• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Doctor assisted suicide. Are you for it or against it?

Recently, I had to write a paper on a controversial topic. I searched abortion, GLBT relationships/marraiges, drugs, etc and I ended up reverting to doctor assisted suicide. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If someone is suffering, and there suffering is terminal, I see no reason to deny it. We euthanize our pets who are suffering, and it seems obvious that we should have the option for ourselves.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Well..................................

I was a police officer for over 22 years and SAW what I KNOW were doctor assisted
suicides.
Back in the day when a few docs would still make house calls there was a poor
kid of about 15 suffering from a painful & fatal malady.
I don't recall what it was.
When the family called for transport to remove the poor kid when he died police
were notified.
Standard procedures.
I saw 5 or 6 empty, used, syringes of morphine near the kids body.
I have NO doubt the doc left them there for the boy.
I trashed them and never included one word about it in my report.
I'm pretty sure the boys family knew that also and were probably and sadly
relieved the boys suffering ended.
Decades ago my grandfather was dying at home from bowel cancer and he begged
my dad for a gun and one bullet.
Dad nor no one else would give him a gun and later they regretted that.
I have no opinions on such but I don't want to die suffering either.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think it is a complex moral question that our old moral codes are not up to facing.
Where do you see the complexity? As with many moral issues there are several factors that have to be considered, but I don't see them as being so troublesome as to prevent a reasonable conclusion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Where do you see the complexity?
If an insurance company finds that lowering the pain meds they will pay for reduces the number of expensive patients they have to pay for, it will be profitable for investors to increase the pain of the old and the sick.
That is just one way that the current codes don't take the whole human situation into account.

It's what you don't expect that gets you.
Tom

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
Not sure. Maybe. At what point should a person be considered suicidal enough that the doctor should be permitted to assist them? If they're just afraid of the pain of death then maybe they aren't suicidal enough.

I just think that its a little too easy for a doctor to assassinate someone and then say they requested assistance. What if the patient's family leans on the doctor in order to gain an inheritance? This will happen.

Perhaps we should approach this with the witch-ducking test. Dunk the person and if they float they're not suicidal. (not serious about that)

DeepShadow

White Crow
I think it's a lot more complex than just a "yes" or "no" issue. I've seen statistics suggesting that over 50% of people in the ICU suffer from ICU psychosis, which can include suicidal depression, and that a form of it can persist out of the ICU for people who need continuous medical care. People who are suicidally depressed need help for that state of mind before we let them choose to end their lives. We have people petitioning for their respirators to be turned off because "[they] have not quality of life" when you have someone with the exact same medical needs and limitations who is gainfully employed as a college professors, with romantic prospects and an active social life.

OTOH, there are other medical issues where a person's future would just be unending pain. Bone cancer comes to mind. Because of such conditions, I will support a person's right to end their life in theory, but we need to be careful how it is implemented, lest we allow people to end their lives because it's just cheaper than improving their lives.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just think that its a little too easy for a doctor to assassinate someone and then say they requested assistance.
Generally speaking, at least in America, you are given a medication that you have to take that will overdose you and kill you, allowing you to slip into unconsciousness and then death. The doctors aren't injecting you via IV and there are no family to pressure a doctor as the patient must consent and take the medication themselves.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
If an insurance company finds that lowering the pain meds they will pay for reduces the number of expensive patients they have to pay for, it will be profitable for investors to increase the pain of the old and the sick.
That is just one way that the current codes don't take the whole human situation into account.

It's what you don't expect that gets you.
Tom

That is a valid issue, probably one of several that needs to be taken into consideration; but here in America, at least, I think we spend way to much effort on keeping people alive for as long as we can, postponing the inevitable, no matter the quality of that extended life. To me, it's okay if that is what the individual chooses, but we make it difficult for the individual to choose otherwise.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That is a valid issue, probably one of several that needs to be taken into consideration; but here in America, at least, I think we spend way to much effort on keeping people alive for as long as we can, postponing the inevitable, no matter the quality of that extended life. To me, it's okay if that is what the individual chooses, but we make it difficult for the individual to choose otherwise.
That reminds me of an article I read maybe a month or two ago about that issue, in regards to cancer treatment, and how we need to focus more on hospice and end-of-life and letting the patient work with the reality of their near death, rather than trying to squeeze out a couple extra weeks, months, or years despite the quality of life not really improving from the need for constant treatment than can be very hard and physically and mentally taxing on the patient.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Euthanasia for the terminally ill, sure. I wish my mom had that option. I don't think anyone is really suggesting helping suicidal people kill themselves.
Totally agree. However that seems to be suggested in the wording of the title. Just refusing medical intervention, which has always been the law here Canada, I think, could be considered passive euthanasia. I'm for refusing medical help, including food, but not active stuff. Fasting to death has long been a part of Hinduism.

See prayopavesa.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
I think it's a lot more complex than just a "yes" or "no" issue. I've seen statistics suggesting that over 50% of people in the ICU suffer from ICU psychosis, which can include suicidal depression, and that a form of it can persist out of the ICU for people who need continuous medical care. People who are suicidally depressed need help for that state of mind before we let them choose to end their lives. We have people petitioning for their respirators to be turned off because "[they] have not quality of life" when you have someone with the exact same medical needs and limitations who is gainfully employed as a college professors, with romantic prospects and an active social life.

OTOH, there are other medical issues where a person's future would just be unending pain. Bone cancer comes to mind. Because of such conditions, I will support a person's right to end their life in theory, but we need to be careful how it is implemented, lest we allow people to end their lives because it's just cheaper than improving their lives.

I am now very happy that it was not available after my release from hospital after Traumatic Brain Injury.
Finding myself essentially incapable of function, terribly depressed by my condition, i would have demanded
the option, however with very hard work i dragged myself to complete recovery, 2 more degrees, full time
employment and independence ...