacrifices, and invoking demonic powers one can affect the world in supernatural ways.

I regularily attend Mass, because I find it interesting, and I can be together with a group of people who believe in Abrahamic Spiritualism, not Secular Materialism, even if we are on opposing sides. Just like how Voldemort in Harry Potter likes the company of Wizards more than Muggles, despite there being only a minority of Wizards who agree with his views. But during Mass, I don't pray to God, I don't touch Holy Water, and I don't confess.

I know that I'm serving Evil and not Good, and my home after death will be Hell. I hope to find a magical means to immortality or becoming a demon before I die.

Are there people who have similar views? What do you think about my religion and how would you categorize it?

I think witches in Medieval Europe held similar views. After all they were Catholics to some degree, seeing the rarity of other religions and Atheism in that time and place, but even if they believed in God, they didn't serve him, instead they worshipped natural forces and demons, and this practice gave them magical powers.

Hm, well it's not traditional theistic Satanism from my understanding, but there's not really a wrong way to be a Satanist, as long as you believe the name to be relavent to your life positively or neutrally. Even my own brand is unique, it doesn't fit into theism or atheism neatly. I don't believe in literal gods in the sense of them being their own person, but I believe that gods exist to represent otherwise unnamed energies, that overlap and are fluent natural forces.

Evil, in my mind, isn't a binary thing determined my the Christians or other Abrahamic religions. Evil is what harms you. That'll be different for everyone. Usually Satanism isn't evil or good. It embraces that there is both and isn't concerned about which it is.

Magic, in my experience, is from Will alone. Worship isn't necessary to have magic. I myself don't worship but devote or acknowledge. I have done magic successfully with this belief. A Satanist will see what is right for themselves in ritual practice, and incorporate it in some way.

However I can't tell you what to believe. If you think you're a Satanist, then I'm not going to say otherwise. If not, that's also fine. It's up to you. But if you want to ask me questions, I'll do my best to answer them, if you see it beneficial for your choice.

Hi everyone!

So, you're like a 'michelle remembers' sort of Satanist. Say, aren't you supposed to not exist?

Liu

Welcome to RF!

There will be many Satanists who wouldn't consider this a kind of Satanism.
It's what's normally referred to as Inverse Christianity.

Most theistic Satanists don't believe in the Christian cosmology and theology. That's because there are certain values common among us, including rational thought and skepticism, which make us question the truth of these religious dogmas.

However, nevertheless your spiritual goals (i.e. immortality) are very in line with the LHP. That's rather rare among Inverse Christians I think.

Why do you believe in the Abrahamic worldview, if I may ask?

EDIT: @Satans_Serrated_Edge Oh, I think they do exist, they are just shunned, and most grow out of it quickly.

Zarnol

Why do you believe in the Abrahamic worldview, if I may ask?

I was brought up as a Catholic. I first tried to become a run of the mill, general goody-two-shoes Christian, but while my relatives and people I have known from Church seemed to enjoy this kind of religious ideology, it brought me only confusion, boredom, general disenjoyment, and the sense that this is somehow not for me.

After seeing horror movies, playing Diablo II as a Necromancer, and role-playing in World of Warcraft as a Warlock, I increasingly became interested in all the things that are generally deemed Evil in Abrahamic religions.

Then came a phase lasting for years, when I dabbled with Atheism. I was initially overjoyed with this 'rebellion against God', but became increasingly disenchanted with Atheism's strictly Materialist and Science-focused worldview.

I eventually realized that I'm not a Skeptic, nor a budding scientist. I didn't reject Christianity because it was against common sense, the Enlightenment, or the Scientific Method. I rejected it because I didn't agree with God's ideology. My problem was not the supernatural, or whether Satan literally turned into a snake to tempt Eve, or whether Noah's Ark really happened. My problem was that I didn't derive pleasure from the lifestyle prescribed by God.

Since I was brought up in the Abrahamic worldview it is the one that I know the best and find the most believeable from all spiritual traditions. I decided to get re-acquainted with the Catholic Church to a degree, start attending Mass again and start studying the Bible to re-develop my spirituality, all the while accepting not God, but Satan as my master, while acknowledging the existence of God.

I also started dabbling in the occult, and the Western magical tradition, and I'm more and more likely to believe that humans don't have inherent magical powers. (E.g. no matter how hard you concentrate you won't fire a fireball from your hand.) Instead, magic surely exists, but it's a highly ceremonial thing where you channel the power given by Nature and demons through yourself.

Last edited:

Liu

I was brought up as a Catholic. I first tried to become a run of the mill, general goody-two-shoes Christian, but while my relatives and people I have known from Church seemed to enjoy this kind of religious ideology, it brought me only confusion, boredom, general disenjoyment, and the sense that this is somehow not for me.

After seeing horror movies, playing Diablo II as a Necromancer, and role-playing in World of Warcraft as a Warlock, I increasingly became interested in all the things that are generally deemed Evil in Abrahamic religions.

Then came a phase lasting for years, when I dabbled with Atheism. I was initially overjoyed with this 'rebellion against God', but became increasingly disenchanted with Atheism's strictly Materialist and Science-focused worldview.

I eventually realized that I'm not a Skeptic, nor a budding scientist. I didn't reject Christianity because it was against common sense, the Enlightenment, or the Scientific Method. I rejected it because I didn't agree with God's ideology. My problem was not the supernatural, or whether Satan literally turned into a snake to tempt Eve, or whether Noah's Ark really happened. My problem was that I didn't derive pleasure from the lifestyle prescribed by God.

