• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone still believe that the war in Iraq was justified?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

kai

ragamuffin
Yes i am satisfied that the war to oust Saddam was worth it and justified by his behavior, however the aftermath was and is appalling, The war with Saddam was a great success and over very quickly ,but the post Saddam planning was abysmal.

When most people think of the war against Saddam they are thinking of the aftermath of civil war and insurgency they are two different animals.

I believe if the post Saddam Iraq wasn't such a hell hole we would be ousting Gadaffi right now.

Debunker

The war in Iraq was a "get Saddam because he threatened my dad" retaliation and at US expense. WMD's and Saddam being a threat to the world was a great cover though.

So? Would you let somebody threaten your daddy? GWB's dad was the President of the USA. When you try to kill the President of the USA, what do you expect?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The war in Iraq was a "get Saddam because he threatened my dad" retaliation and at US expense. WMD's and Saddam being a threat to the world was a great cover though.
It worked too. :yes:

Let's get to the heart of the matter. Many people where pleased we finished what his daddy started. 41 listened to what the UN had to say and pulled back.

Many folks don't care for a one world government and supported 43 for telling the world to kiss our butt.

I personally believe we just wanted a strategic position near Iran and it all was just a farce with fringe benefits hanging Saddam.

Liberals are just upset that they took the bait and gave 43 the power to go back to Iraq.

I'm maintaining it has had to do with Iran all along. Obama should have ended the war by now. I believe even he sees something the rest of us do not know of.

Personally I don't want any war to last ten years. For Obama to still be there is very telling.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Yes i am satisfied that the war to oust Saddam was worth it and justified by his behavior, however the aftermath was and is appalling, The war with Saddam was a great success and over very quickly ,but the post Saddam planning was abysmal.

When most people think of the war against Saddam they are thinking of the aftermath of civil war and insurgency they are two different animals.

I believe if the post Saddam Iraq wasn't such a hell hole we would be ousting Gadaffi right now.
This is the one thing modern political leaderships fail at again and again. their armies and chain of commands gain a swift victory on the ground, accomplish their objectives. and even survive to live the tale remarkably well. however the political leadership would then sink into inane bureaucratic drag, instead of using the swift victory and the survivability of its soldiers. and will leave the troops in these god forsaken regions sometimes for years. doing police work and maintaining order. a liability which cripples much of the hard training combat soldiers work on. this method has proved over and over again to erode the soldiers and their human fibre as they erode the population under their authority.
Instead of striking one and decisive political action, with long term implications which do not rely on eroding hard working men, with the cost of compromising gear and training. and long term moral erosion of any functioning military and society.

Last edited:

Debunker

Tell me the truth, Debunker. You're a parody, right?

O.K. time for a fact or two:
Poll: Most Americans Say Iraq War Was a Mistake

60% think Iraq war was wrong, poll shows

A Zogby International/Arab American Institute poll of five Arab nations, which was released in March showed that the Arab opinion on the U.S. role in Iraq received a higher negative than how Arab’s view Iran’s influence in Iraq. The negative responses reached 68 percent in Saudi Arabia to 96 percent in Jordan. Other Arab nations polled included Egypt, United Arab Emirates and Lebanon.
Iraqis believe, by an overwhelming margin of 78 to 21 percent, that the US military presence is "provoking more conflict that it is preventing."

June 2004: 67 percent of Iraqis strongly or somewhat oppose the presence of Coalition troops; 30 percent support. (Iraq Centre for Research & Strategic Studies)

According to a January 2007 BBC World Service poll of more than 26,000 people in 25 countries, 73% of the global population disapproved of U.S. handling of the Iraq War [wiki]

According to polls conducted by the Arab American Institute, four years after the invasion of Iraq, 83% of Egyptians had a negative view of the U.S. role in Iraq; 68% of Saudi Arabians had a negative view; 96% of the Jordanian population had a negative view; 70% of the population of the United Arab Emirates and 76% of the Lebanese population also described their view as negative. [wiki]
From 2005 to 2007, polls consistently showed that a majority of Iraqis opposed the U.S. invasion.[365][366][367] [wiki]

March-April 2004: 46 percent say the US invasion has done more harm than good; 33 percent say more good. (Gallup) [same source]

But you go ahead with your views, Debunker, and don't let a little thing like facts disturb you. After all, President Bush didn't.

Sorry. I don't know what a parody is but if you are say that I have sex with anybody but my wife, I will sue you or hit the red button. Now which one do you want?

Now for your polls, GWB,Rush, Fox and I live by our principles, not polls so your statistics are wasted on us. Will you guys ever learn?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

I believe if we hadn't invaded and occupied Iraq, the people of Iraq would be ousting Saddam Hussein relatively non-violently right now, like just happened in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and is happening in Yemen, Jordan and so forth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Sorry. I don't know what a parody is but if you are say that I have sex with anybody but my wife, I will sue you or hit the red button. Now which one do you want?

Now for your polls, GWB,Rush, Fox and I live by our principles, not polls so your statistics are wasted on us. Will you guys ever learn?

