• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God Exist: Maybe?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
This is a question I have been thinking about quite a bit lately. This is primarily because I have been reading a lot of older arguments for the existence for or against God for a class I will be taking. Through all that I have learned, this is my take on the answer.

For me, I believe there is a god (which I personally call God). That is almost as far as it goes. I do not try to pretend that I know who God is, or even what God is. I do find it possible for God to exist though.

If God exists, it is possible that God was the catalyst for the beginning of the universe. How the universe exactly came into existence is not known. The Big Bang is a good explanation, which has a lot of support. However, where this initial energy came from is not fully known. What or if anything existed before the Big Bang is not known. There is the possibility that there have been an infinite amount of previous universes in which goes through a cycle of birth, death, and rebirth. Now, this is not an argument against the Big Bang, as it is a good theory that is supported. It is an argument for us simply not having all of the information (and maybe we never will).

That being so, it would be possible that before this last Big Bang, there was God who put everything in motion. There is also the possibility that before the first Big Bang (assuming there were many), God was the catalyst that put everything in motion. It is a possibility, and until we have more information, one can not simply rule out such a possibility (at least not scientifically).

So it is possible that God exists, or existed. It would also be possible that God was the creator as well. I am not talking about creationism though. It God was the catalyst for the universe, it is also possible that God provided the catalyst for life. The theory I personally like best about how life first originated on Earth is on the back of a meteorite. It is a theory that is becoming popular, makes sense, and does have support (on a side note, according to a new study, there would be the possibility that on another planet, life could have evolved very similar to what we have on Earth. If life did come to Earth on a meteorite, it is possible parts of that meteorite, or the origin of the meteorite also laid the same building blocks on another planet. Which I find quite interesting). It would be possible that God was the catalyst (or directed), this course of events. It does not take away from science.

But some have claimed that humans have a history of creating gods, or that they create gods in our image, to fit our needs and culture (which is a very old argument). Neither actually suggest that God does not exist though (especially since one is partially or even wholly untrue). The first objection is actually quite easy to explain if God does exist. For me, I believe in a monistic idea of God. That being, there is one God. That God, knowing that people need different things, appears in different manners. So all of these supposedly different gods really are just manifestations of the one actual God. Hinduism has a very nice concept of this.

Why God would do this is quite simple as well. People are different. People need different things. So God provides just that. It makes sense that a God would do such as what worked for someone a thousand years ago, does not necessarily work today. People and time change. Thus our understanding changes. And how we see God would change (the same is true with pretty much everything. The way we view the world around us, and science has greatly changed in just the last hundred years. A hundred years from now, it will have changed as well).

As for humans creating God to fit their culture, or what they need, that is not quite true. If we look at the Hebrews, we see quite the opposite. In fact, God is often the opposite of what their culture is. And we see this portrayed throughout the Hebrew Bible. Over and over again, we see people rejecting the Abrahamic god and taking a different god. Yet, in order to get people back to worshipping God, God did not change to conform with the culture. People had to change there ways to fit what God wanted. In that way, the culture changed in order to fit God, not the other way around.

We see this in the New Testament as well. Just looking at the numerous epistles, we see people going against what God wants. Instead of following God, they partake in their culture. God really does not fit into that culture, and thus, humans change their culture in order to fit into what God wants. So really, culture changes to fit God, not the other way around.

None of this proves or even suggests there is a God though. It only suggests a possibility, one with no actual evidence. However, the opposite also lacks evidence. Many of the arguments against God tend to focus on mythology, while not understanding what mythology is, or for claiming that Christians, or God claimed something (through the Bible), that is not true. Recently I saw the claim that theology (one can read Christians here as well) and/or God claimed that the sun revolved around the Earth (The God who wasn't There makes a similar claim at the beginning of the documentary). What is forgotten though is that it was also science that claimed the same thing. The idea came through observation. What is also forgotten is that it was also Christians also helped break that idea and provide evidence for the heliocentric view.

There is also the fact that the Bible makes erroneous claims. Many of such claims though are either taken out of context, taking something not literal as if it was meant to be literal, or simply not understanding the text. However, with that said, there are many contradictions and errors. This does not suggest God does not exist though. It simply suggests what many Christians and others realize. The Bible was written by humans. Maybe it was inspired by God, but that does not mean it will be perfect, or without error. After all, it was a man made book.

