• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Fasting Kill Your Productivity?

Peace

Quran & Sunnah
Does Fasting Kill Your Productivity?

I know that you expect me to say no, absolutely not. But truth is, yes it does. We cannot deny that if by fasting you mean only refraining from eating or drinking, your production and achievement rate will decrease in every aspect of your life. You will probably try to do as little as you have to, sleep as long as you can and keep your mind off from food by any means – even if this consists of playing games, listening to music or entertaining yourself with idle talk.

’How many of those who fast get nothing from it but hunger and thirst?!’

This saying should be taken as a warning. Many Muslims are fasting without any benefit to themselves, neither experiencing any spiritual elevation nor being able to leave sin and draw closer to Allah, The Exalted. Fasting becomes a matter of merely skipping meals, and at iftar the missed food is ‘made up for’ in the form of a feast.

However, if you are practicing a truly Islamic fasting then it is a completely different experience. Ramadan is the month in which the rewards for good actions have no limits, the month in which we discipline ourselves and thus increase our productivity!

The rest of the article

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Thanks for the post.

You bring up good points about ANY ritual being more for rituals sake, than to embrace spirit through intention.

elmarna

While I will not dispute your argument. I am not without the understanding that "fasting" which in all purposes lets us appreciate what life hands us to see to our needs & what it is to be denied.
It is the foundations of realizeing that while we desire there is a difference between a wish & a need!
focusing on the purpose with intent of laying down the foundations of self control & self awareness can only lead to a higher state of conscience & a world much more able to respond in a wise way! Done right-"fasting will not harm & is not likely to be punishment to the person. I say if there constitution can not handle it then it is best to obstain! With the true purpose of fasting it is a good thing all around!

khanyy

Fasting does definitely slow down the human body for example Sulley Muntari an Inter Milan footballer fasted during the start of the football season in Italy and showed very poor performances during that period which caused then manager Mourinho to criticise him, however other players aren't affected as much for example Fredi Kanoute doesnt have any problems. I guess it all depends on the individual and their ability to cope.

AgreeToDisagree

The Nobody
Fasting does definitely slow down the human body for example Sulley Muntari an Inter Milan footballer fasted during the start of the football season in Italy and showed very poor performances during that period which caused then manager Mourinho to criticise him, however other players aren't affected as much for example Fredi Kanoute doesnt have any problems. I guess it all depends on the individual and their ability to cope.

Perhaps it has something to do with their mentality / state of mind and motivation, wont you agree?

khanyy

'agree to disagree'

"Perhaps it has something to do with their mentality / state of mind and motivation, wont you agree?"

Hi, yeah most definitely as i said some people can cope better than others, i for example still go to the gym whilst fasting however i don't train nearly as long as i would if i weren't fasting.

Salaam.