I see. Like President Bush, you're not a member of the reality-based community. So when you said:
The people in Iraq think so. Most Americans think so. The leaders in the Middle East thought so (they said something about cutting the head off of the serpent), and I think so. ....
you knew it was baloney, but you didn't care. Congratulations. Like your former President, you have now thrown any possible credibility here out the window. Good job.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This is the one thing modern political leaderships fail at again and again. their armies and chain of commands gain a swift victory on the ground, accomplish their objectives. and even survive to live the tale remarkably well. however the political leadership would then sink into inane bureaucratic drag, instead of using the swift victory and the survivability of its soldiers. and will leave the troops in these god forsaken regions sometimes for years. doing police work and maintaining order. a liability which cripples much of the hard training combat soldiers work on. this method has proved over and over again to erode the soldiers and their human fibre as they erode the population under their authority.
Instead of striking one and decisive political action with long term implications which do not rely on eroding hard working men with the cost of compromising gear and training. and long term moral of any functioning military and society.

I agree. You should go out, kick butt and come home. Soldiers should not be police men.

kai

ragamuffin
I believe if we hadn't invaded and occupied Iraq, the people of Iraq would be ousting Saddam Hussein relatively non-violently right now, like just happened in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and is happening in Yemen, Jordan and so forth.

I dont think so! Saddam was more like Gadaffi than Mubarak and lets face it its not over yet and we have to wait and see what kind of government emerges when the dust settles

kai

ragamuffin
I agree. You should go out, kick butt and come home. Soldiers should not be police men.

I agree. It was all down to the Politicians and the post war planning or lack of it. The Armed forces ousted Saddam in record speed a complete success and then the politicians looked at each other with blank faces or inane grins and soiled their pants as all hell broke loose.

Debunker

Do you also believe that the Brotherhood, Hamas, Iran and all other local terrorist will give up and go home?See no evil, hear no evil, do nothing. that is what the guys I just mentioned think of the USA and Obama. What do you really think Iran is up to doing or do you even care?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I dont think so! Saddam was more like Gadaffi than Mubarak and lets face it its not over yet and we have to wait and see what kind of government emerges when the dust settles

That may be, but my point is that the people of Iraq, like the people of the rest of the Middle East, would likely have risen up and deposed Hussein without being invaded, had we let them. And however many might have died in the effort, it couldn't be anything like the 600,000 or so killed by the invasion.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Do you also believe that the Brotherhood, Hamas, Iran and all other local terrorist will give up and go home?See no evil, hear no evil, do nothing. that is what the guys I just mentioned think of the USA and Obama. What do you really think Iran is up to doing or do you even care?

No, I don't. That's how we know Bush screwed up so badly--he didn't attack any of them. Like an idiot, he attacked someone who had nothing whatsoever to do with them. What a ding-dong. As a result, Iran, Saudi Arabia, the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Qaeda are all greatly strengthened. Especially Iran. We did their dirty work for them. What an idiot.

kai

ragamuffin
That may be, but my point is that the people of Iraq, like the people of the rest of the Middle East, would likely have risen up and deposed Hussein without being invaded, had we let them. And however many might have died in the effort, it couldn't be anything like the 600,000 or so killed by the invasion.

600,000 weren't killed by the invasion! they were killed by the fighting for domination by armed sunni and shia groups in the aftermath of the fall of Saddam , that, you are saying would have happened anyway.

You could say "well at least we would have been clear of it" but would we have intervened if Saddam starting massacering people again like he did in 91 when we betrayed the Shia,should we have? Its hard to imagine such a thing without western governments lending support but they are too craven .

Look at Gadaffi slaughtering people and all we do is suggest possible sanctions such as travel bans and asset freezes or suspend Libya from the UN Human Rights Council.(thats a good one)---- more shame on us!

Western governments are paralyzed and scared to death of commitment all because of the lack of planning for the post Saddam Iraq.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, you are not a citizen of this country either and besides this, the Muslim Terrorist have taken credit for 9/11. What you say appears to be blind anti-Americanism. It is unfair to disrespect America as such as much as it has done to protect your freedoms. If you think terrorism can not reach down under, you best think again.

I don't know why you said any of the above. You are making arguments that have nothing to do with what I said.
And protect my freedoms? Erm...

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So? Would you let somebody threaten your daddy? GWB's dad was the President of the USA. When you try to kill the President of the USA, what do you expect?

You don't waste large amounts of money, resources and lives for the sake of some childish vendetta.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It worked too. :yes:

Let's get to the heart of the matter. Many people where pleased we finished what his daddy started. 41 listened to what the UN had to say and pulled back.

Many folks don't care for a one world government and supported 43 for telling the world to kiss our butt.

I personally believe we just wanted a strategic position near Iran and it all was just a farce with fringe benefits hanging Saddam.

Liberals are just upset that they took the bait and gave 43 the power to go back to Iraq.

I'm maintaining it has had to do with Iran all along. Obama should have ended the war by now. I believe even he sees something the rest of us do not know of.

Personally I don't want any war to last ten years. For Obama to still be there is very telling.

Do you think the monetary cost, the damage to U.S. integrity and credibility, plus the lost lives of coalition troops and innocent civilians was worth it?

kai

ragamuffin
Do you think the monetary cost, the damage to U.S. integrity and credibility, plus the lost lives of coalition troops and innocent civilians was worth it?

If I may

If your talking about the war against Saddam then yes.

If your talking about Policy makers having probably no plans whatsoever for "what happens after" and the idea of putting thousands of troops into the role of policing Iraq afterwards then a resounding NO.