• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Because as others have said, all meaning is subjective, even my Christian lens. As long as objective meaning eludes me I am a nihilist.
Well, don't you believe in a heaven with love and divine love. Love may be all that matters objectively.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, don't you believe in a heaven with love and divine love. Love may be all that matters objectively.
I do but it's not a major part of my belief. I wouldn't care if there were no heaven. Scripture states that no-one who dies actually goes to heaven yet (apart from the Saints); that only happens post-Judgement.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
aTheism and Nihilism are in effect, the same.
No they aren't.

Though I do find it interesting how most of the nihilists I know are theists....
I suspect it is because they have been brainwashed into thinking they must serve a god in order to have any purpose.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why the self imposed martyrdom?
I don't see it as anything of the sort. I was just stating a fact. I didn't mean it to come across as self-martydom at all. Is calling oneself a nihilist a loaded phrase? If it is I never knew. I am a nihilist because that is how I see the world, it's just...what I am? :/

McBell

I don't see it as anything of the sort. I was just stating a fact. I didn't mean it to come across as self-martydom at all. Is calling oneself a nihilist a loaded phrase? If it is I never knew. I am a nihilist because that is how I see the world, it's just...what I am? :/
You are a self martyr because of your added conditional modifier "objective".

McBell

I fail to see the problem. I believe there is no objective meaning to life, therefore I am a nihilist. What's so bad about that?
Interesting that you assume a problem.
Interesting that you assume some sort of "bad"...

I am merely curious as to the why of your self imposed martyrdom.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting that you assume a problem.
Interesting that you assume some sort of "bad"...

I am merely curious as to the why of your self imposed martyrdom.
Then what do you mean by 'self-imposed martyrdom'? I don't want to make of myself any kind of martyr.

McBell

Then what do you mean by 'self-imposed martyrdom'? I don't want to make of myself any kind of martyr.
Seems to me you are beating yourself up looking for something you know does not exist.