• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God exist....

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
in the "minds" of believers? I would not say a figmant of someones imaginaton. Im leaning towards psychology.

For example, the mind may create another persona to protect itself from the direct trauma he experienced as a child.

Another would replay the same events as if they are still happening because of a post tramatic condition.

Children often find solace in stuff animalz and may in a medical point of view see it as the only way for their mind to disatach oneself from the negative environment around for safety reasons.

While these are facts in instances of medical trauma, why would it not be the same (the above coping techniques by the mind) for healthy human beings who still develop them out of the minds (rather than intentional) in the need to

1 protect oneself from danger. Say find solace in conversating with someone not human if the direct danger or problem are humans themselves (over generalizing)?

2 replay the same need for help for lifes problems even though the solution can exist inside oneself if they have the ability (not choice) to do so?

3. only in specific cases, disatach oneself from this world to only associate with the world they in their minds find solace in?

Also, although these three coping techniques are not dangerous or illogical, we could accept they come from the mind not heart

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Also, it is interesting to see that if the mind is challenged, it goes into defense mode. We do this in our respective faith.

The heart is not offensive or defesive. Our true nature lives outside of preferences the mind takes up religions included.

So does God exist in the mind? Not as a figmant of ones imagination but a coping technique explained above which, in themselves, are not dangerous or illogical?

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
................Children often find solace in stuff animalz and may in a medical point of view see it as the only way for their mind to disatach oneself from the negative environment around for safety reasons.

While these are facts in instances of medical trauma, why would it not be the same (the above coping techniques by the mind) for healthy human beings who still develop them out of the minds (rather than intentional) in the need to

1 protect oneself from danger.
Say find solace in conversating with someone not human if the direct danger or problem are humans themselves (over generalizing)?

2 replay the same need for help for lifes problems even though the solution can exist inside oneself if they have the ability (not choice) to do so?

3. only in specific cases, disatach oneself from this world to only associate with the world they in their minds find solace in?

Also, although these three coping techniques are not dangerous or illogical, we could accept they come from the mind not heart

Peace be on you.
But there are revelations from God to Prophets which (apparently) send them to danger. They go and struggle and get success eventually.

God is reality Who tells about short range and long range matters.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I can see that. I would debate the prophets are human too. We could be using our respective scriptures as a child and her stuff animal. I dont see a difference in this with humans regardless the time periods.

Peace be on you.
But there are revelations from God to Prophets which (apparently) send them to danger. They go and struggle and get success eventually.

God is reality Who tells about short range and long range matters.

Edited note

Wouldnt that be the same as the god of the mind falsly sending somone to danger as someone experiencing pts who constantly does the same even though it is not true?

If God exists in the mind, and the mind can go out of its adaptive coping techniques above, say someone with war ptsd actualy kill someone long after the war is over...puting himself and the other at danger by "gods" command.

Last edited:

Deidre

That could be, Carlita.
Or we can look at nature and the beauty around us, and reason that God is everywhere in and outside of us. Not just a mere manifestation of my mind.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
That could be, Carlita.
Or we can look at nature and the beauty around us, and reason that God is everywhere in and outside of us. Not just a mere manifestation of my mind.
We could do that. I contend that to think our perceptions of reality (beautful mountains=God external existence) is true would be pushing it.

I went to therapy years ago and I asked my therapist about people hearing voices. He says a lot of people with mental health conditions (depending on the specific condition itself) hear voices. He said one patient he knew heard voices. She used to be at danger to herself. Now, she is clinically healthy "and" she still hears voices.

I found this interesting. She accepts whats in her head is not reality to others but it is reality to herself. She did objectively hear voices (MRI showed it) just as we look outside at the beautiful mountians.

I contend that God is the same way. Anything positive we have our minds will make a connection of what it "thinks" the origin is. In the ladys case, the origin was actually outside of her (reality, it was her mind); likewise the origin of God/God Himself is outside of us (reality, like voices, in our mind) both lady and believer find things that associate with their reality say the lady a note she written not in "her" handwriting and a believer who sees mountains and connects them with God.

Kinda see where im going?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I can see that. I would debate the prophets are human too......

Peace be on you....In Holy Quran Prophets are human:
[18:111] Say, ‘I am only a man like yourselves; but I have received the revelation that your God is only One God. So let him who hopes to meet his Lord do good deeds, and let him join no one in the worship of his Lord.’

They are role model for people:

[60:5] "There is a good model for you in Abraham and those with him........................"

Last edited:

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
...........Edited note

Wouldnt that be the same as the god of the mind falsly sending somone to danger as someone experiencing pts who constantly does the same even though it is not true?.......

Prophet live a life visible to everyone, it is a clean life. Moses (a.s.) standing in front of Pharaoh, Jesus (a.s.) on cross (and survived and went to Kashmir), Muhammad (s.a.w.) calling towards One God and in this age Ahmadiyya Promised Messiah Mahid (a.s.) called for swordless revival......These dangers were faced by men with whole visible lives. They did not make any thing from mind.

VERSUS

ISIS, Bokus, etc etc, their sub-human characters are quite visible too, they can cook any thing on the name of God. (as you say, god of mind).

So one can distinguish b/n pearls and stones.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Im asking about God, though. Say I am a prophet and I go through wars, its not in my mind. What Im saying is maybe God is in our mind. Like a child with his toy, a protection, and other few reasons I gave (say the healthy lady hearing voices), the experience of God could be associated with our minds need to find reason and orgin in life. To protect from danger (real) and safety. We are not insane (refering to the woman) we just following someone who is not external. Likewise hearing voices...that doesnt mean the lady is crazy. It is true by MRI she hears voices. However, those voices are her personal reality not a fact everyone else experiences aka not real.