As with taking mythology literally, or simply not understanding it, that is something both theists and atheists have in common. Take the creation stories for example. They are mythology. They were not meant to be literal explanations of how the universe came into being. We can see this since there are multiple creation accounts (this is true for most ancient societies) that do not equal each other. Yet, the composer of Genesis does not seem to care that there are problems. And that is because the story was not meant to be literal. It is mythology, which helps relay "truths" (which is a very simplified explanation) They are not meant to be literal. And theists and atheists get that wrong quite a bit.

So what does this all mean then? I think it means that we simply can not know if there is a God or not. Sure, there are very intelligent people on both sides of the debate, but I think they all fail for the simple reason that they have no evidence. Both sides are based on faith, and usually blind faith.

idav

Being
Premium Member
So what does this all mean then? I think it means that we simply can not know if there is a God or not. Sure, there are very intelligent people on both sides of the debate, but I think they all fail for the simple reason that they have no evidence. Both sides are based on faith, and usually blind faith.
Yup it is faith until we have proof of where it all comes from. Atheism is a guesstimation as much as theism is. Even if it weren't created per se there is still room for a god concept, there must be a source. The question is whether the source of existence can have the attributes of anything that can qualify to hold a god label.

waitasec

Veteran Member
As for humans creating God to fit their culture, or what they need, that is not quite true. If we look at the Hebrews, we see quite the opposite. In fact, God is often the opposite of what their culture is. And we see this portrayed throughout the Hebrew Bible. Over and over again, we see people rejecting the Abrahamic god and taking a different god. Yet, in order to get people back to worshipping God, God did not change to conform with the culture. People had to change there ways to fit what God wanted. In that way, the culture changed in order to fit God, not the other way around.

i disagree.
god cultivated and condoned a misogynistic culture.

We see this in the New Testament as well. Just looking at the numerous epistles, we see people going against what God wants. Instead of following God, they partake in their culture. God really does not fit into that culture, and thus, humans change their culture in order to fit into what God wants. So really, culture changes to fit God, not the other way around.
can you provide one example please?

not that i disagree with the possibility of there being a god but about this argument, if it is one ;), that culture changes to fit god.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
For me, I believe there is a god (which I personally call God). That is almost as far as it goes. I do not try to pretend that I know who God is, or even what God is. I do find it possible for God to exist though.
If you don't know what it is, what does it mean to say it exists?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think it means that we simply can not know if there is a God or not. Sure, there are very intelligent people on both sides of the debate, but I think they all fail for the simple reason that they have no evidence. Both sides are based on faith, and usually blind faith.

From another thread...moments ago...I quote myself...

No photos, no equations, no fingerprints and no experimental results.

No evidence.

Theological discussions can move from one thought to another....

Shall we start with God as existing?....I say yeah.

Spirit first or substance?
The consequence is simple and straight forward.
Say substance....then there is no Creator, no One waiting for you....
death will take you to your grave....eternal darkness is your fate.

If you are willing to say Spirit first....we can now have a discussion.
(end quote)

If this seems a line drawn...it is.
You gotta start somewhere, and once a direction is focused, we might actually resolve a few ideas..

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
***Mod Post***

Most of the posts in this thread have been deleted for being off-topic. If anyone wants to have a debate about something other than what's being presented in the OP, please start another thread.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is a question I have been thinking about quite a bit lately. This is primarily because I have been reading a lot of older arguments for the existence for or against God for a class I will be taking. Through all that I have learned, this is my take on the answer.

I'm going to stop there, because if you're being honest about this part above, then that's virtually all you can say.

If that's really "as far as it goes", then your argument really only amounts to this:

I believe a thing of unknown attributes exists. Since its characteristics are undefined, one can suggest any possible attribute for it, and that attribute will be compatible with the thing's known attribute, since there aren't any.

All the rest of what follows is hand-waving. Without defining "God" a bit more, you have no more reason to say "If God exists, it is possible that God was the catalyst for the beginning of the universe" than you would "If God exists, it is possible that God is ranch-flavoured."

Edit: IOW, your decision to muse about potential religiously-based characteristics for this unknown thing you've arbitrarily labelled "God" is based on nothing more than your personal preferences.

Last edited:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If you don't know what it is, what does it mean to say it exists?
There are many things that I don't understand, but know exist. I don't really know what a neutrino is, but I accept that they exist. Now, I'm not saying no one knows what they are, as there are those who obviously do. But just because I don't know what it is (I guess I have a vague idea), doesn't say anything about whether they exist or not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
There are many things that I don't understand, but know exist. I don't really know what a neutrino is, but I accept that they exist. Now, I'm not saying no one knows what they are, as there are those who obviously do. But just because I don't know what it is (I guess I have a vague idea), doesn't say anything about whether they exist or not.

Even I as a lay person know a few specific things about neutrinos:

- they're particles
- they have no charge
- they interact very little with "conventional" matter as they pass through it
- they require specialized apparatuses placed in special environments (i.e. deep in old mines) to detect them

But another important distinction: you say "there are those who obviously do" know about what a neutrino is. Are there people who know about what God is?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
i disagree.
god cultivated and condoned a misogynistic culture.
If God cultivated the culture though, it would stand that he helped create the culture, and not the other way around.
can you provide one example please?

not that i disagree with the possibility of there being a god but about this argument, if it is one ;), that culture changes to fit god.
Paul's letters are the best example. Paul is constantly admonishing the various congregations that he set up for doing things that simply are not acceptable. His vice lists in Romans 1, as well as in 1 Corinthians, and else where show that according to Paul at least, God is not happy with their current culture. I say culture here as they (the congregants) are just living as others in their culture. The vices that are listed are the vices levied against the gentile cultures.

So we see God here (or the God that Paul is claiming to speak for), objecting to the current culture (as in why Paul supplies the vice lists). That culture then changed in order to appease this God.

Now, if God was created in order to fit into the culture, we would see a very different God. It wouldn't be a God condemning the actions of the vast majority of people in that culture.

That being said, one could argue that God was created in order to transform a culture into what was thought to be a better situation.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Even I as a lay person know a few specific things about neutrinos:

- they're particles
- they have no charge
- they interact very little with "conventional" matter as they pass through it
- they require specialized apparatuses placed in special environments (i.e. deep in old mines) to detect them

But another important distinction: you say "there are those who obviously do" know about what a neutrino is. Are there people who know about what God is?
The point I was making is that there are things that we simply don't understand. I'm not a scientist. I really don't care about various particles, and thus I don't study them, or take time to learn about them. I'm sure there are many scientific concepts I haven't even heard of. Even more, scientists are making new discoveries all of the time.

Many discoveries fill in gaps of our knowledge. With a lot of these discoveries, people knew or at least thought whatever existed. The neutrino is a good example. At one time, it was a proposed idea. Scientists didn't know if it existed, but had a hypothesis. In this case, it proved to be true. It could have just as easily proven to be wrong. And there are many such instances, as in, not all hypothesis are correct.

So, does someone know about what God is? Probably not. That doesn't really mean anything though. Could someone later on know about what God is? If God exists, then yes. It would just mean at this current point, we don't have the means to do such. And really, our knowledge is limited at this point in regards to many things.

CynthiaCypher

What if a person had a personal religious experience? I think these people can be aware whether there is a God or not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The point I was making is that there are things that we simply don't understand. I'm not a scientist. I really don't care about various particles, and thus I don't study them, or take time to learn about them. I'm sure there are many scientific concepts I haven't even heard of. Even more, scientists are making new discoveries all of the time.
But the average physicist will know more about neutrinos than the average lay person. Does the average theologian know more about God than the average lay person?

Many discoveries fill in gaps of our knowledge. With a lot of these discoveries, people knew or at least thought whatever existed. The neutrino is a good example. At one time, it was a proposed idea. Scientists didn't know if it existed, but had a hypothesis. In this case, it proved to be true. It could have just as easily proven to be wrong. And there are many such instances, as in, not all hypothesis are correct.
In the case of the neutrino, it was predicted by theories before it was detected. The theories at the time, which were well-supported by experimental evidence in other ways, implied that if they were right, a particle with the properties of the neutrino should exist.

The existence of the neutrino was already well-supported by indirect evidence long before it was directly detected.

Exactly what evidence (even indirect) predicts God? What does it say about the properties that God will have?

So, does someone know about what God is? Probably not. That doesn't really mean anything though.
No, it means plenty, because people throw the term "God" around all the time as if it means something... for instance you in your posts in this thread. If we're still waiting to figure out what the heck "God" means, then any current mention of God is meaningless.

Could someone later on know about what God is? If God exists, then yes. It would just mean at this current point, we don't have the means to do such. And really, our knowledge is limited at this point in regards to many things.
Yes, our knowledge of limited. But here's the thing: if something is beyond the limits of our knowledge, then we can't talk knowledgeably about it. What you're talking about is utterly incompatible with any religion that claims to have knowledge of or from God, including every religion that purports to be "revealed".

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I'm going to stop there, because if you're being honest about this part above, then that's virtually all you can say.

If that's really "as far as it goes", then your argument really only amounts to this:

I believe a thing of unknown attributes exists. Since its characteristics are undefined, one can suggest any possible attribute for it, and that attribute will be compatible with the thing's known attribute, since there aren't any.

All the rest of what follows is hand-waving. Without defining "God" a bit more, you have no more reason to say "If God exists, it is possible that God was the catalyst for the beginning of the universe" than you would "If God exists, it is possible that God is ranch-flavoured."

Edit: IOW, your decision to muse about potential religiously-based characteristics for this unknown thing you've arbitrarily labelled "God" is based on nothing more than your personal preferences.
One can suggest possible attributes to anything, but that really doesn't mean they should be accepted. More so, not all attributes would be compatible with this thing, even though I haven't made an in depth definition. There will necessarily be limitations based on what we know, and will know about the natural world.

I don't see a reason to define God though if the definition is going to be nothing more than guess work, that I couldn't support anyway. Mainly because after I provided the definition, then there would be debate about whether or not my definition was credible, how I came up with such a definition, and then what evidence I used to support my definition. So it would really lead to a debate that wasn't on topic anyway, and really a waste of everyone's time.

With this current OP that I created, I'm not saying that God was the catalyst. I'm simply opening up the possibility. I'm not arguing that it is a must, or even probable, just that it is a possibility. Now, it is just as possible that God is not the catalyst, but I proposed the idea simply because there have been arguments that God can't exist because nothing existed before the Big Bang, or the like.

The whole purpose of the OP isn't to prove that God exists. Just that a neutral position is the one that is supported by the evidence. The evidence being that there is none. So to either confirm or deny the existence of God, rests on a belief. I don't think either one is better. I don't think either one is more probable. I'm just saying that both are options, and if one chooses either one, it is more of a belief without evidence. And that is fine.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What if a person had a personal religious experience? I think these people can be aware whether there is a God or not.

How?

Attributing a religious experience to God involves two steps:

1. "I experienced 'X'"
2. "X feels like God."

The person with the experience may be able to speak to step 1, but nobody, including that person, is in a position to make any sort of determination about step 2 until we establish what God "feels like".

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Mainly because after I provided the definition, then there would be debate about whether or not my definition was credible, how I came up with such a definition, and then what evidence I used to support my definition.
If we are doing science (and there is no reason not to) all of this is irrelevant. The question is: does your definition predict reality correctly?

Without knowing what God is at all, you cannot even begin answer that question, and so you cannot support "God exists."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
One can suggest possible attributes to anything, but that really doesn't mean they should be accepted.
Bingo. Any attributes must be supported, including your personal favourites.

More so, not all attributes would be compatible with this thing, even though I haven't made an in depth definition. There will necessarily be limitations based on what we know, and will know about the natural world.
You haven't given a definition at all, AFAICT. All you've given us so far is "there may exist a thing; I call it 'God'."

I don't see a reason to define God though if the definition is going to be nothing more than guess work, that I couldn't support anyway. Mainly because after I provided the definition, then there would be debate about whether or not my definition was credible, how I came up with such a definition, and then what evidence I used to support my definition. So it would really lead to a debate that wasn't on topic anyway, and really a waste of everyone's time.
But the alternative, i.e. to steam on ahead as if everyone knows what "God" means without actually defining it, is a waste of time, too.

All this leaves us with is this: if you're talking from a position of no knowledge, then you're wasting your time.

With this current OP that I created, I'm not saying that God was the catalyst. I'm simply opening up the possibility. I'm not arguing that it is a must, or even probable, just that it is a possibility. Now, it is just as possible that God is not the catalyst, but I proposed the idea simply because there have been arguments that God can't exist because nothing existed before the Big Bang, or the like.
And you just happened to choose a term that's associated with an intelligent agent who's an object of worship?

The whole purpose of the OP isn't to prove that God exists. Just that a neutral position is the one that is supported by the evidence. The evidence being that there is none. So to either confirm or deny the existence of God, rests on a belief. I don't think either one is better. I don't think either one is more probable. I'm just saying that both are options, and if one chooses either one, it is more of a belief without evidence. And that is fine.
But you haven't said anything! There's nothing to your position! "Undefined things may or may not exist"?! That's trivially true... and it has absolutely nothing to do with religion.

All you've done is arbitrarily slap a religious label an undefined thing. You could've called the undefined thing "X", "Steve" or "ice cream sundae" - as you've presented your argument so far, it's only an identifier of convenience... but then you play this bait-and-switch and pretend that you choosing this arbitrary identifier means that the unidentified thing has something to do with the Bible and what people do on their Sunday mornings at church.

