• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Islam give Muslim men the right to beat their wives?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. I am sorry if some of the stuff I post seems bigoted or anything. It is sincerely not meant to be that way. Its just that I run across a lot of accusations against Islam online and I want to hear from actual Muslims whether or not the accusations I hear about are true. Therefore, I thank you sincerely for your responses.

So, I have run across this accusation several times before. Basically there are people both online and offline who say that Islam gives Muslim men the right to beat their wives. Is this true? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Hey everyone. I am sorry if some of the stuff I post seems bigoted or anything. It is sincerely not meant to be that way. Its just that I run across a lot of accusations against Islam online and I want to hear from actual Muslims whether or not the accusations I hear about are true. Therefore, I thank you sincerely for your responses.

So, I have run across this accusation several times before. Basically there are people both online and offline who say that Islam gives Muslim men the right to beat their wives. Is this true? Thank you in advance for your responses.

From the Qur'an:

4:34 Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

4:35 And if you fear dissension between the two, send an arbitrator from his people and an arbitrator from her people. If they both desire reconciliation, Allah will cause it between them. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Acquainted [with all things].

Taken from the site below (which is the answer to your question), this might shed some light on the issue, however, please go through the article in the link I have provided below:

In movies, for example, one often sees the following type of scene: a man and a woman love each other but in some matter the woman simply does not want to listen to the man even though she realizes deep down that he is thinking for the good of both of them. The man tries all the tender ways to bring the woman around to his point of view without any success. Frustrated, the man at last bursts into anger and gives the woman a slap. This shakes the woman out of her mood and she falls on his shoulders, with both happier than before. Of course, movies are no guide for us but sometimes they do represent human nature and life as it is.

A Commentary on The Quran, Sura 4 Verse 34 by Dr. Ahmad Shafaat

ZooGirl02

From the Qur'an:

4:34 Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

4:35 And if you fear dissension between the two, send an arbitrator from his people and an arbitrator from her people. If they both desire reconciliation, Allah will cause it between them. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Acquainted [with all things].

Taken from the site below (which is the answer to your question), this might shed some light on the issue, however, please go through the article in the link I have provided below:

In movies, for example, one often sees the following type of scene: a man and a woman love each other but in some matter the woman simply does not want to listen to the man even though she realizes deep down that he is thinking for the good of both of them. The man tries all the tender ways to bring the woman around to his point of view without any success. Frustrated, the man at last bursts into anger and gives the woman a slap. This shakes the woman out of her mood and she falls on his shoulders, with both happier than before. Of course, movies are no guide for us but sometimes they do represent human nature and life as it is.

A Commentary on The Quran, Sura 4 Verse 34 by Dr. Ahmad Shafaat

Thank you. As I was awaiting replies I also found this article from Why Islam. According to it a man may only lightly tap a woman in such cases:

Islam & Domestic Violence

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Thank you. As I was awaiting replies I also found this article from Why Islam. According to it a man may only lightly tap a woman in such cases:

Islam & Domestic Violence

Yes if you take into considerations the restrictions Islam places on 'hitting' someone then it becomes apparent that it is nothing more than a 'snap out of it' type of "beating".

Islam prohibits Muslims from hitting any living creature on it's face.
When it comes to humans it also prohibits hitting someone with any amount of force that leaves a mark such as a bruise or reddening of the area.

Moreover, in relation to this verse the hadith which say that 'the best among us are those who are the best towards their wives' must be taken into account since they speak about treatment of women.

And the verse, if you noticed, first says to advise them, then to forsake them in bed and only after the first two steps fail then this step comes in. So it is in cases where the wife seeks to be disobedient for a number of days if not weeks when this type of action must be taken.

ZooGirl02

Yes if you take into considerations the restrictions Islam places on 'hitting' someone then it becomes apparent that it is nothing more than a 'snap out of it' type of "beating".

Islam prohibits Muslims from hitting any living creature on it's face.
When it comes to humans it also prohibits hitting someone with any amount of force that leaves a mark such as a bruise or reddening of the area.

