• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Atheism Lead to Immoral Behavior?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't conceptualize human behaviors in terms of "moral" or "immoral" - this is far too black-and-white for my pluralist mind, never mind the amoral vantage point through which I regard the world more generally.

Accepting or rejecting some particular idea about something - whether we're talking economic philosophies, political systems, theological systems, or whatever - in of itself means very little. How these ideas translate into behaviors is what matters, and accepting or rejecting particular ideas certainly drives behavior. The correspondence though, particularly with an idea as complex as the gods, isn't straightforward. It doesn't help that nobody is one-sidedly (a)theistic with respect to all ideas about the gods. (A)theism is barely a useful concept as it is, never mind attempting to connect it to human behavioral outcomes. One really must get more specific than that - which (a)theist ideas?

Small reminder of (a)theism =/= (ir)religion/(ir)religious.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
the developed world is disintegrating and the world is circling the drain

Since you are a Muslim this Hadith:
The time is near in which nothing will remain of Islam but its name, and
of the Quran but its mere appearance, and the mosques of Muslims will be
destitute of of knowledge and worship; and the learned will be the worst
people under the heavens; and contention and strife will issue from them,
and it will return upon themselves.
Ye follower of Muhammad, I swear by the Lord, if ye did but know what I
know of the future state, verily ye would laugh little and cry much.
Men will be liars towards the end of the world; and will relate such
stories as neither you nor your fathers ever heard. Then avoid them, that
they may not lead you astray and throw you into contention and strife.

From Hinduism: http://www.bci.org/prophecy-fulfilled/hindusa.htm this time was also prophesied:
"...deceit, falsehood, lethargy, sleepiness, violence, despondency.
grief, delusion, fear, and poverty prevail..."

... men will abandon their parents, brothers, friends, and
relatives. They will occupy high seats [and pulpits] and will [pretend
to] preach religion.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
evolution teaches us that extinction, survival of the fittest (opportunistic murder and other forms of brutality) and genocide are simply nature taking its course

Evolution is a fact of the world God created. To deny science is to deny the world God created in favor of a human conception. And cooperation is part of evolution:
The evolution of human cooperation
Five rules for the evolution of cooperation
Cooperation, not struggle for survival, drives evolution, say researchers

chris baron

That's the bleak view you choose

It’s an empirical fact: San Francisco is a crappier place to live these days. Sightings of human feces on the sidewalks are now a regular occurrence; over the past 10 years, complaints about human waste have increased 400%

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
all you need to do is look at expressly atheist societies and see how degenerate they are. nominally religious societies are also degenerate but that is not because of religion but despite it.

What "expressly atheist societies" are there? Can you name one?
there is no such thing as an atheist, whatever is your priority in life, who are whatever you think is the most powerful entity on earth, whatever you get up in the morning for is your "god", even if it is not much of a god and you have nothing in particular to live for.
There is such thing as an atheist. I am an atheist.

I don't get up in the morning for any gods. I don't worship any gods. I don't believe in any gods.

chris baron

chris baron

What "expressly atheist societies" are there? Can you name one?

There is such thing as an atheist. I am an atheist.

I don't get up in the morning for any gods. I don't worship any gods. I don't believe in any gods.

Under the doctrine of state atheism in the Soviet Union, there was a "government-sponsored program of conversion to atheism" conducted by Communists.

It is our duty to destroy every religious world-concept... If the destruction of ten million human beings, as happened in the last war, should be necessary for the triumph of one definite class, then that must be done and it will be done. - Soviet Militant Atheist League

The Communist Party destroyed churches, mosques, and temples; it executed religious leaders; it flooded the schools and media with anti-religious propaganda;

According to some sources, the total number of Christian victims under the Soviet regime has been estimated to range around 12 to 20 million.[8][9] At least 106,300 Russian clergymen were executed between 1937 and 1941.[10]

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
people undergoing body modification surgeries and then committing suicide is degenerate. canadian medical assistance in suicide (MAID. maids clean up places) is totally insanely degenerate.

In most jurisdictions in the world with legalized euthanasia, doctors are explicitly prohibited, or strongly discouraged from raising assisted dying with a patient.

Canadian doctors encouraged to bring up medically assisted death before their patients do
A guidance document produced by Canada’s providers of medically assisted death states that doctors have a professional obligation to bring up MAID
Canada isn't an "expressly atheist society." :shrug:

Viker

Häxan
why-some-people-engage-in-consistently-unethical-behavior.jpg

I'd suppose this depends on what you view as moral behavior but I thought I'd ask the question to see what people would say.

It is easy to justify one's personal morals but I'd like you to consider the world at large. Is the world becoming more moral or less moral?

And, does this have anything to do with the decline of religious belief?
No. Religious belief may influence moral behavior for some but it doesn't exemplify it. Morality or the lack of morality are mostly from personal character traits. Highly religious folk can be some of the most vile immoral scoundrels.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
didnt cromags supposedly exterminate neanderthals? "cromags are not immoral because they cooperated in the extermination of neanderthal."

i

If you want to discuss science, fine. The fact is that many humans have neanderthal genes showing that there was a lot of sex between homo sapiens and neanderthals for one thing. It's important to stay up with the science:

Neanderthal extinction not caused by brutal wipe out

"We are now able to demonstrate that Homo sapiens arrived 12,000 years before we expected, and this population was then replaced after that by other Neanderthal populations. And this literally rewrites all our books of history."
But the new discovery suggests that our species arrived much earlier and that the two species could have coexisted in Europe for more than 10,000 years before the Neanderthals went extinct.

According to Prof Chris Stringer, of the Natural History Museum in London, this challenges the current view, which is that our species quickly overwhelmed the Neanderthals.
So, if it wasn't a case of our species wiping them out immediately, what was it that eventually gave us the advantage?

Many ideas have been put forward by scientists: our capacity to produce art, language and possibly a better brain. But Prof Stringer believes it was because we were more organised.

"We were networking better, our social groups were larger, we were storing knowledge better and we built on that knowledge," he said.

The idea of a prolonged interaction with Neanderthals fits in with the discovery made in 2010 that modern humans have a small amount of Neanderthal DNA, indicating that the two species interbred, according to Prof Stringer.

PureX

Veteran Member
What, if anything, encourages/discourages immoral behavior?
Other than punishment, since some feel there ought to be something other than punishment that drives our moral behavior.
Empathy, a sense of shared well-being, a desire to live in peace, and a calling to a higher purpose: to leave the world and it's people a little better than we found them.