• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does conversion damage the concept of "one true religion"?

amorphous_constellation

What say you?

I think it's a latent impulse in the human spirit toward a system of henotheism, which I think might have been available to us in various ancient pockets of history. The henotheistic path is one that modern people have largely shunned, as truth became more and more understood as being monic. Henotheism is however, far more sophisticated in that you have to actually make a choice among many that exist.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I think all religions have truth that reflects the time and culture from where they emerged. So the truths are framed in the language and concepts of a particular era. Jesus taught a Jewish audience amidst the Roman Empire. Buddha emerged from a privileged background in India at a time when Hinduism that had particular challenges. Muhammad united a disparate group of nomadic tribesmen on the Arabian peninsula. Religion is like a tree with seasons. Eventually it loses its vitality and the old gives way to the new. There’s no harm in abandoning outworn traditions for that which is suited to the modern era.

Well said and I agree....

MJFlores

One would think that if there was one true religion, some people would not convert from one religion to another.

What say you?

If there is one true religion, I believe people should look for it.
That is why people are checking one religion to another.

Phaedrus

I have been reticent to post anything because there has been no direct response to the original post.

I cannot properly debate a tangent response, but perhaps that is for the best. Perhaps facing one's cognitive dissonance is too uncomfortable.

Muffled

Jesus in me
One would think that if there was one true religion, some people would not convert from one religion to another.

What say you?

I believe people are capable of believing almost anything including that the aliens want us to commit suicide.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think all religions have truth that reflects the time and culture from where they emerged. So the truths are framed in the language and concepts of a particular era. Jesus taught a Jewish audience amidst the Roman Empire. Buddha emerged from a privileged background in India at a time when Hinduism that had particular challenges. Muhammad united a disparate group of nomadic tribesmen on the Arabian peninsula. Religion is like a tree with seasons. Eventually it loses its vitality and the old gives way to the new. There’s no harm in abandoning outworn traditions for that which is suited to the modern era.

I believe religions may contain some truth but only one will save you from sin and give you eternal life and that is Christianity.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why??? Is there one subject humanity has agreed on? Is there anything which is immune from opinion change? The nature of the universe, the origin of life? I would expect a few debatable ideas to crop up.

I believe truth is not subject to humanity.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If there is one true religion, I believe people should look for it.
That is why people are checking one religion to another.

And what about when they find what they're looking for and settle happily into it, but it's not the same religion as others'? Truth is relative and subjective.

MJFlores

And what about when they find what they're looking for and settle happily into it, but it's not the same religion as others'? Truth is relative and subjective.

Why do we search for God?
Why do we belong to a religion and why do we leave a religion for the next?
The answers would be varied.

But for me it stems from the thought that everything has an end.
And there is a need to prepare for it.
The world we are in is "unsavable" and we live in the end times

giphy.gif

And when it comes
I have to make sure, I am in the safe side

MJFlores

There are fake religions and you could be in one.
You have to be sure, because the consequences are devastating.

Matthew 7:13-23 New International Version (NIV)
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

upload_2019-9-26_14-28-53.jpeg

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

images