Moreover, in relation to this verse the hadith which say that 'the best among us are those who are the best towards their wives' must be taken into account since they speak about treatment of women.

And the verse, if you noticed, first says to advise them, then to forsake them in bed and only after the first two steps fail then this step comes in. So it is in cases where the wife seeks to be disobedient for a number of days if not weeks when this type of action must be taken.

I wouldn't really call that a beating then but more of light slap.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
I wouldn't really call that a beating then but more of light slap.

Yes that is correct. However, those who don't wish to see it that way distort the message from what it really is. Hence, your questions in the matter due to the false allegations you have come across.

ZooGirl02

Yes that is correct. However, those who don't wish to see it that way distort the message from what it really is. Hence, your questions in the matter due to the false allegations you have come across.

Ah okay. Well thank you for explaining it Gharib.

I would like to ask one more related question. Do the more strict versions of Islam such as the kind generally practiced in Saudi Arabia have a different view on this or do all "versions" of Islam have pretty much the same view?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Ah okay. Well thank you for explaining it Gharib.

I would like to ask one more related question. Do the more strict versions of Islam such as the kind generally practiced in Saudi Arabia have a different view on this or do all "versions" of Islam have pretty much the same view?

Islam is one, it is the same as it was revealed and nothing has changed from it. However, people do misinterpret it and separate themselves from the main body of Muslims and come up with labels in order to be identified.

But as regards to how Saudi's view this subject, it is the same as what I have posted above.

The link below will lead you to a Saudi Scholar run website which has answered the same question in the same way as the link above and they have also used the views of the early scholars:

If a woman rebels against her husband and disobeys his commands, then he should follow this method of admonishing her, forsaking her in bed and hitting her. Hitting is subject to the condition that it should not be harsh or cause injury. Al-Hasan al-Basri said: this means that it should not cause pain.

‘Ata’ said: I said to Ibn ‘Abbaas, what is the kind of hitting that is not harsh? He said, Hitting with a siwaak and the like. [A siwaak is a small stick or twig used for cleaning the teeth - Translator]

The purpose behind this is not to hurt or humiliate the woman, rather it is intended to make her realize that she has transgressed against her husband’s rights, and that her husband has the right to set her straight and discipline her.

And Allaah knows best.

To read the full article: Islam Question and Answer - Hitting one

ZooGirl02

Islam is one, it is the same as it was revealed and nothing has changed from it. However, people do misinterpret it and separate themselves from the main body of Muslims and come up with labels in order to be identified.

But as regards to how Saudi's view this subject, it is the same as what I have posted above.

The link below will lead you to a Saudi Scholar run website which has answered the same question in the same way as the link above and they have also used the views of the early scholars:

If a woman rebels against her husband and disobeys his commands, then he should follow this method of admonishing her, forsaking her in bed and hitting her. Hitting is subject to the condition that it should not be harsh or cause injury. Al-Hasan al-Basri said: this means that it should not cause pain.

‘Ata’ said: I said to Ibn ‘Abbaas, what is the kind of hitting that is not harsh? He said, Hitting with a siwaak and the like. [A siwaak is a small stick or twig used for cleaning the teeth - Translator]

The purpose behind this is not to hurt or humiliate the woman, rather it is intended to make her realize that she has transgressed against her husband’s rights, and that her husband has the right to set her straight and discipline her.

And Allaah knows best.

To read the full article: Islam Question and Answer - Hitting one

Thank you. That is an interesting answer. :)

seeking4truth

If Muslims followed Islam and the example of the Holy Prophet correctly then there would not be any occasion to need to 'beat' anyone.

I think it is very responsible for Islam to deal with this matter. While there is a lot of criticism because this subject is covered in the Holy Quran the rest of the world, in all cultures and religions has incidents of beating and suppression of women.
Even in the so called enlightened 'west' where women are legally equal to men the reality on the ground is that they do not get equal access to everything they want and abuse of women is a regular occurrence.
It seems that there is a need in men to dominate women and I wonder whether this caused by some weakness or lack in those that do so.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Seeking4truth.

