• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does it really matter what people believe?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I wonder about this a lot. If people lead a good life and follow what Jesus taught, does it really matter if they believe in Jesus or in God?

As a Baha’i, I believe it matters if people recognize Baha’u’llah, because otherwise Baha’u’llah would not have enjoined us to proclaim that He has come, but why does it matter if people recognize Him, as long as they lead a moral life and follow His teachings? What’s the big deal if they do not follow the Baha’i laws? If they are living by the teachings as I see most people on this forum are doing, why does it matter what they believe? Why does it matter if they adhere to another religion or no religion at all? Why does it matter if they believe in God? What difference is it going to make what religion they adhere to or if they adhere to any religion at all or believe in God?

I once posted this on a Baha’i forum and no Baha’is were able to answer my question, so that is one reason why I am posting it here. If Baha’is believe it matters so much that people of other religions or no religion become Baha’is, I want to know why they think it matters.

Of course I also want to know if other people think it matters what people believe. For example, if Christians believe it matters that people believe in Jesus, why does it matter?

I have my own ideas why I think it matters what people believe. I believe it matters that people know what reality is, the purpose for which they were created and where they will spend eternity.

Do you think it matters if people know what reality is, the purpose for their existence and what will happen after they die?

If there is no afterlife, I do not think it matters that much what people believe as long as they follow the teachings of Jesus and live a good life, caring about other people and all living creatures and the environment. But will it matter what they believed in this life if there is an afterlife? That is the hundred-dollar question. I am sure some people will disagree, but I do not think this question is answered definitively in any scriptures.

In the Writings of Baha’u’llah we are told the destiny of a believer, but He does not specify what religion they believed in, and it leaves the destiny of everyone else wide open.

“They that are the followers of the one true God shall, the moment they depart out of this life, experience such joy and gladness as would be impossible to describe...” Gleanings, p. 171

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.” Gleanings, p. 345

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
There's so many different stories plus the human imagination. So it's difficult to find the right things to believe in. Plus we are born not knowing anything!

I find it a challenge and a mystery to find the right beliefs about things.

Who's intuition can we trust? It seems possible to infer so many different things about reality.

And yet reality is what it is, and it isn't any other way!

I'd love to believe most everything you have quoted me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
As a person who follows Hinduism... I sure hope there isn't a "one true belief" in Hinduism that mandates whether people have a good life, good karma or a good afterlife... because all of us followers of Hinduism might be in trouble. :D:D:D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There's so many different stories plus the human imagination. So it's difficult to find the right things to believe in. Plus we are born not knowing anything!

I find it a challenge and a mystery to find the right beliefs about things.

Who's intuition can we trust? It seems possible to infer so many different things about reality.
You are right in both counts. It is a challenge, and that just reminded me of what Baha'u'llah wrote about souls seeking the truth and not being able to know where to find it, and how that happens whenever there is a new Revelation from God.

“What “oppression” is greater than that which hath been recounted? What “oppression” is more grievous than that a soul seeking the truth, and wishing to attain unto the knowledge of God, should know not where to go for it and from whom to seek it? For opinions have sorely differed, and the ways unto the attainment of God have multiplied. This “oppression” is the essential feature of every Revelation. Unless it cometh to pass, the Sun of Truth will not be made manifest. For the break of the morn of divine guidance must needs follow the darkness of the night of error. For this reason, in all chronicles and traditions reference hath been made unto these things, namely that iniquity shall cover the surface of the earth and darkness shall envelop mankind. As the traditions referred to are well known, and as the purpose of this servant is to be brief, He will refrain from quoting the text of these traditions.” The Kitab-i-Iqan, pp. 31-32
And yet reality is what it is, and it isn't any other way!
That's right, and since we can see the physical reality it is not difficult to determine what it is, it is the spiritual reality that is difficult to determine since it rests on beliefs, and there are so many different beliefs, so we would have to have some kind of criteria for deciding which ones to look at more closely.
I'd love for you to believe it too, but I realize it is not as easy as wanting it, but I think motivation might be half the battle. Then comes investigation followed by knowledge.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
As a person who follows Hinduism... I sure hope there isn't a "one true belief" in Hinduism that mandates whether people have a good life, good karma or a good afterlife... because all of us followers of Hinduism might be in trouble. :D:D:D
Personally, I don't think there is, but I am not God, so I do not make that determination. ;)

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
I wonder about this a lot. If people lead a good life and follow what Jesus taught, does it really matter if they believe in Jesus or in God?

I can't make that call for you or anyone else. I view Jesus as an escape hatch for those without hope, and God as the architect of Life.

pexels-patricia-mccarty-1769691.jpg

Photo by Patricia McCarty from Pexels

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If there is no afterlife, I do not think it matters that much what people believe as long as they follow the teachings of Jesus and live a good life, caring about other people and all living creatures and the environment. But will it matter what they believed in this life if there is an afterlife? That is the hundred-dollar question. I am sure some people will disagree, but I do not think this question is answered definitively in any scriptures.
I completely agree it doesn't matter how one finds they need to conceptualize God. What matters is they try. All our ideas are ridiculous anyway when it comes to God. What matters is the sincerity of the heart, the desire of the soul, and the commitment to that path, whatever shape or form that takes.