Since I was brought up in the Abrahamic worldview it is the one that I know the best and find the most believeable from all spiritual traditions. I decided to get re-acquainted with the Catholic Church to a degree, start attending Mass again and start studying the Bible to re-develop my spirituality, all the while accepting not God, but Satan as my master, while acknowledging the existence of God.

I also started dabbling in the occult, and the Western magical tradition, and I'm more and more likely to believe that humans don't have inherent magical powers. (E.g. no matter how hard you concentrate you won't fire a fireball from your hand.) Instead, magic surely exists, but it's a highly ceremonial thing where you channel the power given by Nature and demons through yourself.
Thanks for the details.
It's a bit hard for me to understand how one can worship the bringer of knowledge and not be skeptic about how the bible can be true. But to each their own.
It's common among Satanists to not adopt an existing traditional worldview but to develop one's own. But if you are content with what you find in Christianity, so be it.

Regarding magick, I'm agnostic, but what I heard/read so far about other people's experiences rather seems to imply that if magick exists it's also something humans can do on their own. Just not the fireball kind of magick, more the adjusting one's luck or getting information otherwise unavailable kind.

Ya, there probably won't be many old geezers here like me that remember the 80s enough to get that one.

Thanks for making me feel dated.
I did get it, I just took it to be meant metaphorically (i.e. I was referring to those who are not literally abusing children but have a theology that would encourage it).

VioletVortex

It sounds like a very strange form of Theistic Satanism, but it is certainly Theistic Satanism. More like an inversion of Christianity than the Paganized or deistic versions of Satanism.

Zarnol

I did some research online and I found that there is a kind of Theistic Satanism called "Christian-based duotheism". My beliefs sound similar to this.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I did some research online and I found that there is a kind of Theistic Satanism called "Christian-based duotheism". My beliefs sound similar to this.

I guess to me it isn't Satanism, but just overtly-blasphemed Christianity. Christian-based duo-theism is just a nice way of saying you're a Christian, but you picked the red team. I consider myself theistic, but do not believe in Jehovah, Christ, or anything else in the "book of mythology" called The Bible. At the very least, the first fundamental problem is that you'd have to trust what your opposition wrote and I have no reason to do so. I prefer learn from my own experiences rather than trust some dusty old tomes.

Mrpasserby

Do not just Believe 'Become', I am Sufficient.
Satanism has been frequently misrepresented as “devil worship”, when in fact it constitutes a clear rejection of all forms of worship as a desirable component of the personality.” I don't practice Satanism but after being treated like a mushroom-(kept in the dark and fed manure), for decades by the 'christian religions', it refreshing to hear the truth. :)

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Satanism has been frequently misrepresented as “devil worship”, when in fact it constitutes a clear rejection of all forms of worship as a desirable component of the personality.” I don't practice Satanism but after being treated like a mushroom-(kept in the dark and fed manure), for decades by the 'christian religions', it refreshing to hear the truth. :)

Satanism is a complicated subject, but I think that quote summarizes one of the primary concepts any real Satanism embraces. Theistic Satanism itself then seems to be a contradictory term at first glance... But, I'd say the only viable theistic expression is the earnest type of admiration or respect akin the type of reverence common to the Buddhist for Buddha. I find no reason to worship Satan as Christians do, but revere him as an honored brother or great ancestor. I view him as an inspiration, and attempt to live 100% sin-free. (A sin isn't something that offends God, but rather something you think offends God. :D)

Zarnol

I think the real dichotomy in our times is set not between various religions, but between Religiosity and Secularism, between Spiritualism and Materialism.

What draws me to the Abrahamic worldview and traditional forms of Christianity like Catholicism, is the importance it places on preserving pre-modern traditions, and a spirituality based not on rationality, but on devotion, worship, and rituals.

Look at this video, for example:

Although I "picked the red team" as @Mindmaster put it, I consider Christians honorable opponents rather than outright enemies.

Liu

I won't hold this laziness against you that you looked no further when you already found what you wanted in the religion you were born into.

But I doubt becoming immortal before dying is that easy that simply praying will do it.

And devotion, worship and rituals can be found in other religions as well, including non-Christian kinds of Satanism.

Many theistic Satanists say they don't worship, but I see nothing wrong with it if it's what you want to do, and I can totally relate to it if you say you enjoy it.
I mean, it is a bit paradoxical if one believes oneself to be a manifestation of the divine and then worships that divine, or another manifestation of it. But it's all in good fun :)

Mrpasserby

Do not just Believe 'Become', I am Sufficient.
'But I doubt becoming immortal before dying is that easy that simply praying will do it.'
@Liu,
Well said Liu, you just pinpointed the carrot (becoming immortal), that christians hold to the noses of their parishioners.
One of my my friendly enemies once said, 'there are no free lunches'. :)

Vitriol2508

So, you believe the Bible to be the literal word of God. Therefore, you are accepting that you're following the Prince of Liars, who is gonna get tanked by Jesus and then thrown into a lake of fire, along with your good self. Unless you're a troll you're literally asking to be tortured forever. I'm kinky, but I ain't that kinky

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So, you believe the Bible to be the literal word of God. Therefore, you are accepting that you're following the Prince of Liars, who is gonna get tanked by Jesus and then thrown into a lake of fire, along with your good self. Unless you're a troll you're literally asking to be tortured forever. I'm kinky, but I ain't that kinky
This thread died 3 years ago and the OP hasn't been here since.