• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Have the Right to Critique a Book You've Never Read?

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
The Bible and Book of Mormon are sometimes criticized by non-readers in these forums. But this question could apply to any book, religious or non-religious.

nutshell

Sure. A person can can critique a book, TV Show, movie, etc. that they never read (saw). The real question is: How valid is such a critique? In general, I would say such a critique is not very valid. However, it is possible to gather information about the book without actually reading it and coming to a reasonable conclusion about the book. For example, I don't know many Mormons who have seen the film "Passion of the Christ" for one reason or another. However, based on media coverage, places such as the RF, and other sources, the person may gather information regarding the movie and decide whether it's for them or not.

Nanda

Polyanna
I don't think you should criticize a text, religious or otherwise, without reading it first. However, I feel that it's more than alright to criticize the actions of the people who adhere to that text, whether you've read it or not.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Sure. A person can can critique a book, TV Show, movie, etc. that they never read (saw). The real question is: How valid is such a critique? In general, I would say such a critique is not very valid. However, it is possible to gather information about the book without actually reading it and coming to a reasonable conclusion about the book. For example, I don't know many Mormons who have seen the film "Passion of the Christ" for one reason or another. However, based on media coverage, places such as the RF, and other sources, the person may gather information regarding the movie and decide whether it's for them or not.

Good point. I have judged many movies without seeing them. Meaning, I have decided not to see a movie, before I've seen it.

I don't think you should criticize a text, religious or otherwise, without reading it first. However, I feel that it's more than alright to criticize the actions of the people who adhere to that text, whether you've read it or not.

Yes, as long as you don't focus on a minority and ignore the majority. And sometimes, people who adhere to a text, haven't read it either.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
That's actually insanely common around here. Everybody's Catholic, no one's actually cracked a bible. :rolleyes:

I'm not a Catholic, and I've studied the Bible my whole life. But I see your point. Sometimes a religion is more of a culture, or title, rather than a religion.

nutshell

And they have that right. Did they read it all? The New Testament, with the words of Christ? Questions to think about.

That reminds me: there was an investigator on my mission who loved the BoM because it didn't talk about circumscision like the OT.:D

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
If you understand the basic gist of, let's say, the Bible or the Qur'an, then yes, you can rightfully condemn of approve of it.

Somkid

I would say it is unfair to criticize something you haven't read or have a full comprehension of. In general that goes for anything not just books.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
What about Mein Kempf? I will admit to have never read it, but I could still probably object to its contents.

I thought about that before I started this thread. Knowing what we know the evilness of Hitler, you're probably making a reasonable assumption. Has anyone given it a positive review? None that I've heard of.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
You can get a reasonable overview of a newspaper article with a quick scan and catch the gist and you immediately start forming opinions no? You could do the same with the bible. Whether or not those opinions are well-informed or not is a different matter however.

Smoke

Done here.
The Bible can be its own worst enemy. I'm aware of a number of individuals who after actually reading it, deconverted.
I'm sure there are people who have read the entire Bible and still believed it to be inerrant, but I can't imagine how they accomplished that trick. When it comes to the Bible, familiarity breeds, if not contempt, then at least a certain cynicism.