• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God pick favorites?

Ardaakata

Regardless of who you are. There is absolutely no reason for you to think you are closer to God then any other human being that existed on Earth. If you are a believer in God and worship him, why do you believe you are getting "blessings" from him because of your performance. If God picked favorites and gave more "blessings" to the people who follow and obey him then every human will acquire these "blessings" only for the reason is because of worshiping God. Unfortunately there is strong evidence that is not the case. There are billions of people praying to God every second of the day. Out of those billions of people, how many gets their prayers answered? For example, how many people asks of God to heal their sick loved ones? If every single one of those prayers does not work and peoples loved ones die and some did get their answered and their loved ones healed, what does that mean? Is God picking favorites? Or God does not manipulate any persons life and let natural variables decide. Here is my point. I think humans are selfish and delusional and here is why. People actually believe their way of worshiping the SAME God is superior and the right way compared to any other way. People actually believe they are more special to God then anyone else. There are people on this Earth who believe God takes away his time from anyone else and invest it in to you because you think you are serving him the right way. The ONLY way. This should be classified as a mental sickness and be treated accordingly. We will not advance as a species if this way of thinking does not end. People with this illness are a cancer to our civilization. I personally think this mindset is the ROOT of artificial ugliness in this life, such as, poverty, violence, greed, and etc. I believe it is our duty as human beings to stop this cancerous mindset. I will have no hope or faith in any religion that promotes this.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
...Interesting first post.

My gods have so few worshipers nowadays (even in their prime the numbers were relatively few) that I guess I don't really have this problem.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I am not too sure "people" really expect blessings from god or anything like that. Ever read the story about Job?

Ardaakata

I am not too sure "people" really expect blessings from god or anything like that. Ever read the story about Job?
My personal experiences with people I know think they get text messages from God and God blesses them everyday. Regardless of their performance. And no I have not.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Aren't the Jews God's chosen tribe? Didn't God assist them in war?
Doesn't the Bible teach that only a few are predestined for salvation?

idav

Being
Premium Member
My personal experiences with people I know think they get text messages from God and God blesses them everyday. Regardless of their performance. And no I have not.
Text messages from God, isn't that something.

In the story of Job in the bible, God allows Satan to ruin his life, and Job was Gods favorite.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God so favored Elisha that when some kids mocked his baldness, God had a couple of bears come out of the woods and kill 42 of them.

Fair and just?

Ardaakata

Text messages from God, isn't that something.

In the story of Job in the bible, God allows Satan to ruin his life, and Job was Gods favorite.
And why would he do that to Job? Prove a point that humans could not comprehend. So a follow up question is if God does pick favorites, what is the criteria for him to pick a favorite. I could not be more confused about religion and God.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Regardless of who you are. There is absolutely no reason for you to think you are closer to God then any other human being that existed on Earth. If you are a believer in God and worship him, why do you believe you are getting "blessings" from him because of your performance. If God picked favorites and gave more "blessings" to the people who follow and obey him then every human will acquire these "blessings" only for the reason is because of worshiping God. Unfortunately there is strong evidence that is not the case. There are billions of people praying to God every second of the day. Out of those billions of people, how many gets their prayers answered? For example, how many people asks of God to heal their sick loved ones? If every single one of those prayers does not work and peoples loved ones die and some did get their answered and their loved ones healed, what does that mean? Is God picking favorites? Or God does not manipulate any persons life and let natural variables decide. Here is my point. I think humans are selfish and delusional and here is why. People actually believe their way of worshiping the SAME God is superior and the right way compared to any other way. People actually believe they are more special to God then anyone else. There are people on this Earth who believe God takes away his time from anyone else and invest it in to you because you think you are serving him the right way. The ONLY way. This should be classified as a mental sickness and be treated accordingly. We will not advance as a species if this way of thinking does not end. People with this illness are a cancer to our civilization. I personally think this mindset is the ROOT of artificial ugliness in this life, such as, poverty, violence, greed, and etc. I believe it is our duty as human beings to stop this cancerous mindset. I will have no hope or faith in any religion that promotes this.
I think life is best understood as a spiritual experience and not one where the material fortunes and misfortunes have any lasting importance. God in this more progressive thinking is the animator in all of us and that at a level above our normal experiencing, we are an interconnected One. The purpose of life (beyond the quickly fading and passing physical fortunes and misfortunes) is to raise our spiritual level through peace and brotherly love to experience the bliss of the One.

I see our soul as growing for eons and not one lifetime and that these material events have their cause and purpose from a perspective we can not understand from our limited view.

Ardaakata

I think life is best understood as a spiritual experience and not one where the material fortunes and misfortunes have any lasting importance. God in this more progressive thinking is the animator in all of us and that at a level above our normal experiencing, we are an interconnected One. The purpose of life (beyond the quickly fading and passing physical fortunes and misfortunes) is to raise our spiritual level through peace and brotherly love to experience the bliss of the One.

I see our soul as growing for eons and not one lifetime and that these material events have their cause and purpose from a perspective we can not understand from our limited view.
Well put. I like that point of view. Im guessing I am having a problem getting to certian spiritual level because I am seeking for answers that no one could answer for me in this physical world. I need more wisdom. I need to read more.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well put. I like that point of view. Im guessing I am having a problem getting to certian spiritual level because I am seeking for answers that no one could answer for me in this physical world. I need more wisdom. I need to read more.
I like your open-mindedness. I personally have come to believe that the great adepts of the eastern/Indian religious tradition have progressed much farther than western religious traditions (Christianity) in understanding the reality beyond our senses. The west has reached further materially but I believe the east/India has progressed further in spiritual understanding. Your thinking in the OP is pretty logical and is based on a dualist (God and creation are two) worldview. After many years I have come to accept a non-dual (God and creation are not-two) understanding.

Good luck in your stated quest to increase your wisdom.:)