• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you think one day books will be obsolete?

pearl

I certainly hope not. Neither the net nor kindle does not take the place of getting comfy with an actual book.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
No, just librarians...

Books on file might be gaining popularity, but there are still a lot of materials that simply can't be read that way. I would say the majority of my library is not available as ebook. I think you'll be stuck with them for awhile longer.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
To be the annoying one - yes, I do think they will become obsolete - apart from for the very few who might hang on to them and cherish them - for as long as they are obtainable. But where any descendants might then sell them off - given they will either be dumped in the trash if not worth much or seen as museum pieces and being valuable. :oops:

Let's face it, before long we will have devices at our disposal which could contain every book we might ever want to read, with every reference within also then available, and even if not stored on the device, they will be instantly available via streaming. Such that the sheer convenience will take away the book options - apart from those alive now and who refuse to change - like me, given I haven't any such devices, and I buy books at a discount. :D

Plus of course videos might be embedded and sound of course. So which will win? :oops:

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I love books but have to admit that I have been very unfaithful to them the last few years. The tablet doesn't require turning on the bedside light and waking the wife so I can stay in bed and read when insomnia strikes and I can make the font as large as I like so no need to put on glasses.

Heyo

Veteran Member
For Jews that would be at least weekly.
Good example. Maybe Christians will save the book from becoming totally obsolete. And maybe the neo pagans, I guess keeping a book of shadows on a computer is somewhat sacrilegious.
On the other hand, there are record keeping methods that have gone out of fashion. My guess is that no-one today is using clay tablets.

jbg

They still sell record players at Walmart among other stores.

8 track though..... ehh.
Ditto cassettes and even CD's. When a song pops into my head I personally play it on the record player on a line-feed into my computer, and then listen to the MP3 on the computer or my iPhone. I get the best of both worlds.
For Jews that would be at least weekly.
Good one. :)