I think what matters about what we believe in this life, is if we think we are going to find God through trying to capture him in our beliefs. That's a bit of a fools errand, a distraction to keep us from finding the Divine. We want to approach God in terms we can handle, just tell us the formula, the right gestures, the correct prayer, the right way to pray, which prophet to believe in, etc. All of that really is a distraction. What matters is what we connect to, what we realize here and now, in the present in this world.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can't make that call for you or anyone else. I view Jesus as an escape hatch for those without hope, and God as the architect of Life.
I can certainly understand why you would say that because Christians believe that Jesus is their only hope, and that is because they believe they need to be saved from original sin.

I like the teachings of Jesus but I do not believe He is our only hope, because I do not believe in original sin.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I completely agree it doesn't matter how one finds they need to conceptualize God. What matters is they try. All our ideas are ridiculous anyway when it comes to God. What matters is the sincerity of the heart, the desire of the soul, and the commitment to that path, whatever shape or form that takes.
I could not have stated that better myself. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

To me the answer is 'no'. If people live a life according the the law of love, they are automatically rewarded according to the law of love. Whether one refers to sowing & reaping or karma, it's the same - in the long run our actions have consequences according to justice.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

As a Baha’i, I believe it matters if people recognize Baha’u’llah, because otherwise Baha’u’llah would not have enjoined us to proclaim that He has come, but why does it matter if people recognize Him, as long as they lead a moral life and follow His teachings? What’s the big deal if they do not follow the Baha’i laws? If they are living by the teachings as I see most people on this forum are doing, why does it matter what they believe? Why does it matter if they adhere to another religion or no religion at all? Why does it matter if they believe in God? What difference is it going to make what religion they adhere to or if they adhere to any religion at all or believe in God?

I once posted this on a Baha’i forum and no Baha’is were able to answer my question, so that is one reason why I am posting it here. If Baha’is believe it matters so much that people of other religions or no religion become Baha’is, I want to know why they think it matters.

Of course I also want to know if other people think it matters what people believe. For example, if Christians believe it matters that people believe in Jesus, why does it matter?

I have my own ideas why I think it matters what people believe. I believe it matters that people know what reality is, the purpose for which they were created and where they will spend eternity.

Do you think it matters if people know what reality is, the purpose for their existence and what will happen after they die?

In the Writings of Baha’u’llah we are told the destiny of a believer, but He does not specify what religion they believed in, and it leaves the destiny of everyone else wide open.

“They that are the followers of the one true God shall, the moment they depart out of this life, experience such joy and gladness as would be impossible to describe...” Gleanings, p. 171

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.” Gleanings, p. 345
A spiritual or religious belief only get important to the one holding it, so should not matter what others believe. Spreading the teaching is a part of many religions especially abrahamic religions when it is said to go out to tell others.
It is free to believe in the teaching one find most compatible with 8nce own understanding and beliefs.

If a person begin telling others that my belief is better/more correct then yours. That is ego speaking, and would be best avoided.

If a person have no belief it is their own choice, believers can speak of their religion to atheists but can not force anyone to believe.
Religions that has other teachings then Jesus would not need to believe in Jesus since they would have other beings they believe in or follow.

Jesus is only one of many who has been on earth to preach spiritual teaching.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member

An essential belief such as believing or not believing in God will certainly affect our behaviors. Those who think otherwise are wrong. I won’t elaborate much here, but one can contemplate the issue to find out that this is the case. Then, there is the question of: Can the choice of believing or not believing in God be dependent on reason alone?! Or are there other factors related to who we are and what are our personal traits that influence our choice here?!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

More than the true Allah / God, it is important to follow the "latest messenger of Allah" because he has the new instructions. So basically the Iranian preacher was espousing his own cause, and not that of any Allah.

Sorry, I cannot understand proffereth, bestoweth, conferreth. Even the dictionary marks them incorrect. What silly made-up translation!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think ultimately, you cannot take your beliefs with you at the end. ;O)
Your beliefs get buried or cremated with you, and that is the end of them. :D
You are right (on both counts). So, when are you becoming a Bahai? The truth is with Bahaollah. :D
What matters is what we connect to, what we realize here and now, in the present in this world.
How you connect with divine is very important. Allah has sent his most recent instructions through Bahaollah, the Iranian preacher. You cannot connect to divine without them. What all other religions say is corrupted.
God might be waiting to help but Jesus is not God.
Why do you want to fight with Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and all other religions? Let the Christians have Jesus as their God. Don't you have that uneducated 19th Century Iranian as your messenger from Allah? No one except Bahais believes that. Every one has his/her own views. Why do you want to force your views on all? You have made a categorical statement which I think is a categorical mistake. You should have said, "Bahais do not believe Jesus to be God", but they believe Bahaollah to be the "manifestation of Allah".

Last edited: