• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you like flies? I don't.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not really all that effective on mosquitos. More of a false comfort to the owners that hear other insects getting zapped and think mosquitos.

The ones I've seen have these ultra-violet lights which somehow attract the bugs, but I never gave much thought to how they work.

I remember visiting some other relatives in Louisiana, in a swampy area. I realized that nature provides built-in protections against mosquitoes down there: Dragonflies. We were sitting outside and there were dragonflies hovering close by, waiting for mosquitoes to come and bite us. Those dragonflies were like hungry watchdogs.

Audie

Veteran Member
People pretend to love and respect God but
when it comes to His works, that He pronounced to be good, well that's another matter.
Hey, no disrespect to pick and choose which to love or hate or wantonly destroy.

It's no less disrespectful and barbaric of non
Christians or.atheists, if maybe a bit less hypocritical.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
when it comes to His works, that He pronounced to be good, well that's another matter.
Hey, no disrespect to pick and choose which to love or hate or wantonly destroy.

That may be true for some things. I wouldn't advocate wanton destruction of any species, but I draw the line inside the house. I don't want bugs inside. It's not really a huge problem for me, as I rarely have to deal with them that much.

Mosquitoes can also be a problem if they're carrying any kind of disease. There are good reasons to keep some insects and other pests under control.

Gargovic Malkav

Perhaps that's one of the reasons why Christians often say that we are all sinners.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't really now, but they entertained me when I was a kid. I used to catch them and put them in my room. I named them all Daryl.
This made me laugh. There’s a touch of Spike Milligan or Monty Python about you.

Reminded me of Pink Floyd:”I’ve got a mouse and he hasn’t got a house. I don’t know why I call him Gerald.”

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
This made me laugh. There’s a touch of Spike Milligan or Monty Python about you.

Reminded me of Pink Floyd:”I’ve got a mouse and he hasn’t got a house. I don’t know why I call him Gerald.”

Monty Python is one of those things I feel I should get around to watching one of these days, but it hasn't happened yet. Someone did show me the killer bunny clip recently, though.

When I had a mouse, he did have a house. Actually, I had a few mice. Amongst my favorites were JD, who would sit on my knee and eat his dinner while I ate mine. I shared my meal with him. Sadly, another mouse killed him. Also, there was Carlos, an obese grey mouse with a white stipe on his nose. He was slow moving and laid back. One of my cats(back when I only had a few cats) knocked his cage down. While that didn't kill him, and the cat didn't get him, he got under the fridge. Unbeknownst to me, the landlord had put mouse poison under there, and that was the end of Carlos.

That was a long time ago... I don't think I've had a mouse in close to a decade.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Could be worse. Could be skeeters.
Tho for some blessed reason, this season was low on both.
Maybe there is a god.
na....

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
The worst insect problem I experienced was during the summer our dog became the host of a world of fleas. The dog was sensitive to flea bites and would go crazy scratching. We would spread a bed sheet on the floor of our basement as the back door opened into the basement. The dog would only have to be out less than 5 minutes to do its business and when she came back in we would comb out her coat on the white sheet. We would get to see fleas that fell off her and try to kill them. It was hard to catch them as they are great jumpers and when they jump they disappear. The fleas would bite my wife and me also......We ended up getting the house "bombed" by the exterminator. That was an ordeal in itself. There is a protocol to get the house bombed and we had to leave the house for about 4 hours, taking the dog along with us. We had to wash the dog a certain way before taking her with us and we could not let the dog out of the car during our away-from-home wait.....They have to bomb the house because fleas make a home in your house usually near where the dog sleeps. They then jump back on the host to feed and lay eggs. Then they jump off the host and stay in the house.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Monty Python is one of those things I feel I should get around to watching one of these days, but it hasn't happened yet. Someone did show me the killer bunny clip recently, though.

When I had a mouse, he did have a house. Actually, I had a few mice. Amongst my favorites were JD, who would sit on my knee and eat his dinner while I ate mine. I shared my meal with him. Sadly, another mouse killed him. Also, there was Carlos, an obese grey mouse with a white stipe on his nose. He was slow moving and laid back. One of my cats(back when I only had a few cats) knocked his cage down. While that didn't kill him, and the cat didn't get him, he got under the fridge. Unbeknownst to me, the landlord had put mouse poison under there, and that was the end of Carlos.

That was a long time ago... I don't think I've had a mouse in close to a decade.
We had Jerry for a couple of winters. We used to see him or her from time to time, scuttling along the skirting board in the hall or in the dining room. I decided so long as there was just one, we could leave it be, but of there were signs of a family we'd have to declare war. But he or she stopped appearing after a bit. There was also an albino rat in the back garden for a few days this summer. No idea what happened to that. Fox, maybe.

Jedster

I use this after issuing several warnings

upload_2022-9-20_9-47-50.jpeg

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
They're alright. Mosquitoes, house, horse, sand and deer flies are not. And bees, wasps and hornets are jerks, too.

Oh yeah. And carpenter ants are little jerks, too.

Bees are the bomb-shizzle.
The rest can bite me. Quite literally at times.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

There is a legendary figure named Francis of Assisi who supposedly loves all of God's creation. The Catholics believe him to be a real person and the founder of an order of monks. He seems a little bit fantastical to me, but there is probably some substance to the legend of him.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
We had Jerry for a couple of winters. We used to see him or her from time to time, scuttling along the skirting board in the hall or in the dining room. I decided so long as there was just one, we could leave it be, but of there were signs of a family we'd have to declare war. But he or she stopped appearing after a bit. There was also an albino rat in the back garden for a few days this summer. No idea what happened to that. Fox, maybe.

Jerry sounds cute!

At the first house I moved into after leaving home, we had a lone mouse. I don't remember what we named him, but he'd come out any time anyone played the guitar. . He was pretty brave, too... I was playing the guitar one day and put it aside, only to see him on the arm of my chair eating my peanuts!

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
God made some people big.
He made some people small.
But then He made flies.
To annoy us all.

Just ask Mike Pence.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There is a legendary figure named Francis of Assisi who supposedly loves all of God's creation. The Catholics believe him to be a real person and the founder of an order of monks. He seems a little bit fantastical to me, but there is probably some substance to the legend of him.

I've visited his basilica at (you guessed it), Assisi.

He was a real person who founded the Franciscans. Or so the story goes