• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you see other human beings as enemy?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

Because viewing other human beings as the competition is one of our primary instincts. If someone claims to have somehow risen above these instincts, or at least gotten them under control to the point where they played a minimal role in the way they interacted with other people, I would be skeptical of that too, but I would open to letting them demonstrate the validity of the claim.

On the other hand, to claim to be completely unfamiliar with these instincts, to the point of claiming not to be able to understand the power they have over people, . . .

All I can say is either you aren't from this planet, or you have some sort of mutation that causes your brain chemistry to act differently from the rest of us.

Timothy Spurlin

Any one who digresses a lot from society's norm takes the risk of being bullied. Your case is nothing compared to mine. I was bullied by the UK State for 20 years. I also forgive them as I think of living only in this country with my pension and the good jobs that my wife and daughters have to bring to the home money to go along with my pension. My survival is the revenge they deserve and I have survived with my dharma, from a dependence on God Consciousness.

Can you prove that god is real? Which god are you talking about?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because viewing other human beings as the competition is one of our primary instincts. If someone claims to have somehow risen above these instincts, or at least gotten them under control to the point where they played a minimal role in the way they interacted with other people, I would be skeptical of that too, but I would open to letting them demonstrate the validity of the claim.

On the other hand, to claim to be completely unfamiliar with these instincts, to the point of claiming not to be able to understand the power they have over people, . . .

All I can say is either you aren't from this planet, or you have some sort of mutation that causes your brain chemistry to act differently from the rest of us.
I have cultivated Buddhism for more then 20 years with meditation mostly every day. and my mind is more or less empty of thoughts i am not interested in thinking. Yes i live a mote secluded lifestyle then most people who are not Monks, but i have dedicated my life to the lifestyle i live.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I have cultivated Buddhism for more then 20 years with meditation mostly every day. and my mind is more or less empty of thoughts i am not interested in thinking. Yes i live a mote secluded lifestyle then most people who are not Monks, but i have dedicated my life to the lifestyle i live.

I learned how to walk when I was somewhere around 1 year old. That means I've been walking every day of my life for almost 6 decades now.

But when I see a toddler having trouble taking their first steps, I can still understand why they fall from time to time.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I learned how to walk when I was somewhere around 1 year old. That means I've been walking every day of my life for almost 6 decades now.

But when I see a toddler having trouble taking their first steps, I can still understand why they fall from time to time.
I understand why people hate, or get mad, but i also know it is because of their attachments to the situation that highten their hate and anger, When one has no attachments to Anger and hate one see that the anger and hate only lead to more suffering. so one let it go

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Because viewing other human beings as the competition is one of our primary instincts.
Surely it's way more complex than that. We are, after all, a highly social animal, and that means that we also
have a strong instinct to trust and rely on others for support and succour. Yes, we also compete for scarce resources, as all animals do, but we humans discovered a very long time ago that we do that much better working together. After all, we are not only competing against other humans, or other human groups, but against other animals, insects and even funghi that want what we want.

We were, no doubt, once very tribal, very small tribal groups that competed with other tribal groups. But then, those groups learned how to cooperate, and became small communities, eventually towns, cities, even nations.
If someone claims to have somehow risen above these instincts, or at least gotten them under control to the point where they played a minimal role in the way they interacted with other people, I would be skeptical of that too, but I would open to letting them demonstrate the validity of the claim.
How many examples of fantastic cooperation among complex groups would you need? History, after all, is replete with them. How about such simple examples as Medecins Sans Frontieres, or perhaps the elimination of smallpox?

To be familiar with our instincts -- on both sides, because you forgot our instinct for cooperation, at least locally -- simply means that we can then include that familiarity in how we reason.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I understand why people hate, or get mad, but i also know it is because of their attachments to the situation that highten their hate and anger, When one has no attachments to Anger and hate one see that the anger and hate only lead to more suffering. so one let it go

If you understand why people hate then you should understand why some people see some other people as their enemy.

Also, bear in mind that it's possible to see someone as your enemy without hating them, or even having any sort of negative emotion aimed their way. It's just something along the lines of a necessary classification in light of an understandable desire to avoid the probable negative nature of the impact their liable to have on your life.

It's even possible to love your enemies, although it's always advisable to do it from a nice safe distance. :D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you understand why people hate then you should understand why some people see some other people as their enemy.

Also, bear in mind that it's possible to see someone as your enemy without hating them, or even having any sort of negative emotion aimed their way. It's just something along the lines of a necessary classification in light of an understandable desire to avoid the probable negative nature of the impact their liable to have on your life.

It's even possible to love your enemies, although it's always advisable to do it from a nice safe distance. :D
I have compassion toward all people, also toward those who harm me.
And yes people do see others as their enemy, i choose not to have any enemies

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
i was bullied for 12 years and no i have no hate toward them, and i have no need to get revenge

People who bully and intimidate and condescend don’t realise that they are harming themselves spiritually and creating their own bad karma which punishes them so no need for revenge. The bad karma they have created will backfire on them.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Surely it's way more complex than that. We are, after all, a highly social animal, and that means that we also
have a strong instinct to trust and rely on others for support and succour.

Sure, but those instincts are generally reserved for our family, clan, tribe, country, etc. Depending on the circumstances, anything/anyone outside of those spheres --- especially anyone perceived as a threat --- is still the enemy.

Yes, we also compete for scarce resources, as all animals do, but we humans discovered a very long time ago that we do that much better working together.

We did discover that a long time ago, then we forgot.:D The social construct of our hunter/gatherer forebears was indeed based on cooperation--- the individual's main concern was the provision for, defense of, and continuation of the tribe --- , but the sub-structure of Civilization is based on competition ---- the accumulation of personal wealth and power. For the most part, we're right back to where we were before we left the forest: the strong still eat the weak here.

After all, we are not only competing against other humans, or other human groups, but against other animals, insects and even funghi that want what we want.

Yes, but until recently none of that could be viewed as any sort of cooperative effort by the species as a whole. For most of our history, advances in technology and agriculture were mostly a byproduct of interaction based on trade.

We were, no doubt, once very tribal, very small tribal groups that competed with other tribal groups. But then, those groups learned how to cooperate, and became small communities, eventually towns, cities, even nations.

IMO, it isn't so much that they learned to do any of this as it is that they were either forced or manipulated into it by a self-appointed elite.

How many examples of fantastic cooperation among complex groups would you need? History, after all, is replete with them. How about such simple examples as Medecins Sans Frontieres, or perhaps the elimination of smallpox?

(will have to google that. :D) but as far as small pox, sure interaction by the global sceniticifc community has been responsible for adnces that never would have been possible otherwise,

Then again, it was only a couple of generations before Salk's vaccine the the US military was purposely distributing smallpox infected blankets to Native Americans (who they weren't at war with).

To be familiar with our instincts -- on both sides, because you forgot our instinct for cooperation,

Nope, didn't forget it. Just acknowledging that it doesn't negate our other instincts.

at least locally -- simply means that we can then include that familiarity in how we reason.

Hopefully.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
so.....you've never?
had a total stranger.....walk up to you....and without a word spoken

shove a fist in your eye socket as if to knock you down

I grew up in a bad neighborhood

your fellowman is not to be trusted

no

not at all

call me a cynic if you care to

quilty

for cause

That happens, but it does not mean we have to hate, or think they are the enemy.

Most likely they have faced injustice themselves and have not learnt how to accept differences.

Regards Tony

Cassandra

The normal answer i have gotten when ask is, Because they hate the other people. But why they hate is something they can not answer clearly
An enemy is not someone you necessarily hate, it rather is someone you believe to hate you.
This can be either factual or delusional. The latter is the difference between a healthy/sound and a sick/weakened mind. When one feels wronged by someone it is not difficult to tell why one hates someone. But when one wrongs other people, one feels hated, and one starts hating in return. Then it becomes difficult to say why one hates people. That is why evil doers feel hated the most of all people.