• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctor assisted suicide. Are you for it or against it?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Euthanasia for the terminally ill, sure. I wish my mom had that option. I don't think anyone is really suggesting helping suicidal people kill themselves.
Where do you draw the line?
If a conservative Christian man recognized his homosexuality and demanded euthanasia to avoid risking hell, who are you to tell him he can't believe that?
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am now very happy that it was not available after my release from hospital after Traumatic Brain Injury.
Brain injuries are not necessarily terminal, which is the heart of the debate. Even if we had legalized euthanasia, your doctor probably wouldn't have allowed it in your situation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If a conservative Christian man recognized his homosexuality and demanded euthanasia to avoid risking hell, who are you to tell him he can't believe that?
Tom
Except doctors take an oath to help and heal their patients, not aid in their delusions and fantasies.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Except doctors take an oath to help and heal their patients, not aid in their delusions and fantasies.
So another conservative Christian with a medical license, and doesn't think god and hell are delusions or fantasies can give his patient The Shot?
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So another conservative Christian with a medical license, and doesn't think god and hell are delusions or fantasies can give his patient The Shot?
Tom
Then I would hope the ensuing malpractice would prevent this doctor from every practicing again, and send a clear message to any hopeful doctors that their patients, by necessity, must come before their personal religious beliefs.
I am also assuming the ways the laws would be written would also prevent such a catastrophe, and specifically state such a procedure is only to be done for those who are terminally ill.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Although this right's not codified,
I'm for assisted suicide.
Our lives belong
to us along
with right to end it, dignified.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Tom
I said "terminally ill", like advanced cancer or the last stages of AIDS. Being a self-hating gay man is not "terminally ill".

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I am also assuming the ways the laws would be written would also prevent such a catastrophe,
You mean, the way you assume that Hoosier law will be written to prevent catastrophe? Like religious freedom of Christian people balanced with that of queers?
Tom

Flame

Beware
For it. Sometimes its easier to put someone out of their misery then to let them suffer for years.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
Brain injuries are not necessarily terminal, which is the heart of the debate. Even if we had legalized euthanasia, your doctor probably wouldn't have allowed it in your situation.

Quality of life issues are the consideration for euthanasia,
there is little quality when you find yourself just a mind in a totally unresponsive body.
and when the prognosis is total and permanent disability needing care for what remains of life.

thank HaShem for the stubbornness to prove the doctors wrong ...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
and specifically state such a procedure is only to be done for those who are terminally ill.

Out of curiosity what about non-terminal but untreatable illnesses which drastically reduce quality of life? If you can write a dnr to prevent a vegetative state, why not doctor assisted suicide? There are also non-terminal illnesses, disorders and injuries which cause debilitating pain which are sometimes untreatable.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I think everyone has the right to take their own life and don't really have a problem with someone else performing a mercy killing on them, if that is their wish. Definitely wouldn't want laws in place so that I am pitching in towards it financially or medical staff is required to carry it out.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I support its possibility. Though, a desire for suicide can be both/either a symptom and a reasoned conclusion. It is best to absolutely clear which is which before proceeding.