• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Documentary Hypothesis

I'm sort of lumping higher criticism in general with the documentary theory. To me they are one in the same. Atheists mucking about with the Bible. Poor scholarship, etc. They're the same thing.

Poor scholarship? Why? Dont you think the four schools of thought are utterly different in reading? Even in theological points of view?

But I would like to hear your scholarship on this.

I'm sort of lumping higher criticism in general with the documentary theory. To me they are one in the same. Atheists mucking about with the Bible. Poor scholarship, etc. They're the same thing.

Hmm. let me ask you something brother. Do you think Isaac ibn Yashush was an atheist?

Atheists have their own ideology, but scholarship cant be just put aside like that blaming on atheism. And you are wrong. This was not atheistic scholarship, it was just people. Mostly Christian and Jewish. Also, just because one is an atheist, you cant blame it on atheism. I know all of us maybe bias, but you cant make presumptions and base your scholarship on that? You have to have reasoning.

There is a lot of issues in the pentateuch when it comes to the assumption that it was was the Torah written by Moses, even Jews were analysing it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, the question isn't whether the texts were written by a single person. They clearly were not. The issue is whether there were several distinct documents that were then merged, whether there were 'fragments' that then were merged, or whether there was a 'core' document that was then supplemented by other fragments.

There is also the question of whether the Yahwist and Elohist portions were original works or compilations of earlier works. I also find it interesting to look at the surrounding Canaanites and other cultures as a guide to why various prohibitions were made (as a way of signaling national identity).

The other thing that is clear is that most of the writing and compilation was done late: well after 700BC and possibly as late as the Hellenistic period (although the earlier Persian period seems more likely).

Wikipedia has a nice overview.

Documentary hypothesis - Wikipedia

Earthling

David Henson
Then I do not see how you can dismiss the evidence I wrote about as mere conjecture. There is nothing remotely unreasonable about the Bible being a written down compilation of older oral traditions and mythologies from various parts of Israel that was done at around 7th century BCE.

There's nothing unreasonable about that being conjectural.

Earthling

David Henson
Poor scholarship? Why? Dont you think the four schools of thought are utterly different in reading? Even in theological points of view?

But I would like to hear your scholarship on this.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Why don't you explain to me what the "four schools of thought are? Typically I think theology is nonsense. Something that sounds as pretentious as "four schools of thought" to explain the Bible is not likely to impress me.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's nonsense. First of all, I don't see it.
Because you are not a trained scholar, and you don't see it, therefore it's nonsense? All of your arguments boil down to this. You can't see it, you can't comprehend it, it doesn't fit how you believe, therefore everyone else is stupid.

I think the answer is quite obvious as to the reason for all of this. And you will never see it because it entails a critical and honest self-examination, which starts with an act of the will, humbling itself in saying, "I don't know. Teach me." The truth is never found through fear, but through a humble openness to truth and knowledge. Anything short of that, is a refusal of faith.

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
Because you are not a trained scholar, and you don't see it, therefore it's nonsense? All of your arguments boil down to this. You can't see it, you can't comprehend it, it doesn't fit how you believe, therefore everyone else is stupid.

I think the answer is quite obvious as to the reason for all of this. And you will never see it because it entails a critical and honest self-examination, which starts with an act of the will, humbling itself in saying, "I don't know. Teach me." The truth is never found through fear, but through a humble openness to truth and knowledge. Anything short of that, is a refusal of faith.

Tell me what the documentary theory is.

Earthling

David Henson
Hmm. let me ask you something brother. Do you think Isaac ibn Yashush was an atheist?

Never heard of him.

Atheists have their own ideology, but scholarship cant be just put aside like that blaming on atheism. And you are wrong. This was not atheistic scholarship, it was just people. Mostly Christian and Jewish. Also, just because one is an atheist, you cant blame it on atheism. I know all of us maybe bias, but you cant make presumptions and base your scholarship on that? You have to have reasoning.

There is a lot of issues in the pentateuch when it comes to the assumption that it was was the Torah written by Moses, even Jews were analysing it.

So what?! Are you not aware of the Jewish and Christian propensity for apostasy? All you have to do is read the Bible. I mean, that's like saying to me, you know, Judas was an apostle so he must have had the right idea, or the Pope supports pederasty and child molestation so there must be something to it. It's stupid. Why do I have to keep saying the word stupid?! Huh?

Earthling

David Henson
Is it when you look in the mirror? Just askin.

:D

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Only if one of you are standing beside me.

Edit to add. When I say people are stupid I can hardly escape the fact that I'm a person. I can be as stupid as the next person. In these cases I'm referring to the ideas that are presented. I can't understand how people can entertain them.

Last edited by a moderator:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So, no documents existed before then? Because they haven't been found?

'Arguing from ignorance' is not evidence. Objective verifiable evidence for aliens, unicorns, Chinese dragons, or Bigfoot, and therefore I have no reason to believe they are real.

I do not say that I am absolutely certain such documents exist, but the evidence at present says no, Also abundant evidence that the Pentateuch is an edited and redacted compilation from different sources, and not the same author confirms the present academic view of the history and origins of the Pentateuch.

The present models of origins compile aspects of the documentary, fragmentary, and supplimentary models as the archaeological text research knowledge increase.

Most scholars today do not accept the documentary hypothesis as a model for the explanation of the origin of the Pentateuch. They actually support an editing, redacting, and compiling process from different sources after ~1000 to 700 BCE.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please? (I'm guessing there is no way you will do that.)

Basic reading of the texts as well as attention to word usage and perspective is quite enough to demonstrate this. Even watching when YHVH is used as opposed to Elohim is enough to show that something strange is going on. But putting the texts into a cultural and historic context is demonstrative here.

This is the exact same technique used for *any* other historical document, ancient or modern. It is quite reliable when done by an expert.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's nothing unreasonable about that being conjectural.
A hypothesis supported by evidence is not a conjecture, no matter how desperately you want it to be.

I asked a simple question, given the textual, archaeological and genetic evidence I have presented, why should I not accept the conclusion that the early parts of the Pentateuch were compiled in the 7th century?

Earthling

David Henson
A hypothesis supported by evidence is not a conjecture, no matter how desperately you want it to be.

I asked a simple question, given the textual, archaeological and genetic evidence I have presented, why should I not accept the conclusion that the early parts of the Pentateuch were compiled in the 7th century?

Because you weren't there. Producing a well thought out paper and lists of scholars that speculate on the subject doesn't change it from being conjecture. You say something like Moses didn't write the Pentateuch. We don't know who wrote it or when exactly . . . is conjecture. So a hypothesis supported by evidence is more often than not, conjectural.

At one point higher critics took the same position on Egyptian slaves. It couldn't have been. No evidence for it. Then they found evidence for it.