• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think seeking the truth is the same as seeking God?

HoldemDB9

Doesn't the Bible say something like "those who truly seek God but don't find him can still be saved"? I might be wrong about this, please tell me if I am, because this thread may be pointless.

So my question (mainly for Christians) is, Do you see someone who his seeking the truth as someone who is seeking God and therefore can still be saved, even if they end up not believing?

Its just that its pretty obvious that there are millions and millions of people who are trying a lot harder than hundreds of millions of Christians. It just does not sound right or fair that those who tried less but happened to be right, get the reward - whereas those who tried more, but happened to be wrong, get the punishment. I don't believe that God will punish and reward us based on luck.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Hey, Holdem, hope you don't mind me butting in again. ;)
So my question (mainly for Christians) is, Do you see someone who his seeking the truth as someone who is seeking God and therefore can still be saved, even if they end up not believing?
Well, I don't believe in salvation or damnation, but I do believe the pursuit of understanding is a holy one. I also believe that if I am wrong about the whole salvation/ damnation thing, any God who would condemn me for doing the best I could with the tools I was given is unworthy at best. I don't buy into the whole might-makes-right morality. Any God who is my moral inferior gets no glorification from me.

Its just that its pretty obvious that there are millions and millions of people who are trying a lot harder than hundreds of millions of Christians. It just does not sound right or fair that those who tried less but happened to be right, get the reward - whereas those who tried more, but happened to be wrong, get the punishment. I don't believe that God will punish and reward us based on luck.
ITA.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.

Essentially you're asking "does Truth = God?" no?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Doesn't the Bible say something like "those who truly seek God but don't find him can still be saved"? I might be wrong about this, please tell me if I am, because this thread may be pointless.

I don't recognize this sentiment from anything I've seen in the gospels, but it was expressed by Justin Martyre in 2 Apologies (somewhere between 20-22, if I remember).

I agree with it myself. If someone is sincerely seeking Truth, even willing to reject whatever concept of God they were brought up with in order to do so, I think they're going to wind up closer to the truth then someone who just accepts someone else's version of it with out really considering it.

One thing Jesus did say (according to the Gospel of John) is , "I am the way, and the truth, and the life...".

I think an acceptable interpretation of that is, "Call me any of these things, ie., if your concept of God is Truth itself, without assigning it any other name or any other characteristics---good enough".

In other words (IMO) if someone who doesn't identify with any kind of dogma or doctrine just decides to devote their life to seeing things for what they are to whatever extent they're capable of, they're on the right path.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I have to ask, what truth? what is God? and saved from what?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The TRUTH!!(is in the pudding)..What is GOD??(God is the good side of us)Saved from what???(the fiery pit of HELL!!)

Love

Dallas

The truth spelled with capital letters is.. what? ;)

God is the good side of us...? - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil" :yes:

saved from the fiery pit of hell? there are much dangers to maneuver from in this plane without believing in imps, pitchforks, and lakes of fire :p

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The truth spelled with capital letters is.. what? ;)

God is the good side of us...? - "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil" :yes:

saved from the fiery pit of hell? there are much dangers to maneuver from in this plane without believing in imps, pitchforks, and lakes of fire :p

O.K .....you win.....:D

Love

Dallas