• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do you judge girls/women by the clothes they wear?

Faint

This came up in the "rape due to dress" thread so I thought I'd branch off here...

If you see a young woman dressed provacatively, what do you usually think? If she has a lot of skin exposed (let's say in general public areas--not the beach) do you tend to think of her as trashy, or a ****, or not worth talking to? Guys/lesbians: are you more attracted to girls who wear such outfits?

What about girls who wear more conservative outfits? Do you think of them as "prudes" or uptight?

And what about the girls who don't seem to give a damn (you know...the ones who show up to class in sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt). What do you think of them?

Do you think a girl who spends more time/effort in looking stylish (not necessarily provacative) is usually a better catch than one who doesn't have any fashion sense?

All around, do you think fashion defines the woman?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
If you see a young woman dressed provacatively, what do you usually think? If she has a lot of skin exposed (let's say in general public areas--not the beach) do you tend to think of her as trashy, or a ****, or not worth talking to? Guys/lesbians: are you more attracted to girls who wear such outfits?
In general public areas I just sometimes wonder if she forgot to put more clothes on that morning... (at Warped Tour yesterday I saw someone wandering around in just a bra! I was wondering if she forgot her shirt that morning in her excitement to get there or just lost it crowdsurfing or in a mosh pit somewhere... :eek:)

Also... how young are you talking? A lot of younger teenagers (and younger- and sometimes older teens) really don't understand what clothing- or lack of- can mean. They usually just want to look like all their friends and the current fashions without thought to the sexual undertones.

It doesn't attract or turn me off. I'm more interested in things like a smile and confidence and kindness.
What about girls who wear more conservative outfits? Do you think of them as "prudes" or uptight?
I have a lot of respect for people who dress like that.

I myself dress like that, usually a feminine top that does cover the "girls" or a band shirt (I have too many Tool shirts!) that definately covers 'em, haha! And most of the time I wear baggy pants or a long Indian skirt.

Tight clothing gives me panic attacks, so that's part of the reason I dress more conservatively, and because I dress for me- I wear things that are comfortable and that I feel relect my personality and sense of style. I hope people are more interested in who I am than what I'm wearing and whatever guesses they draw from my dress to what kind of person I am.
And what about the girls who don't seem to give a damn (you know...the ones who show up to class in sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt). What do you think of them?
As long as you're comfortable (and clean!) it's all good. :D
Do you think a girl who spends more time/effort in looking stylish (not necessarily provacative) is usually a better catch than one who doesn't have any fashion sense?
Not really.
Sure, it's a good way to sort of get an idea of what kind of personality they have, but I wouldn't always judge their morals on it.

Bishka

Veteran Member
I think whatever a girl wants to wear is her darn business. I for one enjoy dressing in bellbottoms, 60's band shirts and psychdelic fabric clothing. Does that make me not pretty? Or prudish?

You know i guess I look at girls that dress differently differently depending in what mood im in.

If i'm at a club I look for a girl that dress's a little on the risky side, but not skanky, that still holds her feminine dignity. You also can kind of read a girl to see if shes easy by how she dress's and if she is, at least I, find an excuse to get out of the conversation.

If I'm looking for a companion I like hippy skirts, exotic tops, bare feet.

Laying around the house after making love I love to see her in pajamas. Or going out to breakfast.

I think girls just need to pick and choose what they like I guess what I'm saying there is a day when we all get lazy, there are days we all get casual, and there are days we all dressed to impress.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I think whatever a girl wants to wear is her darn business. I for one enjoy dressing in bellbottoms, 60's band shirts and psychdelic fabric clothing. Does that make me not pretty? Or prudish?

That means you have awesome and unique fashion sense. :D As long as you are happy with your dress, everyone else should be.

Annnd I love bellbottoms!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In general, I tend to see clothing as more a reflection of someone's esthetic sense than of their moral sense. I don't know how many women dress to make moral statements, but I suspect it's fewer than those who dress to make esthetic statements. Of course, I'm thinking of older women here.

High school girls, I suspect, tend to dress as often to make sexual statements as they do esthetic statements. That's just a suspicion on my part, and I couldn't prove it if I had to. But from what I've seen, high school girls seem to be very concerned, compared to older women, with expressing their new found sexuality. It's kind of cute.

I would be put off by a woman who dressed purely to make a moral statement. I don't care what moral statement. I'd probably think she was a fanatic of some sort. :eek:

How a woman dresses is much less important to me, as far as appearance goes, than how she carries herself.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
I try not to judge anyone by their outer appearance. If a person wants to cover themselves from head to toe, that's cool, and the same for anyone who wants to go nude, or partially nude.

standing_on_one_foot

Faint said:
No. Gets your notice at the time, sure, but clothing level and actual attractiveness don't always match.

Faint said:
No, not necessarily. Although if you were to show me a girl who dressed conservatively and a girl with minimal clothing and force me to say which was likely to be more uptight, I'd guess the conservative. It is the impression you get.

Faint said:
Good for them, if they really don't care.

Faint said:
Not necessarily, although I do appreciate some effort. But no, if we're going to discuss people as catches, a great person you get along with but has no fashion sense is better one than a horrible one with fashion sense. Plus, I have no fashion sense. We'd match :p Although if you can get a great person with fashion sense, well...

Faint said:
Nah. But it does affect how people view the woman.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Clothing is a part of the " first impression " we have of another .

Whatever works for you , or whatever you can make work . :) But it definitity is saying something .

Bishka

Veteran Member
jamaesi said:
That means you have awesome and unique fashion sense. :D As long as you are happy with your dress, everyone else should be.

Annnd I love bellbottoms!

Thanks...:D

I'm currently wearing my Rolling Stones jeweled tee and my homemade bellbottoms. :D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Faint said:
She probably wouldn't get my attention. I wouldn't put much thought into it.
Faint said:
Nope.
Faint said:
I would think they are there to learn. That's pretty much it.
Faint said:
They would get more attention. But whether they are a "better" catch would be determined by what I know about them outside of style and skin.
Faint said:
It tells you partly about them. But there is always so much more to know.

You all make good points that probably why my relationships don't last because I don't like to become attached to girls i'm attracted too. I don't really get to know them. We just have similar habits and sex. Damn I'm shallow.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
beckysoup61I'm currently wearing my Rolling Stones jeweled tee and my homemade bellbottoms. :D[/quote said:
Obviously you are advocating the use of controlled substances and protesting the Viet Nam War. I'm shocked!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I'm currently wearing my Rolling Stones jeweled tee and my homemade bellbottoms. :D
And I'm wearing a ollld baggy Tool shirt and a long grey skirt (that I get a surprising amount of compliments on for just being a plain cotton skirt) and a pair of Havaiana sandals. :) I didn't really feel like dressing up for the CAT scan this morning- but hey, I'm comfy!
And oooh! Homemade bellbottoms! I make a lot of my skirts.

I suppose we'll just have to huddle together in the "fashionless" corner! :faint:

Bishka

Veteran Member
jamaesi said:
I suppose we'll just have to huddle together in the "fashionless" corner! :faint:

Oh yeah! That's us. So unfashionable. :D I like buying 60ish clothing and making it modest (cause I don't wear unmodest stuff)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not Judge Girls,
On their dress or any thing else.
Some people I like, some I care for, some I avoid.
All of these people may fall into different groups for others.

Live and let live,
If you can be of help to someone and they accept it ,fine.
If not, don't judge and don't interfere.

Which group would you fall into, when it is the girls turn to judge?

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend
Faint said:
If you see a young woman dressed provacatively, what do you usually think?

Insecure, empty, needy, attention driven, Histrionic... avoid her.

Faint said:
If she has a lot of skin exposed (let's say in general public areas--not the beach) do you tend to think of her as trashy, or a ****, or not worth talking to? Guys/lesbians: are you more attracted to girls who wear such outfits?

It isn't the amount of skin that is being shown. There are pleanty of clothes that reveal skin but do not draw obvious attention to a woman's sexuality. In the summer, less clothes the better, but you don't have to try so hard to draw attention to your breasts, bottom, or groin.

Faint said:

It depends. Turtlenecks and closed-necked shirts and sweaters appear a bit overly conservative. If she doesn't look comfortable, one wonders why she is dressed so tightly, or why she is wearing heavy clothes is she looks hot.

Faint said:

Some come off as slobs, others come off as just being practical. It depends.

Faint said:

Not necessarily, but a woman that dresses well and appropriately is usually someone who cares about her body, her health, and her image. She'll usually have a healthy self-image to boot. Too much makeup is a sign of insecurity. So is too much jewlery. But style + moderation + plus confidence is a sexy combination.

Faint said:

No, but women will choose clothing for a reason. It isn't random, so it does say something. It usually takes a while to learn those reasons. Maybe she's not a slob, she just dresses in modest, comfortable clothing. Maybe she's not a **** or insecure, she's just vain and enjoys flaunting what she's got. Maybe she's not uptight, but was raised by uptight parents, or maybe she is religious.

Clothing can tell you a lot. Sometimes it can tell you all you need to know. You just have to be open to having your first impression being wrong.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
Faint said:
This came up in the "rape due to dress" thread so I thought I'd branch off here...

Really these same questions can be asked about a guy.

IMO, Dress is typically due to what people think of themselves, or how people want to be perceived. To answer your question, I try not to judge a person by their dress. I have known some really smart people that dress like they could care less about anything. I have also known someone that dressed somewhere in between stylish and provacative (my wife when we first met :D), but she was conservative type of person in her values and actions.