How about next time you try to answer the question and if it is answered, which it is, don't add unnecessary posts to the thread nor blame other cultures for their faults.

And your first sentence isn't true because even the Prophet had at least one recorded incident with his wives. It wasn't about beating them or oppressing them in any way, but it wasn't exactly a perfect occasion which you claim would not exist.

I am sorry if my words seem harsh but I don't like it when we blame others when instead we need to clarify our own way of life to other people.

If the question has been answered then there is no need to add anything else nor blame other societies over their faults.

Union

It is not true . Please hit the following link :

Ssainhu's triumph on explaining verse 4:34

Sahar

Really?!! Wow, I love happy endings...she doesn't listen to him, he gets angry, slaps her then they live happily ever after!!! Seriously Gharib, what is this?!

Sakeenah

Really?!! Wow, I love happy endings...she doesn't listen to him, he gets angry, slaps her then they live happily ever after!!! Seriously Gharib, what is this?!

I was thinking the same thing ..I think he means he gets angry,slaps her, she shows him her karate moves then they live happily ever after

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

Sister that's from the link I provided. I think you may have misunderstood.

It isn't to show that that's how it works in Islam, it is to show that it is not a beating as it is portrayed but instead it is a light strike as explained in that link and the other one below it. The article is aimed at an ignorant Islamic (like myself) and non-Islamic audience and what better way to understand than to use a movie scene.

He's not saying that that's how it works in Islam. He's giving an example of why the Qur'an permits the husband to "beat" his wife.

I could be wrong, but I seriously think you have misunderstood.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
what is the position in Islam if the wife beats the husband for being unfaithful or other cause.

If by unfaithful you mean to cheat on her then the punishment for those who are married and commit adultery is death.

In another case, if the husband has drunk alcohol and goes home drunk, the wife may report him and have him punished for it.

From Islam QA:

With regard to the punishment of the drinker in this world, the punishment is flogging, according to the consensus of the fuqaha’, because of the report narrated by Muslim (3281) from Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him), who said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) flogged the one who had drunk wine with palm branches stripped of their leaves and with shoes.

But there is some difference of opinion as to the number of lashes. The majority of scholars are of the view that it is eighty lashes for a free man and forty for others.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
-- Mod Post --

This is the Islam DIR. Please adhere to the forum Rules; in particular, Rule 10:

10. Discuss Individual Religions Forums/Same Faith Debates/"Only Sections"
The DIR subforums are for the express use for discussion by that specific group. They are not to be used for debate by anyone. People of other groups or faiths may post respectful questions to increase their understanding. Questions of a rhetorical or argumentative nature or that counter the beliefs of that DIR are not permitted. DIR areas are not to be used as cover to bash others outside the faith. The DIR forums are strictly moderated and posts are subject to editing or removal.

-For any DIR or discussion sub-forum that is colored blue, non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts.

Some posts have been deleted to keep the civility and avoid debates. Please create a debate thread if you wish to debate. Do not do it here. Further attempts to debate in this thread puts the poster at risk of punitive action from the staff. You have been warned.

-- End of Mod Post --

what is the position in Islam if the wife beats the husband for being unfaithful or other cause.

Generally speaking, the wife is not encouraged to hit the husband regardless of anything. The reason is, that the husband (due to physical strength) in his anger could really hurt the wife, even cripple her without intention.

If the husband mistreats the wife or does something wrong, she's asked to go to the Qadi (judge), who then, under controlled environments can discipline the husband.

Recently a Saudi man got 30 lashes, 10 days in jail and a learning course on how to treat your wife - the reason? Because he slapped his wife. http://m.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/sau...d-for-slapping-wife-in-saudi-arabia-1.1192906

I personally thought it was a bit harsh, but then again, the face is always off limits (because you can disfigure someone unintentionally), and it does give a strong message to would-be wife beaters.

Last edited: