• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God still regret us?

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
Gen. 6: The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

I think yes.

Pudding

Gen. 6: The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

I think yes.
I don't have the belief that either God exists or doesn't exist.
I'm discussing this topic hypothetically.

Why do you think God still regret creating humans?

Edit: By humans, you're referring to all humans ever live on earth without any exception?

Last edited:

Shem Ben Noah

INACTIVE
...Why do you think God still regret us?

For starters, because in the time of Abraham he still wanted to wipe us out (only us, not the animals this time around, with fire not water) and it was only because of Abraham that he did not. So at that time, he still did regret us.

Pudding

For starters, because in the time of Abraham he still wanted to wipe us out (only us, not the animals this time around, with fire not water) and it was only because of Abraham that he did not. So at that time, he still did regret us.
That time? So you're not asking whether or not God currently still regret creating humans?

Do you believe God is omniscience and before he start create humans he already know that in the future he'll regret for creating humans?

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think yes.

Well, if nothing else, at least this refutes any notions that God is "perfect" or "all-knowing." It also calls into question any thoughts of God's "divine plan" when passages like this indicate that He's just making things up as He goes along. A lot of people claim that religion gives their lives "purpose," but what purpose? Here, God is implying that He didn't even have a purpose, that He operates purely on whimsy and frivolity, indicating an inconsistent and unstable personality type.

God may still regret us, although it seems that He could have intervened or interceded at any time. He could have given more hands-on guidance and management before it got to the point where He felt he had to wipe everyone out. How many catastrophes have humans had to endure? How many wars and atrocities have humans suffered through? How many diseases and famines have we endured? How many acts of evil and utter human depravity have been recorded throughout history? How many billions of people have gotten down on their knees and prayed and begged for God's guidance and help during dark times, only to be ignored and left abandoned?

It seems rather disingenuous of God to come down and say "you all suck" when so many have tried to reach out to Him and beg Him for guidance and to help improve our species and the world in which we live. If God has any cause for regret, it's His own apathy and indifference. Every time someone prays to God for help and is ignored, God is contributing to the growth of evil on the planet. Think of how many "evil" people might have been changed and put on a different path with just a few minor tweaks earlier in life.

So, yes, God can regret all He wants. And yes, humans probably do suck due to various design flaws in how we came about. God's work. All humans have ever tried to do is play the hand they've been dealt in this barely-livable environment that God has created. The fact that we've been able to survive, thrive, and progress as we have under such conditions should be considered a resounding success in God's eyes.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
"Those who live by the sword will die by the sword." In the story of Noah a world is filled with violent people. Noah is the only nonviolent person left anywhere. Our situation is much better. I'm sure we have more than one.

Rational Agnostic

I think yes.

Why would "God" be so fickle?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I find no tangible and evident reason to conclude that the Gods regret humanity any more or less than any other creature on this Earth.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
He only did it once. Who knows why.

He did it with Sadaam, a lot of killings for land for the chosen people, the Moses incident. He did a lot of killing for the sake of the righteous prophets. Instead of killing sinners and leaving one, just kill them all. God was going to kill all people in Sadaam at first. He had a change of heart.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Stop taking this story literally and being dismissive of its central message which is: "Do not be violent."

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
He still plans to wipe us out again so I guess so, or at least he will regret making us again someday.

According to my understanding the humble meek will inherit the Earth. No wipe out of righteous ones according to Matthew 25:31-33,37. The executional words from Jesus' mouth will only be against the wicked according to Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16. There will be those who ' remain' according to Proverbs 2:21-22.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think yes.

To me, God regretted how wicked and violent they became - Genesis 6:11, but God did Not regret Noah - Genesis 6:8.
If God had Not brought the Flood then No one righteous (Noah) would be left on Earth.
God's ' day of judgement ' is to clear things up and make things better to the point that righteous mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the healing of earth's nations according to Revelation 22:.
The purpose of the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14 is to rid the earth of the wicked - Psalms 92:7.
The great crowd of people will come through that tribulation right into calendar Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth for they are the righteous ones of Matthew 25:31-33,37.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
My question would be why god would need to keep starting over. Sounds silly after awhile. He should have killed Noah as well and started completely over.

I find that God could Not start over again because according to Genesis 1:28 God purposed that we are all to be descendants from father Adam and mother Eve. Because Noah was a 'righteous' man, and the figurative humble ' sheep'-like ones are going to be counted as 'righteous' ones according to Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Then, just as Jesus' promised the humble meek will inherit the Earth ( which includes Noah, Abel and others via a resurrection back to happy-and-healthy physical life on Earth).

sovietchild

I think yes.

What? Regretted? I thought the pen has been lifted and the ink has dried.

sovietchild

I thought all the disasters and tribulations that happen on earth were known to The Creator before they happened. Millions of years before we even were created.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I find that God could Not start over again because according to Genesis 1:28 God purposed that we are all to be descendants from father Adam and mother Eve. Because Noah was a 'righteous' man, and the figurative humble ' sheep'-like ones are going to be counted as 'righteous' ones according to Matthew 25:31-33,37.
Then, just as Jesus' promised the humble meek will inherit the Earth ( which includes Noah, Abel and others via a resurrection back to happy-and-healthy physical life on Earth).

He should have started over, though. I'm sure god isn't limited to the words in a book. I'm sure he can rewrite the book, right?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Stop taking this story literally and being dismissive of its central message which is: "Do not be violent."
So what stories are to be taken literally and which are not? And what is the criterion for deciding?

Last edited: