• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you judge girls/women by the clothes they wear?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Victor said:
It tells you partly about them. But there is always so much more to know.

I agree . :) First impressions are just that . And isn't the " getting to know " someone or thing for that matter , the fun part of it ?

As to the reactions I have to some cloths , it uaually goes along the lines of thinking " Isn't that uncomfortible ? " or " How do you manage to { bent over , sit down , or whatever } in that ?" :)

Strange , but I tend not to care for a lot of make-up , yet I like the Goth look on some ... A little off topic , but as I said , Whatever one can make work .

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I live in my pajamas. For me, getting 'dressed up' is actually 'getting dressed.' lol I generally don't care all that much about how I look or how people perceive me. If you want to label me a slob, go ahead.

Btw, I'm currently wearing a Rolling Stones tour 2005 tee and pajama bottoms that don't match. :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Yea Tigress . But if your pajamas is anything like your avie , who would ever call you a slob ? ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
Faint said:
If you see a young woman dressed provacatively, what do you usually think?
Nothing in particular comes to mind. There are a lot of possibilities. Sometimes they are trying to be "sexy" sometimes they do it to **** off their parents or shock people, sometimes they think it's fashionable. There are probably as many reasons as there are provacatively dressed women.

If she has a lot of skin exposed (let's say in general public areas--not the beach) do you tend to think of her as trashy, or a ****, or not worth talking to?

Heck no. I'd miss out on a lot of interesting and funny conversations if I did that. :D

What about girls who wear more conservative outfits? Do you think of them as "prudes" or uptight?
Nope. They have their reasons as well.

And what about the girls who don't seem to give a damn (you know...the ones who show up to class in sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt). What do you think of them?
I resemble that remark. :)

Do you think a girl who spends more time/effort in looking stylish (not necessarily provacative) is usually a better catch than one who doesn't have any fashion sense?
That would depend on what she's trying to catch. As I was not at all interested in men who were attracted to women because they looked like potential trophies, I went out of my way not to dress when the situation didn't warrant it. Any man who cannot or will not look beyond my clothes to see who I am, is simply not worth my time.

All around, do you think fashion defines the woman?
Quite possibly. My attire at the moment is a pair of denim capris (it's 100 degrees here today) and a scrub top. This might well define me as a practical woman, not extravagant, and ready to work, who feels my comfort is far more important than your opinion :))).

nutshell

Faint said:
This came up in the "rape due to dress" thread so I thought I'd branch off here...

If you see a young woman dressed provacatively, what do you usually think? If she has a lot of skin exposed (let's say in general public areas--not the beach) do you tend to think of her as trashy, or a ****, or not worth talking to? Guys/lesbians: are you more attracted to girls who wear such outfits?

What about girls who wear more conservative outfits? Do you think of them as "prudes" or uptight?

And what about the girls who don't seem to give a damn (you know...the ones who show up to class in sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt). What do you think of them?

Do you think a girl who spends more time/effort in looking stylish (not necessarily provacative) is usually a better catch than one who doesn't have any fashion sense?

It's been demonstrated through experiments that men judge women based on appearance and women judge men as well. A sad, but true, part of our society.

Circle_One

If you see a young woman dressed provacatively, what do you usually think? If she has a lot of skin exposed (let's say in general public areas--not the beach) do you tend to think of her as trashy, or a ****, or not worth talking to? Guys/lesbians: are you more attracted to girls who wear such outfits?
I tend to think "Ooh, I want that shirt/skirt/etc." Hehehe. (I'm one of those chicks that dress "provacatively").

Not necessarily. I think maybe sometimes I make that unfair judgement, but usually I try not to judge people on the way they dress or the way they look (I tend to get judged for the way I look, a lot, so I try not to do it to others).

I'm also one of those. I wear what I want, when I want. If I feel like going to the club in a halter top that basically just covers my boobs, a mini skirt and hooker boots, I will. But at the same time, if I feel like going to a club in sweatpants, a ratty, old band shirt and kicks, I will. If people don't like it, look somewhere else. I don't dress for other people. I dress for me.

No. I tend to not be attracted to girls who spend most of their life looking for the perfect outfit or the perfect eyeshadow. I despise people who put too much into the way they look.

Not at all! The woman defines the fashion (or should anyway), IMO.

zombieharlot

Some Kind of Strange

I guess it depends. If I'm in Hollywood I really don't care what people dress like. But if I see someone at a park or somewhere where there's bound to be a lot of children, I think more conservative clothes are appropriate.

I probably do more so than I'd like to admit. But how am I to really know anything? She could've just got off of work.

This actually doesn't bother me at all. It's nice to be comfortable every so often.

Not really. I'd say that I do to a degree though. As long as they don't let themself go and are decently groomed, I'm okay with that.

Only those that want it to.:D

Fluffy

A fool

I rarely think anything negative (scouring my brain now but nothing is coming up). Normally I either do not realise at all or, more commonly think something along the lines of "wow she is half naked.... nice!"

If there is a correlation between half-nudity and giving out free sex, it is certainly not an avenue that I have explored far enough to make any sort of judgement about.

The same goes for just about anything that women wear but I do tend to go "wow nice" when I see women wearing less than more. Assumedly if I saw a women in a baggy t-shirt covered in curry stains then my reaction would not be the same. I just would never have a negative reaction towards them.

I think this works out great for all involved. If I am too shallow to be interested in girls who wear things that are not attractive to me (I am yet to see this one) then they sure as hell wouldn't be happy with me anyway.

I don't think fashion says anything about a women's personality... there may be a few generalisms we could form and chuck around but I don't think they would hold a large enough proportion of the time in order to be useful. Of course that it is irrelevant as far as how I am attracted to people. That just does what it likes.

bigvindaloo

Faint said:
This came up in the "rape due to dress" thread so I thought I'd branch off here...

I think women define themselves by fashion. What they wear says a lot about how they feel. This is not frivolous. I have learned a lot from my relationships with women about the importance of appearances (although I am unlikely to ever give it adequate weight).

evearael

Don't forget bisexuals! It depends on how she is carrying herself. A woman carrying herself with confidence and dignity can get away with a lot more revealed and still be attractive. I've observed many women wearing very little to compensate for a low self-esteem as indictated by body language as well as their words... it doesn't work. Children should NOT be allowed to wear provocative clothing. It is really scary what parents are letting their kids wear these days...

Again, if they are carrying themselves well... it depends whether they are projecting the confidence that they don't need to show off their body to get respect or whether they are just hiding behind all the clothing.

I can sympathize! While recovering from heart surgery, I honestly couldn't care less about fashion! As long as they are tidy, I don't mind. I feel the most basic grooming shows that you care about yourself (not vanity, just self-respect). Clean t-shirt and sweat pants are fine... I don't care for it so much if it's been worn for three weeks straight.

I prefer the quality of their character and mind to devotion to designers.

No. It is one of many ways to express yourself.

Flappycat

Do...do I judge women by the clothes they wear? Huh? Damned right. If a woman is wearing a hideous outfit, I'm going to say "Oh, man. How...how vulgar!" The thing is, clothing is a part of our communication between ourselves and the world around us. Consciously exposing a great deal of skin sends out a message, and people are going to pick it up. Even people who are more egalitarian are going to subconsciously read something into another person's choice of dress. Yes, if a woman goes cruising by in an outfit that has the same effect as wearing a thong, I'm going to think "oh, is she out cruising?" If a woman is wearing something that carefully conceals most of her shape, I'll think "Oh, dear god...it's like a funeral shroud." No, I don't consciously judge the entirity of a woman's character by how she dresses on a particular day. I do, however, eventually come to make judgements about people based on what they've communicated to me.

I wholly respect casual dress, by the way. It expresses, to me, a casual and laid-back attitude, and I like that. People who dress comfortably project that comfort onto those around them. The only people I'd imagine not liking it are those who are averse to feeling relaxed or comfortable.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
What if the lady { or person , male or female } is wearing a uniform ? Is carrying an armfull of pamphlets , or a clipboard ? Wearing dark glasses , and carries a white cane ?

The messages we get from the appearance of others are not limited to sexual .

Flappycat

kreeden said:
The messages we get from the appearance of others are not limited to sexual .
I know. The central topic seemed to be sexuality, so that's what I geared my response toward.

Arrow

I have to agree with some of the above statements. Who you are reflects in all that you do including the clothes that you wear.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Flappycat said:
I know. The central topic seemed to be sexuality, so that's what I geared my response toward.

:) I wasn't directing my post towards you , or anyone in particlar . Just making a statement to clearify what I meant on the other thread { which this thread was based upon }.

I sometimes wonder if we have desensitised yourselves to ... well , to your senses . True , we shouldn't judge people upon appearance alone , but have we gone too far ? Do we just shut down the messages that our senses are giving us ? Do we live in self made bubbles ? Can I ask more questions in one post then Sunstone ? ;)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
When I'm not going out...I'm a classic frump because I'm home and I just want to be comfortable. If that makes me a prude, whatever. I really don't care. My husband isn't complaining and aside from myself, he's the only one I care to please anyhow.

Even when I go out in public, most of my energy goes to doing up my makeup as nice as I can. I put a little time into my hair. But...I'm still a jeans and tee shirt girl to the core.

I normally don't give a rat's rear about what others are wearing.

The one scenario that does turn my stomach though, is when young girls wear provacative clothing.

The last outing that my family took to the mall, I was disgusted by some of the fashions that young girls are wearing these days AND that department stores are selling to young girls...skirts that are way too short...shirts that are way too low cut or short. I think it's disgusting. And as a parent, I would never allow my young daughter to walk out the door wearing some of the crap that these girls are wearing.

Don't get me wrong...with two young children...I would really prefer NOT to be around grown women who have their arses and chests popping out of their clothing but I don't think that I'm really in the place to judge grown women for what they're wearing and I don't necessarily feel that wearing provocative clothing equates to sluttiness.

There was a woman in my area just a week or two ago who was actually asked to leave the mall for wearing really short shorts. People within the mall actually complained to mall security about her and they asked her to leave. I thought that this was a bit ridiculous.

For one, the shorts weren't that short. This woman was very slim and the shorts looked good on her. Secondly, she was an adult, with her kids in tow and although I probably wouldn't make that sort of clothing choice...it's totally her right to make such a choice. I don't feel that anyone really had the right to embarass her the way they did. They made a spectacle out of her and drew attention to her clothing by asking her to leave.

They showed a picture of her in the paper in her shorts and I wouldn't have paid her any mind at all had I seen her in the mall.

I think that there's a time, place and age to wear certain clothing. I also think that people of all ages express themselves through clothing. I don't think that through this expression, young girls should be given the green light to dress inappropriately.

As for me...I'll continue carrying on as a happy "frump".