• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God still regret us?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I don't think "since we don't know the reason why a god would want to keep kangaroos in Australia, its irrational to believe the flood happened" is such a great argument.

But regardless, I remain strongly committed to Orthodox Judaism.

Do you remain strongly committed to Orthodox Judaism because of cultural reasons, or rational ones? And does doubting the actual occurence of a global flood, automatically entails you losing your orthodox judaism member card?

Just to make my question more explicit: if you felt deep inside, and nobody can see that, that the evidence that there never was a global flood is overwhelming, what would you do?

Ciao

- viole

Tumah

Veteran Member
Do you remain strongly committed to Orthodox Judaism because of cultural reasons, or rational ones?
I'd like to say they're rational, certainly not cultural.

And does doubting the actual occurence of a global flood, automatically entails you losing your orthodox judaism member card?
Yes.

Just to make my question more explicit: if you felt deep inside, and nobody can see that, that the evidence that there never was a global flood is overwhelming, what would you do?
I would believe that there is missing information on the side of the science.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'd like to say they're rational, certainly not cultural.

Yes.

I would believe that there is missing information on the side of the science.

That was not my question. The scientific stuff is settled.

I asked what if you deep inside realize that there might not have been a global flood.

Ciao

- viole

Tumah

Veteran Member

I asked what if you deep inside realize that there might not have been a global flood.

Ciao

- viole
No, that's what I'm saying. I wouldn't have such a realization.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
You have to go back to this post.

Yes, I understood what you said then, but I disagree.

You include time as a factor, but to God there is no such thing as time.

Adam hides NOW. The floodwaters are NOW. Sodom is destroyed NOW.

Humanity failed (and fails), and only for the sake of the righteous is consequence of that regret held in abeyance.

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE

Ciao

- viole

What makes you think it had to be global? The flood only needed to destroy man's world, the earth that he inhabited. Polar bears and kangaroos were not on the ark, because they weren't in the world of man, not yet.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What makes you think it had to be global? The flood only needed to destroy man's world, the earth that he inhabited. Polar bears and kangaroos were not on the ark, because they weren't in the world of man, not yet.

What makes me think it had to be global? The Bible. And the creationists. It is obvious that there never was a global flood.

Anyway, then why did He not simply zap men clean out of existence? He seems to make things overly complicated. Maybe He likes drama. A drama King. :)

Ciao

- viole

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
What makes me think it had to be global? The Bible. And the creationists. It is obvious that there never was a global flood.

Anyway, then why did He not simply zap men clean out of existence? He seems to make things overly complicated. Maybe He likes drama. A drama King. :)

Ciao

- viole

I'm pretty sure 'global' isn't in Genesis.
I doubt they knew the world was even a globe, back then.
To them, the world was flat and probably only a tenth as large, if even that.
It would only be as big as the furthest anyone had ever traveled, right?
A big enough catastrophe would be their entire world, for all they knew.

Now, God prefers to use natural means to achieve his goals.
Look at the plagues of Egypt in Exodus. Many are explainable.
Only the last one, the death of the firstborn, is obviously supernatural. 'Zap'.

really?

Heaven and Hell coexist during our life and we move back and forth from one to the other dependant upon God's judgement. Physical body dies and we cease to exist. I currently exist alive in Hell and pray daily to be restored to Heaven. Hopefully I will get it right next time around if I get the chance. I suspect we are given many chances. I had an amazing experience during sleep years ago. Angels visited me in my bedroom, asked me THE question, and I replied flippantly with sarcasm-Poof! they were gone and I was awake-hair standing on end, street light flared, tv tried to turn on. Hell ever since. The instrument of my torture appears to be favored by God which is odd since Satan seems more likely-perhaps it is Satan?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure 'global' isn't in Genesis.
I doubt they knew the world was even a globe, back then.
To them, the world was flat and probably only a tenth as large, if even that.
It would only be as big as the furthest anyone had ever traveled, right?
A big enough catastrophe would be their entire world, for all they knew.

Mmh, yes. So, for you the Bible describes what they knew?

Now, God prefers to use natural means to achieve his goals.
Look at the plagues of Egypt in Exodus. Many are explainable.
Only the last one, the death of the firstborn, is obviously supernatural. 'Zap'.

Obviously. Only God can kill kids with such precision.

Ciao

- viole