• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Belief have any Practical Application?

rrobs

Does Belief have any Practical Application?

If not, then why have any belief?

Mark 11:23,
For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
I can think of plenty of times in life that would come in handy.

rrobs

The medical placebo effect is real.
The placebo effect is indeed real. However, it is not the only factor in life.

Everything little thing you do in life is based on believing. Every time you sit in a chair you do so because you believe it will hold you up. If you look at a chair with one broken leg you would think otherwise because you wouldn't believe it would hold you up. You readily drink tap water because you believe it is drinkable. If you believed it to contain harmful bacteria, you would then act on that belief and not drink it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The placebo effect is indeed real. However, it is not the only factor in life.

Everything little thing you do in life is based on believing. Every time you sit in a chair you do so because you believe it will hold you up. If you look at a chair with one broken leg you would think otherwise because you wouldn't believe it would hold you up. You readily drink tap water because you believe it is drinkable. If you believed it to contain harmful bacteria, you would then act on that belief and not drink it.
I referred to only medical applications.
This article reflects what I'm thinking of....
The power of the placebo effect - Harvard Health

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Mark 11:23,
For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
I can think of plenty of times in life that would come in handy.
yes but jesus only moved mountains of flesh.

rrobs

True. Believing lies keeps one from truth.
Right. We either believe in the truth or lies. Genesis has a classic example.

What God said:

Gen 2:17,
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.​

What the devil said:

Gen 3:4,
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Right. We either believe in the truth or lies. Genesis has a classic example.

What God said:

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.​

What the devil said:

Right, people hold things to be axiomatic to their experience when their really just a way of being controlled.

And I understand, sometimes when you hear two conflicting messages it's hard to choose which to believe.

rrobs

And I understand, sometimes when you hear two conflicting messages it's hard to choose which to believe.
I'll take scriptural doctrine over church doctrine any day. If the church doctrine lines up with scripture, I'll accept it, but unfortunately there are many places where church doctrine does not line up with the Bible.

RedDragon94

I'll take scriptural doctrine over church doctrine any day. If the church doctrine lines up with scripture, I'll accept it, but unfortunately there are many places where church doctrine does not line up with the Bible.
Okay, like (specific doctrine)?

rrobs

Okay, like (specific doctrine)?
I think it is fair to say that many, if not most, churches believe that grandma, who died 20 years ago, is floating around somewhere up there looking down on us. They even pray to grandma to help them out down here.

What God said:

What the devil and many churches say:

You'd think that after 6,000 years someone in the church hierarchy would have come across this, but apparently not. Or they just chose to ignore it.

The good news is that someday everybody will be resurrected, but for now, dead is dead. Go to a funeral home and look in a casket.

RedDragon94

I think it is fair to say that many, if not most, churches believe that grandma, who died 20 years ago, is floating around somewhere up there looking down on us. They even pray to grandma to help them out down here.

What God said:

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
What the devil and many churches say:

You'd think that after 6,000 years someone in the church hierarchy would have come across this, but apparently not. Or they just chose to ignore it.

The good news is that someday everybody will be resurrected, but for now, dead is dead. Go to a funeral home and look in a casket.
So, does the Bible say anything about an afterlife?