If you want to make that connection, you have a lot more work to do than you have... and the fact that you've called it a "waste of time" doesn't mean you get to skip it and keep going as if you've established the foundation you need to.

Last edited:

cablescavenger

If God exists, it is possible that God was the catalyst for the beginning of the universe. How the universe exactly came into existence is not known. The Big Bang is a good explanation, which has a lot of support. However, where this initial energy came from is not fully known. What or if anything existed before the Big Bang is not known. There is the possibility that there have been an infinite amount of previous universes in which goes through a cycle of birth, death, and rebirth. Now, this is not an argument against the Big Bang, as it is a good theory that is supported. It is an argument for us simply not having all of the information (and maybe we never will).

That being so, it would be possible that before this last Big Bang, there was God who put everything in motion. There is also the possibility that before the first Big Bang (assuming there were many), God was the catalyst that put everything in motion. It is a possibility, and until we have more information, one can not simply rule out such a possibility (at least not scientifically).

So it is possible that God exists, or existed. It would also be possible that God was the creator as well. I am not talking about creationism though. It God was the catalyst for the universe, it is also possible that God provided the catalyst for life. The theory I personally like best about how life first originated on Earth is on the back of a meteorite. It is a theory that is becoming popular, makes sense, and does have support (on a side note, according to a new study, there would be the possibility that on another planet, life could have evolved very similar to what we have on Earth. If life did come to Earth on a meteorite, it is possible parts of that meteorite, or the origin of the meteorite also laid the same building blocks on another planet. Which I find quite interesting). It would be possible that God was the catalyst (or directed), this course of events. It does not take away from science.

But some have claimed that humans have a history of creating gods, or that they create gods in our image, to fit our needs and culture (which is a very old argument). Neither actually suggest that God does not exist though (especially since one is partially or even wholly untrue). The first objection is actually quite easy to explain if God does exist. For me, I believe in a monistic idea of God. That being, there is one God. That God, knowing that people need different things, appears in different manners. So all of these supposedly different gods really are just manifestations of the one actual God. Hinduism has a very nice concept of this.

Why God would do this is quite simple as well. People are different. People need different things. So God provides just that. It makes sense that a God would do such as what worked for someone a thousand years ago, does not necessarily work today. People and time change. Thus our understanding changes. And how we see God would change (the same is true with pretty much everything. The way we view the world around us, and science has greatly changed in just the last hundred years. A hundred years from now, it will have changed as well).

None of this proves or even suggests there is a God though. It only suggests a possibility, one with no actual evidence. However, the opposite also lacks evidence. Many of the arguments against God tend to focus on mythology, while not understanding what mythology is, or for claiming that Christians, or God claimed something (through the Bible), that is not true. Recently I saw the claim that theology (one can read Christians here as well) and/or God claimed that the sun revolved around the Earth (The God who wasn't There makes a similar claim at the beginning of the documentary). What is forgotten though is that it was also science that claimed the same thing. The idea came through observation. What is also forgotten is that it was also Christians also helped break that idea and provide evidence for the heliocentric view.

There is also the fact that the Bible makes erroneous claims. Many of such claims though are either taken out of context, taking something not literal as if it was meant to be literal, or simply not understanding the text. However, with that said, there are many contradictions and errors. This does not suggest God does not exist though. It simply suggests what many Christians and others realize. The Bible was written by humans. Maybe it was inspired by God, but that does not mean it will be perfect, or without error. After all, it was a man made book.

As with taking mythology literally, or simply not understanding it, that is something both theists and atheists have in common. Take the creation stories for example. They are mythology. They were not meant to be literal explanations of how the universe came into being. We can see this since there are multiple creation accounts (this is true for most ancient societies) that do not equal each other. Yet, the composer of Genesis does not seem to care that there are problems. And that is because the story was not meant to be literal. It is mythology, which helps relay "truths" (which is a very simplified explanation) They are not meant to be literal. And theists and atheists get that wrong quite a bit.

I think that can be summarised.

There is a possibility that God works in my local McDonalds, you might not believe it but I think it means we can't know for sure.

idav

Being
Premium Member
But the average physicist will know more about neutrinos than the average lay person. Does the average theologian know more about God than the average lay person?
When we gain knowledge of the inner workings of the universe we are tapping into what god is. Theologians started figuring it out, particularly in eastern religions, even before we had the capability to show proof.