• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Christianity have a lot of Roman paganism in it?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Does Christianity have a lot of Roman paganism in it? Please
Its cores beliefs constructed by Paul definitely belong to Paganism, not to Jesus or Jesus’ teachings.
Is it Roman Catholism or Roman Paganism that is known as Christianity?
Please

Regards

This thread is conceptualized from posts:
#14 Carlita
#15 paarsurrey
One may like to read them, please

Does Christianity have a lot of Roman paganism in it? Please
Its cores beliefs constructed by Paul definitely belong to Paganism, not to Jesus or Jesus’ teachings.
Is it Roman Catholism or Roman Paganism that is known as Christianity?

It's more a Hellenised version of Judaism (more about philosophical influences than overt Pagan ones).

Also early Christians were very keen to differentiate themselves as much as possible from Roman Paganism. This is why they were persecuted for a long time, their rejection of and intolerance towards Roman religion was an implicit rejection of the Roman Emperor/state.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I personally believe that most of Christianity is nothing more than plagiarism, the story of Jesus is based on many god-men, and I see nothing wrong in that personally, but fundamentalist would.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I personally believe that most of Christianity is nothing more than plagiarism, the story of Jesus is based on many god-men, and I see nothing wrong in that personally, but fundamentalist would.
I will mention two aspect of similarities in both to start with:
"
1. Many early Christians celebrated Jesus' birthday on JAN-6. Armenian Christians still do. In Alexandria, in what is now Egypt, the birthday of their god-man, Aion, was also celebrated on JAN-6.
2. Christians and most Pagans eventually celebrated the birthday of their god-man on DEC-25."
Parallels between the Christian gospels and Pagan mythology

One may like to add more of the similarities, if one likes. Please
Regards

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member

1. Many early Christians celebrated Jesus' birthday on JAN-6. Armenian Christians still do. In Alexandria, in what is now Egypt, the birthday of their god-man, Aion, was also celebrated on JAN-6.
2. Christians and most Pagans eventually celebrated the birthday of their god-man on DEC-25.

Regards

And so they should be allow to celebrate whatever they want, as long as they don't hurt others.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Only as far as the pope of Rome can extend his reach, which is pretty far, but contrary to anything biblical, including what Paul taught.

Kirran

Premium Member
In ritual and organisation, that may well be the case regarding Western Christianity. But I see no particular support for that idea as far as the Church of the East goes, or the Oriental Orthodoxy of the Middle East and Ethiopia.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
In ritual and organisation, that may well be the case regarding Western Christianity. But I see no particular support for that idea as far as the Church of the East goes, or the Oriental Orthodoxy of the Middle East and Ethiopia.
Do you have any examples that come to mind?

Shiranui117

Premium Member
How do you mean? I was referring more to how the heritage of many Christian traditions hasn't passed through Rome, and so can't be reasonably said to be Roman.
Ahh, now I gotcha. I thought you had examples of Roman pagan influence on Western Christianity. Though the Roman Empire certainly stretched over much of the Middle East, so even in places like Syria and Egypt, one shouldn't be surprised to find some kind of Roman pagan influence on the Christianity there, if one even wants to seriously entertain the idea brought up in the OP. (I certainly don't, for the record...)

Kirran

Premium Member
Ahh, now I gotcha. I thought you had examples of Roman pagan influence on Western Christianity. Though the Roman Empire certainly stretched over much of the Middle East, so even in places like Syria and Egypt, one shouldn't be surprised to find some kind of Roman pagan influence on the Christianity there, if one even wants to seriously entertain the idea brought up in the OP. (I certainly don't, for the record...)

Ah, I see what you mean! Well I do think that in organisation, and in some of the festival rituals and so forth, there is a lot in Western Christianity which comes out of the Roman imperial cult etc, although this was very intertwined with just Roman systems of government overall.

I think if you wanted to call a variant of Christianity Jewish, Ethiopian Christianity would be a more interesting one to explore!

Shiranui117

Premium Member

Actually, Aion's feast day was January 8th, according to this site.
2. Christians and most Pagans eventually celebrated the birthday of their god-man on DEC-25.
One should consider whether this was a case of Christians copying pagan holidays to be more like the pagans, or attempting to replace the pagan holidays and thereby the pagan religions themselves.

Shiranui117

Premium Member
Ah, I see what you mean! Well I do think that in organisation, and in some of the festival rituals and so forth, there is a lot in Western Christianity which comes out of the Roman imperial cult etc, although this was very intertwined with just Roman systems of government overall.

I think if you wanted to call a variant of Christianity Jewish, Ethiopian Christianity would be a more interesting one to explore!
Ethiopian Christianity fo sho, especially given that they even still adhere to some of the dietary restrictions found in Judaism, many refrain from working on the Sabbath, and they have Liturgy on both Saturday and Sunday. I think many also remove their shoes when coming into the Church, or at least before going forward to receive Communion as well, though I may be wrong on that one.

It'll be great when they finally translate their Bible into English. The extra books in the Old and New Testaments would be fascinating reads.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"1. Many early Christians celebrated Jesus' birthday on JAN-6. Armenian Christians still do. In Alexandria, in what is now Egypt, the birthday of their god-man, Aion, was also celebrated on JAN-6.
2. Christians and most Pagans eventually celebrated the birthday of their god-man on DEC-25."

Regards
To add further:

1. According to an ancient Christian tradition, Christ died on MAR-23 and resurrected on MAR-25. These dates agree precisely with the death and resurrection of Attis.
2. Baptism was a principal ritual; it washed away a person's sins. In some rituals, Baptism was performed by sprinkling holy water on the believer; in others, the person was totally immersed
3. The most important sacrament was a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolize the god-man's body and blood. His followers were accused of engaging in cannibalism.
4. Early Christians initiated converts in March and April by baptism. Mithraism initiated their new members at this time as well.

Regards

Shiranui117

Premium Member
To add further:

1. According to an ancient Christian tradition, Christ died on MAR-23 and resurrected on MAR-25. These dates agree precisely with the death and resurrection of Attis.
I've never heard of any such tradition. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any evidence of such a tradition at all. I also haven't found anything to suggest that Attis died on March 23rd and rose on March 25th.

2. Baptism was a principal ritual; it washed away a person's sins. In some rituals, Baptism was performed by sprinkling holy water on the believer; in others, the person was totally immersed
3. The most important sacrament was a ritual meal of bread and wine which symbolize the god-man's body and blood. His followers were accused of engaging in cannibalism.
Congratulations, you know basic New Testament information!

4. Early Christians initiated converts in March and April by baptism. Mithraism initiated their new members at this time as well.
1: Christian converts were baptized all around the year. It just so happens that baptisms happened with greater frequency around Easter, which tends to fall in March or April.
2: There is no evidence to suggest that new initiates to Mithraism were initiated into the Mysteries in March or April. Even if there was, it wouldn't prove anything.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Baptism /similar Judaism Mikveh, is certainly not 'from' Mithraism', as it was practiced in the region /by for example, the people in the Bible; /in the era of Jesus, in Yisrael. Not after the era. Jesus was baptized Himself, and incidentally, did not baptize people in that manner

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Baptism /similar Judaism Mikveh, is certainly not 'from' Mithraism', as it was practiced in the region /by for example, the people in the Bible; /in the era of Jesus, in Yisrael. Not after the era. Jesus was baptized Himself, and incidentally, did not baptize people in that manner
One may like to see an interesting video "The SON of GOD is the SUN of GOD":

Courtesy post #1 from Riders, Yesterday at 10:46 PM, in the
"General Religious Debates". Please
Regards