• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Illogic Logically Exist?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Does illogic logically exist?
Does falsehood truly exist?
Does imperfection exist perfectly?
Does nothing exist in actuality?
Do two wrongs make a right? or a left?
If everyone else was jumping off of a high cliff, would you follow suit?

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk

Yes, but it doesn't make any sense so nobody understands it.

Everybody says it does, but I know they're all lying.

Yes, but to demonstrate this, you would have to come visit my apartment and let me show you what a perfect wreck it is most of the time.

Everything exists in actuality. Even those things which aren't actual. Except when unrealistic models progress to a point of actualization, then they cease to exist.

Two wrongs make a meat fork. Oh, wait, that's 'two prongs'. Nevermind.

That depends on what is at the bottom, or upon who is chasing me. For example, if 'everyone else' in this scenario happens to be the Tennessee Titans cheerleaders and we're all jumping naked into a giant pool of strawberry jello, then, Yes, by all means, I am certainly up for the plunge.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Why do you park in the driveway and drive on the parkway?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Are dreams real?
If you keep turning left, will you eventually get dizzy?
If I saw Elvis in a mini-mall, would that mean he did not die 33 years ago?
What would happen if I found out I didn't really exist?
What would happen if I found out that I am the only one who exists?
:D

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
In a way, yes. Illogic does logically exists by the distinction between valid forms of logic and invalid forms. Since invalid logic forms from misunderstanding or misapplication of logical structure, illogic logically does exist.

For example:

Valid logic: If A then B
Valid Logic - contrapositive: If not B, then Not A

Invalid Logic - Converse: If B then A
Invalid Logic - Inverse: Not A then Not B

wmjbyatt

Lunatic from birth

That depends on your definitions... If you're asking if things that defy logic can be logically demonstrated, then the answer is "kind of." The Banach-Tarski Paradox is a true paradox derived mathematically from accepted axioms. Does that count? Frankly, I'd say not.

But what is illogical? Paraconsistent Logics, for example, are formal logical systems that allow certain (but not all) contradictions to be true. Are assertions that can be derived in these systems (but not, for example, classical Predicate Logic) illogical? I say no, they're just part of a different system.

The problem with this is that "logic" isn't ONE THING. A "logic" is a system of reasoning, and multiple logics have been developed. These logics have different rules, and some have completely different functions and domains.

Now, if we end the last bit of the question and ask "does the illogical exist?" we have to get into weird ideas about existence. Personally, I argue that what we call "existence" is simply the positive space of reality, and I don't see any reason to assume that the negative space is any less real than the positive space. Just as art can utilize and build upon the negative space, just as the pauses can be powerful in music, the empty space in reality is real, palpable, and important.

Again, we have to be clear about what we mean. If you're asking whether or not there are false statements, then the answer is "of course," so long as we accept that there are true statements. If, on the other hand, you're asking if the not-true has a positive existence in some non-this domain, I say it's feasible, by the same argument presented about negative space above.

Probably.

Now we're just getting confusing, so I think it's time to question the most important word in all of the above questions. What does it mean to "exist"? I personally like Bertrand Russell's take on the matter. "Existence" is not a predicate, it is not a quality which something has. A table does not have the quality of existence, rather it is IN existence. Existence can be understood as a space, a background upon which the real rests. In this understanding, all things exist, just some find their location in the existence-space with a little "negation" asterisk besides them.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Hmm... maybe it's like the Uncertainty Principle. When one tries to answer the question addressing existence, the answer about the qualifer goes unaddressed. And vice-versa.

Tathagata

Freethinker

There's no such thing as "logically exist." Either something exists or it doesn't. Yes, there are notions, ideas, and actions that are illogical.

Yes. Just because it is true that falsehoods exist, doesn't mean there is a paradox (as it seems to be implied). Falsehoods do truly exist (though "truly exist" is a redundant statement).

Something either exists or it doesn't; there is no "exist perfectly."

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist

My new religion dictates that none of this really matters. Just put on some Coldplay, hug somebody you love, and enjoy life.

dust1n

Zindīq

Yes.

Only as an abstraction of human phenomenon.

I don't even know what this means.

Only as an abstraction of human phenomenon.

If you made two wrong turns, it could potentially lead you right or left.

No, but I would start looting public property since everyone is jumping off cliffs.