• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone still believe that the war in Iraq was justified?

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Had a thought.....

If Saddam had not been defeated and so eliminating the fear of him by the other gulf states.
Would the present Arab civil revolts have taken place.

Sadam needed to have his ability to invade others stopped. For him to have been personally eliminated, preferably legally would have probably been sufficient

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The US ousted Saddam and what followed was not foreseen and i dont know why! someone should be held accountable for not knowing it would descend into civil war and that the coalition was not prepared for it doing so.
I never believed saddam was in legue with Alqueda. but Saddam was in league with other terrorist groups for decades and its well documented, groups such as Abu Nidal group and The Palestine Liberation front amongst others. Its well known his support for suicide bombers and even paid the families of "Martyrs" The murderer Abu Abbas even held an Iraqi diplomatic passport.

Some people hold the US responsible for every death in Iraq since ousting Saddam i do not. The ousting of Saddam was a golden opportunity for Iraqis unfortunately Civil war ensued and coalition troops were in the unenviable position of acting as Policemen. that should not have happened.

Well let's think really hard. We invade your country and occupy it. What do you think the reaction will be? Historic ethnic hostilities are repressed by a brutal dictator. What might happen if we remove the lid from the pot?

kai

ragamuffin
Well let's think really hard. We invade your country and occupy it. What do you think the reaction will be? Historic ethnic hostilities are repressed by a brutal dictator. What might happen if we remove the lid from the pot?

are you speaking with hindsight here? because i dont know about you, but i had no idea it would be that bad. unprecedented i would say. Absolute hell on Earth. we removed the lid and replace it with coalition troops but the pot had already boiled over.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
are you speaking with hindsight here? because i dont know about you, but i had no idea it would be that bad. unprecedented i would say. Absolute hell on Earth. we removed the lid and replace it with coalition troops but the pot had already boiled over.

I opposed it because it violated International Law. I don't remember what I thought about what would happen afterward. I know that they fired a guy for giving an estimated cost of IIRC $2 billion, and it has turned out to cost over a trillion. Rumsfeld refused to listen to anyone who wanted to tell him there would be problems. He actually told them that if anyone wanted to give him any negative information, he would fire them.

A

angellous_evangellous

I opposed it because it violated International Law. I don't remember what I thought about what would happen afterward. I know that they fired a guy for giving an estimated cost of IIRC $2 billion, and it has turned out to cost over a trillion. Rumsfeld refused to listen to anyone who wanted to tell him there would be problems. He actually told them that if anyone wanted to give him any negative information, he would fire them.

I thought that it was un-American to launch a pre-imptive strike on a country that posed no threat to us. Bush followed up on this by publicly supporting unlawful arrest and torture.

What the Bush administration did is unforgivable.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It would be a mistake to condemn a president for doing business with thugs without thorough analysis. As past wars have shown,
the greatest good sometimes results from cooperating with unsavory types. Compared to other presidents, Reagan looks pretty
good....& I voted against him.

Do you think so even when you remember that he pardoned Oliver North?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Do you think the monetary cost, the damage to U.S. integrity and credibility, plus the lost lives of coalition troops and innocent civilians was worth it?

I've made my statement, no war should last ten years.

If you would be so kind, please give me your opinion of why Obama has not brought everyone home yet?

A

angellous_evangellous

I've made my statement, no war should last ten years.

If you would be so kind, please give me your opinion of why Obama has not brought everyone home yet?

The mess the Bush administration takes a good while to clean up.

If Obama pulls out everyone too fast, he's criticized for irresponsibility.

If he pulls out too slow, he's criticized for not stopping the war.

HOWEVER, Obama has pulled all combat troops out of Iraq, significantly reducing the amount of troops. And he did it on precisely the time table that he set.

And he never (to my knowledge) claimed to end the war in Afghanistan on a similarly aggressive schedule.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Holy crap you're a tea bagger.
As far as I want less government intrusion in my life and would like to pay the least taxes as possible.:yes:

You won't see me in a video with a swastika sign or making racist remarks. :no:

I live in Kentucky where my Senators are Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul and we are proud of them.:sorry1:

A

angellous_evangellous

As far as I want less government intrusion in my life and would like to pay the least taxes as possible.:yes:

You won't see me in a video with a swastika sign or making racist remarks. :no:

I live in Kentucky where my Senators are Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul and we are proud of them.:sorry1:

Really? Rand Paul?!

Rand is an embarrassment to the integrity of democracy. He's a wacko. I guess people voted for him for shock value? :shrug:

At least McConnell is sane.

kai

ragamuffin

the legality the preemptive nature of the invasion is all debatable . I am of the opinion that if Iraq didn't descend into civil war then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. I think if the civil handover to another authority took place in a relatively peaceful nature without the descent into chaos that we were faced with. people would look at this differently but we are, where we are now.

There were lots of mistakes and reckless and maybe even criminal decisions made. But in my opinion a lot of these were made after the successful removal of Saddam and his regime.

Yes the fact that coalition troops were in the middle of a sectarian civil war was deplorable the loss of life was and is deplorable but lets spread the blame a little the coalition is responsible for removing Saddam and shares a blame with the Iraqis for what came after but not all the blame.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There were lots of mistakes and reckless and maybe even criminal decisions made. But in my opinion a lot of these were made after the successful removal of Saddam and his regime.

Consequences are known to happen after their causes.

kai

ragamuffin
Consequences are known to happen after their causes.

sure ,but follow the consequences and cause back like a paper trail picking them up as you go along ,and they all end way back at the root cause which was Saddam Hussein.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Saddam Hussein was there for decades. He was as much a stabilizing factor as a cause of unease. The invasion removed him without allowing for a proper substitute structure, and that is why people keep dying there.