• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does anyone ever have the right to harm someone else?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Sadly, Lilithu, in the real world, to put it bluntly, might does make right.
Sadly, MediumSizedWhiteGuy, in the real world, I agree this is often how it turns out. But religion and ethics are about our highest ideals, not our lowest actions, how things should be, not how they are. I would rather set the bar high knowing that I will fall short most of the time, than set the bar to the lowest common denominator.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
lilithu said:
Sadly, MediumSizedWhiteGuy, in the real world, I agree this is often how it turns out. But religion and ethics are about our highest ideals, not our lowest actions, how things should be, not how they are. I would rather set the bar high knowing that I will fall short most of the time, than set the bar to the lowest common denominator.
Frubals for once again being the eloquent voice to the thoughts in my mind already! I want to work toward the real world where these things the norm!

Aqualung

Tasty
Darkdale said:
Violence isn't innately bad. This debate is bouncing back and forth without an agreed premise. I don't believe that violence is bad. Violence is a hammer. When you are hammering nails it's good, when you are hammering someone's toes one by one until they tell you the secret location of the microfilm, thats bad.
That's an awesome analogy with the hammer. But I have to spread my frubals around...:banghead3

linwood

lilithu said:
I would follow Gandhi's example and refrain from violence even when it's commited against me.
Lilithu, Ghandi didn`t always advocate passive resistance.
He was clear in at least one historical situation I know of that he did not in the least advocate it.
I think he felt their were times when it was the best route but their were times when it could lead to destruction.

History is evidence in support of this viewpoint.

EDIT:

My apologies.
I`m apparently putting words in Ghandis mouth.
I remembered reading his essay on Palestine and the German persecution of the Jews some years ago and apparently took the wrong intent from it.
After making the above statement I went to read it again.
Ghandi did advocate passive resistence for the German persecution of the Jews.

I stand by my final sentence that history is evidence that non-passive resistence would have been better for them.
It seems to my mind that Ghandi was waaaay wrong in this instance considering the passivity of the Jews only aided their extermination.

Here`s the essay..

http://www.kamat.com/mmgandhi/mideast.htm

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Jensa said:
Do they if... they make you mad? Hurt someone you love? Hurt you?

Is there ever a time when someone has the right to harm another person? If they do, is it right?
Hi Jensa,

I think that you may have been thinking more about social issues than physical violence. Physical vioence is a no brainer in as much as if it is not is self defense then it is wrong, and it is even wrong to go too far and not stop when the threat has been dealt with.

On the social front, my experience is that a great many people do not consider whether their actions may hurt another. Our society is very self absorbed and many don't balance their rights with the rights of others. Just look at how people drive. Of course there is another element that is prevalent in society and that is knee jerk over-sensitivity. Has someone violated another's rights by merely saying something they didn't like? Is lashing out at them really justifiable? Were they really hurt in some way at all? With all of the empowerment and self esteem going around I don't see that much in the way of consideration for other people.

Qumran

Darkdale said:
Violence isn't innately bad. This debate is bouncing back and forth without an agreed premise. I don't believe that violence is bad. Violence is a hammer. When you are hammering nails it's good, when you are hammering someone's toes one by one until they tell you the secret location of the microfilm, thats bad.
LOL.... Love the example you give. I agree. "Good" and "bad" is frequently a matter of viewpoint and perspective. Of course, the religious may assert that God establishes a Universal standard of right and wrong, good and bad - I am not disputing that in this post (that's for another post.) - BUT,

Ask a starving lioness whose survival depends upon catching an antelope for herself and cubs... killing it, ripping it to shreds and then eating it...the hunt is "good." On the other hand, ask the antelope... well...sorry, the entelope was unavailable for comment. :D