• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone have difficulty remembering their dreams?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The vast majority of times when sleeping, I awaken from a dream, aware that I had a dream, and then within seconds, can't remember a single thing about the dream. Occasionally, I'll remember parts of a dream, but it's getting rarer and rarer as I get older. But the ones I do remember are some of the strangest dreams.

Do you have trouble remembering dreams, or are they easy for you to remember?

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make it easier to remember dreams?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The vast majority of times when sleeping, I awaken from a dream, aware that I had a dream, and then within seconds, can't remember a single thing about the dream. Occasionally, I'll remember parts of a dream, but it's getting rarer and rarer as I get older. But the ones I do remember are some of the strangest dreams.

I sometimes remember dreams pretty well...most of the time, not so much. The last few years, much of my REM sleep seems to be semi-conscious, in that I'm aware that I'm dreaming, but I can't usually do much to affect what's going on. Any significant effort to affect the dream results in waking up, if only briefly. I've heard suggestions about improving and remembering dreams, but I've never had much success at journaling or the like.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That sounds very much like my experience.
I don't usually remember dreams, and if I do I usually forget them pretty fast after I wake up.
I don't but I'd like to hear if anyone does.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Most times when i waken i am not even aware that i dreamed. And would confidently claim that I don't dream, though now i understand that we all dream during REM sleep

Occasionally i will wake from a dream, I remember the outline or important point of the dream while waking then its gone just leaving a few moments feeling that i woke from a dream.

Very occasionally now (It was much more often in the past) i will wake terrified and screaming from a recurring nightmare of a terrible period in my life. I wish i could forget that so easily.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've read ways to practice remembering dreams but I've forgotten the details. ;)

There are a very few I remember because they were highly significant. I also remember generally repeating dreams - they point to issues that have significance.

David1967

Premium Member

I go through cycles it seems. Sometimes I will remember my dreams for several nights and then, like last night, I awake with an awareness that I had a dream but only remember small fragments of it. Now once in a while I have a very vivid dream in which I am aware that I am dream. I remember those.

vijeno

Keep a notebook by the bedside. Preferrably real, physical, pen and paper. Jot the dreams down as soon as you can. Doesn't even matter much if you can't read them later (unless you want to use the notebook as a diary of course). The act of writing, it seems, tells your brain that this is important. It might take a while, but then you will start to remember them.

Also, try to first remember them before you move. A lot of people say that the first movement triggers the dream amnesia.

I have a rather extensive dream diary. These days I keep it online, so the physical notebook seems to only be necessary until you "get it".

I came to a point where I had to stop writing them down, because I remembered several dreams each night, and it became too much.

Interestingly, my dream memory fades when I don't focus on it for a while. The only ones I keep remembering, are nightmares and other very intense ones.

We Never Know

No Slack

Many times I dream, I forget it when I wake up but hours later something will trigger it and then I remember parts of it.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's a common thing to forget dreams real quick.

I've done that myself and wish I had retained some info on my dreams.

A lot of people in science , especially sleep studies , recommend you keep a notebook and paper nearby to write down the account of your dreams once you wake up while the memory is still fresh in your mind.

That way when you forget , you can look back and see what you wrote down

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There are dreams I remember perfectly even after days the dream has taken place.
There are dreams I cannot remember even after waking up.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Spontaneously, without intervention? Cause that only ever happens to me if it's a nightmare and I wake up screaming.
Yes. They are very weird dreams. Not nightmares, So weird I can remember perfectly.
Even today I can describe them.