Curious George

Veteran Member
in the "minds" of believers? I would not say a figmant of someones imaginaton. Im leaning towards psychology.

For example, the mind may create another persona to protect itself from the direct trauma he experienced as a child.

Another would replay the same events as if they are still happening because of a post tramatic condition.

Children often find solace in stuff animalz and may in a medical point of view see it as the only way for their mind to disatach oneself from the negative environment around for safety reasons.

1 protect oneself from danger. Say find solace in conversating with someone not human if the direct danger or problem are humans themselves (over generalizing)?

While I agree wholeheartedly, and believe that the concept of god or spirituality fullfills more than the few psychological needs you have listed here, I can't help but wonder if you could have come with a less patronizing analogy than a child and his/her toy."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I didnt see it as patronizing. Adults have a need for safety or healing from depression. My grandmother passed last year november and i kept her picture on my altar for a year and finally put it on the wall today. While pictures and toys are different, they both serve the same purpose of solace of the mind. I couldnt think of an "adult" example.

While I agree wholeheartedly, and believe that the concept of god or spirituality fullfills more than the few psychological needs you have listed here, I can't help but wonder if you could have come with a less patronizing analogy than a child and his/her toy."

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
If by mind you mean brain, then yes, God definitely has a presence; we know that believers generally use the "person" part of their brains when talking to God, as opposed to the "object" or "animal" parts, and experience releases of oxytocin during religious experiences such as are normally associated with social interactions.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
The 'god' inside the minds of all of us,
combined with directionality, would be unfathomable.
But that's not the case in most instances.
Even naturalality couldn't contribute to a supernatural outcome.
In some minds, other minds are evil in intent, others, kind in nature.
It's a shame that the united outcome isn't successful in creating this 'mind god'.
I doubt that this is what your going for, but it's just one of my silly thoughts.
I'll re-read and maybe give it another try....later.
I wish to all, peaceful mind gods, and avoidence of the empty ones.
~
'mud

Curious George

Veteran Member
I didnt see it as patronizing. Adults have a need for safety or healing from depression. My grandmother passed last year november and i kept her picture on my altar for a year and finally put it on the wall today. While pictures and toys are different, they both serve the same purpose of solace of the mind. I couldnt think of an "adult" example.
You don't think it patronizing to compare someone's god to their wubba? Lol. Most people will associate children with less rational, less capable, less mature, less wise and more needy when compared to adults. While this may be just another psychological trick of the ego, it is nonetheless apparent. I think the picture or memory token of a loved one serves nicely. So too do collectables (whatever one's poison may be) or hobbies. Some devote their life to work, or the care of a car, or their garden. Either way, the things and activities in which we absorb ourselves are many. All of these represent instances wherein we fulfill the psychological needs you discussed earlier. The gist of your question as I interpret it was: do we subjectively give the concept of god great importance, and consequently investing, upon this concept of god, mental existence, in order to fulfill psychological needs? To that I would say yes. However, I would suggest that those who do not do this with god, do it with some other medium. Essentially, we are all addicts trying to escape reality. :)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Most people will associate children with less rational, less capable, less mature, less wise and more needy when compared to adults.
Actually, I dont associate children like this. The younger they are, the more in tone with their true self. I find seeing children that way an insult to them and their innocent growth to learn by trial and error.

The question is, withkut refering to God as a figmant of our imagination, do you feel that the mind creates God (real lack of better words) so that our minds have purpose, meaning, safety, protection?

1. A child (rational and innocent) is in a terrible environment. Psychologically, her mind goes into safety mode by disassociating herself from the experience shes immediately in. This is normal. It is also a affect comming from her mind.

2. A lady who hears voices is clinicly sane. She is mentally and physically healthy "and" she hears voices. She is not crazy--MRI picked it up. It is her reality not what we consider sound when comparing it to the majority population. The origin of the voices are from her mind.

3. A man just came from war. He develops PTSD. He relives in his head his war experiences. They are real for him and not for others. They originate from the mind.

Question, purely theological.

Could believers in deities (Ill say God) be manestifations of the mind to

1. For safety. We do not want to feel alone. We find it hard to trust humans. We need someone greater we can trust while we are in a dangerous world of crime and suffering.

2. Sometimes when we need safety, our minds devop personas that will mirror other people to protect our trauma induced mind from shock. As a result of number one, the mind hears voices (say from "God") to bounce back comfort and solace. Strictly safety messures of the mind. No one is crazy.

3. We just came from a trauma situation. We didnt know who else to call on while in immediate danger. If we heard about God already, we may call on Him put of instinct. We replay this need for help everytime we come into trouble. God becomes our savior.

Can a healthy person develop the entity of God for the three and more reasons above into their reality (as the woman in the MRI) but not be a fact because God came from the mind not part from it?

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
To reduce 'God' to a coping technique strikes me as more than a little shallow.
It may seem that way, but it is no different than a description of love. On one hand we can say love is a coping technique. On another we can say that such a view fails to capture the whole sum. We are dealing with the concept of god, and not any actual entity here. We all live in our own subjective reality, and in that reality our mental schemes are usually designed to benefit our self. This does not mean there is not something akin to our concept of god that exists in an objective world. But, that the god that exists in many people's minds serves as a coping mechanism for them is hardly surprising. I don't think that one can say that if god exists as a coping mechanism for people that god can only exist as a coping mechanism.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
To reduce 'God' to a coping technique strikes me as more than a little shallow.
From a Buddhist, it is not. Everything we experience comes from the mind. It is not shallow and I believe one who realizes this has the mind of a Buddha. Hence, his or her believe in God would stengthened. Our hearts are not separate from what our mind and body experience.

It is a interesting observation because believers are not aliens. They have the same mental capacity as everyone else. To say what they have comes from something greater another cannot experience is extreme. No man is an island.